PDA

View Full Version : Important questions

det310
07-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Hello all,
I have 2 questions:

1.) I will be starting at AUA in Septemeber in Antigua. In December I plan on going to India for my friends wedding. NOw while returning, if I end up missing up 2 days in the begenning of the semester, will it hurt me a lot. Am i allowed to do that?

2.) Even though AUA is not approved by state of California, will I be eligible to residency in California after I gradaute from AUA, and then practive ins ome other state even if AUA does not get approved in California. Thanks

aedmd2b
07-15-2006, 01:15 PM
No comming two days late won't hurt you as far as classes are concerned but it may hurt your wallet. Usually the school charges a $500 U.S. late fee, but you should be able to avoid that by letting the registar and someone in admissions know that you will be late. No big deal.

AEDMD2B
December cometh and I am off this rock.

aedmd2b
07-15-2006, 01:21 PM
From what I understand if you are not a graduate of a school on California's list you can do anything there. So if you want Cali go to Katurba it is on the list. There are lots of people on campus now that are intersted in Cali but the application process is long and Cali won't retro an approved status to previous grads.

AEDMD2B

ladybug1983
07-16-2006, 08:22 AM
From what I understand if you are not a graduate of a school on California's list you can do anything there. So if you want Cali go to Katurba it is on the list. There are lots of people on campus now that are intersted in Cali but the application process is long and Cali won't retro an approved status to previous grads.

AEDMD2B

What do you mean by graduate or previous grads? of what?

aedmd2b
07-16-2006, 12:00 PM
My fault it means that if your school is not on the California list you can't do anything medical in California except rotations at the Vetrans Administration, because that is a federal institution. A guy who was the clinical coordinator at St. Luke School of Medicine that graduated from Spartan got his rotations like that. Don't what happen to him haven't heard from him in over three years. The other point is say that you graduated from a school in 2008 and the school got approved in 2009 because you graduated before the school got approval you stil can't do rotations,residency or get a lic.

AEDMD2B
December Cometh and I am off this rock.

Lord.Antigua
07-16-2006, 04:58 PM
There are quite a few students at AUA that are from California.

We should unite and fight against the discrimination!

No one should be discriminated based on the education background. If there is no such education requirement to be the california governor, why should we be judged by where we got our two years of basic science?!

mardi_gras
07-16-2006, 05:06 PM
If there is no such education requirement to be the california governor, why should we be judged by where we got our two years of basic science?!

Because bad doctors kill people, and a lot of people think that IMGs are bad doctors. I don't agree, but that's the way it is. Doctors trained in the US can be bad too, but no one sees it that way.

You know what's even worse? If you do not do your clinical rotations in ACGME-affiliated hospitals, some states will not give you a license. However, if you do your rotations in another country, you can get licensed in those same states without any problems. Now tell me THAT is fair!

MEDSCHVIEWER
07-16-2006, 10:46 PM
There is no discrimination. The California Medical Board merely reviews medical schools to determine its students' eligibility for state physician licensure. Going to Kasturba will help you but not as a student of AUA. As a Californian, you will have to do residency outside CA and hope that one day as a physician in good standing and licensed at another state, you can be admitted by reciprocity.

Check the California Department of Consumer Affairs - Business and Professions Code.

OR call Pat Park in Sacramento!

aedmd2b
07-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I beg to differ it clearly states on the California State Board of Medical Examiners website that they do not reciprocity a license from another state if you are not a graduate of one of approved schools. Note that not only foreign schools are listed but also all of the LCME schools are listed too.

AEDMD2B
December Cometh and I am off this rock.

Lord.Antigua
07-18-2006, 03:43 AM
It is plain simple discrimination based on a person's education background.

According to the current stupid laws that they have, all aua graduates are banned from california forever. They are not criminals but they are not allowed to practice medicine in California even if they got all the licenses from all other states!

jameslynton
07-18-2006, 07:47 AM
It is plain simple discrimination based on a person's education background. No - discrimination has nothing to do with it - it the rules setup for professional practice by the Medical board of the state of Ca. If you don't like the rules go to - first get into a US school - if you did not do that then go to Ross, SGU, AUC or Saba which are approved by Ca Medical board. That is just the way things are. BTW - the professional boards after being setup are independent of the law makers to a large degree.

States are free to setup their own rules governing professional practice(s) discrimination has zero to do with it. Also while you are looking at their rules you will see that Saba is effective dated - grads before a certain date can't be approved.

Please - get a pair of man pants - please quit yelling the "D" word about Ca. If you want to practice there do what is hard and nessary to get there. Just my .02s.

I wanted NY approved school - not because I want to live and practice there but the residency I would like to do is there. That and the excellent staff teaching at AUA are my reasons for my choice to go there.

aedmd2b
07-18-2006, 10:54 AM
James that what it means "at their own discretion" they can discriminate. Now discrimination itself is not a bad thing it is the abuse of discretion/discrimination that is the problem. For example, you are going to buy a house you expect the house to be inspected and up to code. That is a fine discriminary action. Because if you do buy a house that is not up to code then you are risking not only your investment but the health and very lives of yourself and loved ones. The code that all must meet are the passing the boards and finishing residency. Now say that you found out that your desicion to reject the house is based on you found out that the person that inspected the house was trained in another country but meet all of the requirements and passed the proper examinations , as set forth by the powers that be, then that is abuse of discretion. That is exactly what California is saying. See you have to understand what is going on here. If it was simply to truely define if a school is presenting a suffcient and legitimate education, there would be strict guidelines published that would define competence not that you are trying to acertain if the education is the same as a California school, only California schools can give you that same experience. Another example JACHO accredidation of health care facilities. You are given a copy of the rules and exactly what criteria the facility must meet based uopn it's level and extent of service. California wants to pick and choose at it's own discretion who is competent and who is not. Now don't get me wrong I am not trying too cut anybody down but we live in a world might makes right and politics dictate policy.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term

jameslynton
07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey I agree - "at their own discretion" they can discriminate". They put these rules in place. However, knowing the rules and then choosing to go to a school that is not approved - is your choice. One of the hardest fights is against City Hall/and/or political types. Pick fights you can win - is your choice here. Tons of words are written on VMD about this. It is up to each student to make the choices they need to make for their professional future. That is my point.

aedmd2b
07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Very well said James. Because the whole point is once you can choose to go to Kasturba. But the thing is California wants as few as possible foreign fish in their medical pond. Take look forward to meeting you in the fall.

AEDMD2B
AUA 3rd semester/term
Decmeber cometh and I am off this rock.

DRJJ1
09-20-2006, 09:09 AM
simply put,,if you put in the time and passed all tests then you should be able to practice any where you feel period!!!!!!!

discrimination in schools is a money maker for the state if they don t want to play ball with the state then the state punishes them for not paying up to be reviewed..you think calif cares so much more than any other state about drs who passed and should be able to practice? NO!!! MONEY IS THE REASON fees they get for review of the schools you don t review and pay then we crush you

Lord.Antigua
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM
This is clearly discrimination based on a person's educational background!

Are all those board members graduates of ivy schools? Did the governor of california graduate from a college? Is there a eligibility mental test for anyone who wants to be the president of the USA?

How can the medical board say that American graduates from the Caribbean med. schools are no good?! Then let graduates from other coutnries who did not even learn medicine in English to practice freely in California?

DRJJ1
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
This is clearly discrimination based on a person's educational background!

Are all those board members graduates of ivy schools? Did the governor of california graduate from a college? Is there a eligibility mental test for anyone who wants to be the president of the USA?

How can the medical board say that American graduates from the Caribbean med. schools are no good?! Then let graduates from other coutnries who did not even learn medicine in English to practice freely in California?

Arnold is not even from the same friggen country, I do believe this rule can be challenged and should be attacked from all angles from the people who want to practice in calif, do not be afraid and fight it.

ms415
01-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know if the school is taking any steps to get accredited in California? I looked at the Medical Board of CA and AUA was disapproved recognition in 1995. :confused:

sreec
01-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I looked at the Medical Board of CA and AUA was disapproved recognition in 1995.

AUA didn't exist till 2004.

MajMD
01-15-2007, 07:43 PM
No comming two days late won't hurt you as far as classes are concerned but it may hurt your wallet. Usually the school charges a $500 U.S. late fee, but you should be able to avoid that by letting the registar and someone in admissions know that you will be late. No big deal.

AEDMD2B

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a $250 late fee?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.