PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to premed?

deathhand15
07-10-2006, 09:13 PM
hi all

.. um.. um.. just ignore my login name... its the identity i have pretty much with all the online games i USED:D to play...

just joined this site and wow there are some really intresting threads in here.

just reading through.... and i was wondering if there was any people going for the premed program in september?

reading through i have not found out anyone from premed.. it seems like everyone is starting basic sciences

Mr.Doc
07-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey, I'll be in premed starting September also.

nomz
07-11-2006, 03:03 AM
i am a hopeful premed student, maybe i'll see you there

deathhand15
07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
just wondering ... how much did the books cost you altogether...

:( ... still in the process of buying those books..:( i know i know.. i hope i dont buy them too late.

mitz
07-13-2006, 12:28 PM
i was wondering if you guys were 1st semester pre-med or 3rd semster

nomz
07-13-2006, 03:20 PM
i am 1st semester premed

MarRiA
07-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey, I am a 1st sem premed student too! Im in the process of buying books...haven't really started but I'm goin to =-) does anyone know of any good sites or should I just buy them at the school bookstore?

nomz
07-15-2006, 05:18 AM
well i am going to hold off till my loans come through. i think someone else posted a thread about books for cheap...here is the link http://www.valuemd.com/american-university-antigua-aua/116720-books.html
anyways i guess i will see you there...i got accepted yesterday!! :)

AYLW
07-15-2006, 08:50 AM
premed is only the beginning....

deathhand15
07-18-2006, 01:19 AM
thanks nomz for that link

well... good luck all and so far i know 3 people going there. Nomz, Maria and mr. Doc.

lol a pretty small class:) .

ps. Aywl - um... "premed is only the beginning" ????!!!! ...
no way aywl...... ur kidding me... i had no idea... ur a genius

nomz
07-18-2006, 04:10 AM
do you guys have any idea about the daily schedule for premed? basic science is pretty packed from what i heard in another thread. hopefully someone can fill me in

mitz
07-19-2006, 12:03 PM
ummm this is a lil weird i know but i was wondering how old everyone was!

mitz
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
one of my posts went missing...so here.it is agin:)

I am in premed too and i found some good deals on books on campusi.com

i was also wondering if i should get all the book or go by the semster?

drtuby
07-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Finally after giving it much thought I have applied to go to AUA's Premed program. I am scheduled for a phone interview this coming Tues. Can anybody tell me what that's like? What do they ask? What should I expect and what do they expect from me?:confused:

jameslynton
07-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Finally after giving it much thought I have applied to go to AUA's Premed program. I am scheduled for a phone interview this coming Tues. Can anybody tell me what that's like? What do they ask? What should I expect and what do they expect from me?:confused:

First - BE YOURSELF - I have that in caps because it is important...after that I would say in your own head know what your motivation is for pre-med and beyond. Next - know what you wrote on your essay and know what is in your transcripts. If you had less than perfect grades - access why you got them and what you learned from them. Don't blame the prof's/teachers/school you went to fess up to your goofs and issues.

Look at the interview as a problem solving session. You are also looking at AUA - have your questions on hand. The school has to meet your needs.

Next search back in the threads and see what others said about their interviews - last time I looked in the last six months their were interview question threads.

Hope this helps.

drtuby
07-20-2006, 05:04 PM
First - BE YOURSELF - I have that in caps because it is important...after that I would say in your own head know what your motivation is for pre-med and beyond. Next - know what you wrote on your essay and know what is in your transcripts. If you had less than perfect grades - access why you got them and what you learned from them. Don't blame the prof's/teachers/school you went to fess up to your goofs and issues.

Look at the interview as a problem solving session. You are also looking at AUA - have your questions on hand. The school has to meet your needs.

Next search back in the threads and see what others said about their interviews - last time I looked in the last six months their were interview question threads.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. I can't believe this is finally happening. Any advice that is thrown my way is greatly appreciated.
I have read some threads on interview questions. They mentioned questions like if your friend is cheating and opinion about HMOs in the US, etc...I take it these are the kind of questions they are going to ask?:shock:

Mr.Doc
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks a lot. I can't believe this is finally happening. Any advice that is thrown my way is greatly appreciated.
I have read some threads on interview questions. They mentioned questions like if your friend is cheating and opinion about HMOs in the US, etc...I take it these are the kind of questions they are going to ask?:shock:

Like Jameslynton said.. Be Yourself. It's just gon feel like a chat, more than an interview. Makesure u read up on the posts in the interview questions thread and you will be fine. If you took a copy of the filled application then have in handy, and other documents like transcript, statements, etc. Be talkative, I think when you talk more they tend to ask you less questions, atleast in my case that was the deal. Just relax and makesure u have ur wheaties in the mornin before the interview. Goodluckk!!

jameslynton
07-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Maybe - I interviewed for basic science. So they may have a different set of questions for pre-med. By the Way - my interview had NONE of the questions normally asked in the interviews. It also lasted about twice as long. I am not exactly a normal student going to medical school. So you may have surprises - be prepared for those.

My suggestion - PM some of the current students who are in premed or were in premed. Normally they are pretty busy. But I know one - MDXRS22 try him.

nomz
07-21-2006, 05:36 AM
hey i had my interview for premed and got accepted. i asked the interviewer how my interview went at the end and she said that her job was to see if you are 'real' or just being fake. she told me i was really real and more importantly myself. some questions i was asked were "why medicine?" "what if i realise two years from now that medicine isn't for me, what would i do" also "if i had to summarise myself in three quick sentences to the admissions commitee, what would i say?" "how do my friends refer to me?" "why aua, and where did i hear about it" "how i would handle the work load?" umm other general questions such as strengths and weaknesses. you should just really be yourself, i also wasn't asked any questions about HMO's and about a friend cheating. anyways hope this helps! good luck!

Zohaib5
07-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I wanted to know how the pre-med program at AUA is like. I am thinking about applying and hopefully if I get in, attending as soon as possible. Any bit of information about the program would help. Also, are there other pre-med programs in the caribbeans?

Thanks!

drtuby
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM
hey i had my interview for premed and got accepted. i asked the interviewer how my interview went at the end and she said that her job was to see if you are 'real' or just being fake. she told me i was really real and more importantly myself. some questions i was asked were "why medicine?" "what if i realise two years from now that medicine isn't for me, what would i do" also "if i had to summarise myself in three quick sentences to the admissions commitee, what would i say?" "how do my friends refer to me?" "why aua, and where did i hear about it" "how i would handle the work load?" umm other general questions such as strengths and weaknesses. you should just really be yourself, i also wasn't asked any questions about HMO's and about a friend cheating. anyways hope this helps! good luck!

Hey thanks. That really helps me. At least it has given me an idea of what will happen tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about this. Wish me well!!;)

jameslynton
07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
... I wanted to know how the pre-med program at AUA is like. I am thinking about applying and hopefully if I get in, attending as soon as possible. Any bit of information about the program would help. Also, are there other pre-med programs in the caribbeans?From what I heard the premed is very good at AUA. I think MUA-Nevis has a pre-med, St James, Xavier maybe a few more do also. Ross has a premed program of sorts for a semester that is an intense review. SGU has a MPH degree - which is pretty bogus you do it for a year and then get in their medical school. The grind is you can do the same degree in two years at any good state university in the US. It is basically an MBA for hospital admin's and is of little use for a MD unless accounting/finance/personal and accounts payables/receivables really turns you on. :bored: This is just my opinion.

drtuby
07-25-2006, 02:41 PM
JamesLynton and Nomz, thanks for your advice. I got interviewed today and it went fine. I was relieved to find out that my interviewer is the same guy I have been calling and bothering with questions all along while doing my application. Anyhow for anybody who is interested...first things first read the threads on interviews, they give good advice! Second, these are the questions I was asked: First question was of course, Why I chose this career? I basically had to reiterate my statement I sent in and I gave a little more detail. 2nd question: Will I be able to handle what it takes to study for this career? little sleep, long hours, lots of studying (of course)etc. 3rd ques.: Is there anything in life I have failed in? 4th ques.: If I were the surgeon general, do I think there is room for improvement in the U.S. healthcare system? In the end I asked my questions and it was over...took about 20 minutes.

jameslynton
07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey DrTuby - Good Luck on getting in. We will be pulling for you.

Anthony Brown
07-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Good luck to all that were accepted into the pre-med program. My interview for the med basic sciences program was last Tuesday. I'm still waiting to find out if I'll be accepted for Spetember (I know it's getting late). I can't wait to find out. If I'm accepted, there is a lot of preparation to be done. I hope to see you guys at AUA. I have done A LOT of research into the school and I know people that go here for the pre-med and med programs. They love it. It is a good school and has a bright future.

RAVINDERDHIMAN
07-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Good luck to all that were accepted into the pre-med program. My interview for the med basic sciences program was last Tuesday. I'm still waiting to find out if I'll be accepted for Spetember (I know it's getting late). I can't wait to find out. If I'm accepted, there is a lot of preparation to be done. I hope to see you guys at AUA. I have done A LOT of research into the school and I know people that go here for the pre-med and med programs. They love it. It is a good school and has a bright future.

hey good luck dnt worry you be accepted. good luck

pathan82
07-31-2006, 02:38 AM
I applied to the basic sciences, but got accepted as a fourth semester pre-med, I was a little mad at first but Bob Gelles assured me that I am guranteed a spot in January for the basic sciences. Any one has been in that situation?? I guess I was missing Anatomy/genetics and Molecular cell biology, and they thought it would help me in the long run if I took it before attempting the basic sciences. Anyway, excited to be accepted, and looking forward to seeing you guys there.

mitz
07-31-2006, 12:26 PM
hey i was wondering if any of you know where you will be living i was told i am staying in serendipity

jameslynton
07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
hey i was wondering if any of you know where you will be living i was told i am staying in serendipityI think serendipity means they don't know yet.

mardi_gras
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I think serendipity means they don't know yet.

If I recall correctly, Serendipity was a good movie. ;) Not that anything on the island comes anywhere even close to what you see in the movies.

jameslynton
07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
If I recall correctly, Serendipity was a good movie. ;) Not that anything on the island comes anywhere even close to what you see in the movies.I liked the movie - I think that is a term the NY office is using for we don't know yet where you will be
.... thus Serendipity housing

mardi_gras
07-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I liked the movie - I think that is a term the NY office is using for we don't know yet where you will be
.... thus Serendipity housing

Yeah, it's also the term the NY office is using for clinical rotations - right now I am completing my serendipity rotation.

drtuby
08-01-2006, 09:03 AM
hey i was wondering if any of you know where you will be living i was told i am staying in serendipity

Mitz, i read a thread dated back to mid july on serendipity housing. Check it out. Apparently its new housing opening this sept. 06

mitz
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
hey

i hope it really does not mean we dont know where u are staying
the ny office did not tell me where i was staying i called this lady called michelle on the island and she told me i was staying in seredipity and she said it was a 2 bath 2 bedroom place.

Ash_R
08-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Hello,

Did anyone's acceptance letter read "Modified Pre-Med"? From my understanding it's 3rd and 4th semesters of Pre Med combined. I just wanted to know what I was getting into because I applied for basic sciences. Also, I already took histology and immunology, etc in addition to the Pre Med courses. I have emailed AUA admissions twice and left numerous phone messages but for some reason no one seems to be available.

If anyone has some experience with this, I'd appreciate the feedback.
Thanks!

sreec
08-04-2006, 03:12 PM
You have less than 90 college credits? or rly low grades on pre-med courses?

RAVINDERDHIMAN
08-04-2006, 06:02 PM
i have a question for pre-med students, what are the requirements to go into pre med program in antigua??, and also if somebody has to transfer from one school to antigua can they do it, i am askin this on behalf of my friend coz she is studyin bsc bio and she has , i think 75 credit ryte now.

mitz
08-15-2006, 09:35 AM
hey...i was wonderig if anyone has bough their book....i started to buy them last night and i got all confused...there were newer editions for some book and i was wondering if we were still getting the old edition. so any that has bought thier books or know what they are doing i would reallp appriciate the help

sreec
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
The latest editions are often best. Most courses at AUA don't have specific pages as reading assignments so you won't be at a disadvantage.

Zohaib5
08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know what are the requirements for admission into the pre-med program?

sreec
08-17-2006, 09:48 PM
High school diploma.

mdman71383
08-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey I'm a pre-med student at AUA, if you guys have any questions i can help you ans them. The pre-med program is really good, they work you hard, well 1st and 2nd isnt bad at all, 3rd and 4th is when you really have to work hard. Its a useful program because i have friends in Med and they always tell me remb. everything because it all comes back to you esp. all the bio, from gen. bio to cell bio. I do feel the math is Bull$*&% and most med. students say the same. Well if you need any help just message me and i'll try my best. Wish you all the best!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.