PDA

View Full Version : War in Israel

ytg
06-28-2006, 03:58 PM
The violence and tension b/w the the pales. and israelis seems to be getting pretty big. There is talk of war starting over there or of another Intifada. gets me a bit nervous to go there next year under such conditions.

maji
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM
To me it seems the same if not reduced from what it has been. If things do somehow escelate im sure the US embassy will take care of me. There is a risk with everything, I dont really think about it. Iran is a lot more of a threat I think.

ytg
06-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't think the americans will do anything to help you if there is war going on there. Truth is I am not so nervous bec. I was studying there when the previous intifada was going on I even had a window in my Jerusalem apartment shatter from a suicide bomb. In America people are nervous but once you get there you just don't think about the only thing I tried to do was avoid buses, but even that not always.

maji
06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
If it was a fullout war I am sure the US embassy would get the american kids to safety, as its part of their job to protect their citizens. As far as being nervous, living anywhere has its dangers, and I am pretty sure I have more of a chance dying in a car wreck on the freeway, but I still drive.

Also, if there is a fullout war, with the palestinians , it cant be that full. Israel has resources that Palestine doesnt.. the problem comes in when other middle east countries decide they want to screw israel.

Then its fullout war.. and I dont think that will happen in the next 4 years.

stateofequilibrium
06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
It reminds me of quote from the West Wing,

"What do you call a country where the pizza parlor you're eating at could blow up at any time?"
"Israel."

maji
06-28-2006, 05:33 PM
hah... take a wrong turn? the AUC boards arent anywhere in here.. heheh.

Blueberry
06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
You all are being ridiculous. I lived in Israel for 8 years also during the Intifada and I never felt scared there as I do in the States. Israel has always been in a semi-state of war, thatís how they live there. Plus, Palestinians are more inclined to go after Israeli civilians in the territories, especially since itís harder for them to infiltrate the border. Ramat Aviv is no where near the territories.

You have more of a chance of getting killed in the states for a 5-dollar bill than in Israel by a bomb. Or walking around at night, don't even get me started. As a woman in Israel, I was never scared walking alone at night, here...I would never even imagine doing such a thing.

Just relax, and if you get so scared that you start peeing in your pants you can always just fly back home. Even during the Gulf War there were airplanes coming in and out of Israel.

sajidgidda
06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
You take a risk in going there, that's my opinion. However, it's not a very big one. I wouldn't worry about the Palestinians either, if some of the Middle-Eastern countries decide to help out their muslim brothers and sisters... Then you may have a problem!

To be honest, it's no different to being in the Caribbean and worrying about hurricanes, or in Japan thinking about earthquakes. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen

stateofequilibrium
06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I remember when I visited Israel. We drove in from the border, only time I had a tank aiming at me while we showed our passports. And they inspected EVERYTHING, but God bless those IDF girls.. hot!

maji
06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Yeh.. im not scared about living there, like they said, you cant prevent these things, and you will never be perfectly safe (well maybe, but life would suck). I cant wait to go to ramat.. only like 46 more days or something till I get my falafel... and boy do I want some falafel. And... I am going to get fat off of bissli(bisli?) smokey flavor.

And some eilat chocolate, good stuff.

Blueberry
06-29-2006, 12:29 AM
you are going to get really sick of falafel soon. I never really liked it anyway. But shwarma is gooood! Plus, you can't get fat in Israel, you know how much you walk around there?!? (well if you eat a lot of bissli maybe)

maji
06-29-2006, 02:43 AM
I had no car for all of college in one of the United States largest campuses, so I walked a ton.. that didnt stop me from putting on the freshman 15 and then some. Is there coke zero in israel i wonder... or rather, Coke Efes!

Brilliant.

ytg
06-29-2006, 08:50 AM
for your info in Israel coke is literally double the price than pepsi and then you have this drink called super drink which is pretty bad but very very cheap, so if you're a real cheap miser you will prob. buy the super drink if you're regular cheap you will buy pepsi and if you're a normal american you will buy Coke, that's what I did

maji
06-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeh... Well, im trying to ween myself off of non diet sodas, but regular coca cola is delicious, well, the american blend anyways.

Blueberry
06-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Coke in Israel also tastes different..probably because they have a factory there and maybe cuz the water is different.

ijcMD
07-01-2006, 08:56 AM
It actually has something to do with the sugar in the soda. Coke tastes differently in the US than anywhere in the world. Since there is a sugar embargo in the US (to proctect US sugar-cane producuers), American Coke uses a different ingredient to offset the escalated price of sugar in the US. Most people say that it tastes better outside of the US.

Blueberry
07-01-2006, 05:49 PM
ya, makes sense.

student-2
07-02-2006, 01:05 AM
It's amazing what this thread began as and how it turned out to be!!!

abrukson
07-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Haha, yeah - that's what I was just thinking.

ytg
07-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Well you never know, maybe the pales. will be throwing some Coke propelled quassams at Israel in the near future

maji
07-03-2006, 10:26 AM
American coke uses high fructose corn syrup, but the kosher for passover coke is the real deal :D

marceverett
07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
You all are being ridiculous. I lived in Israel for 8 years also during the Intifada and I never felt scared there as I do in the States. Israel has always been in a semi-state of war, thatís how they live there. Plus, Palestinians are more inclined to go after Israeli civilians in the territories, especially since itís harder for them to infiltrate the border. Ramat Aviv is no where near the territories.

You have more of a chance of getting killed in the states for a 5-dollar bill than in Israel by a bomb. Or walking around at night, don't even get me started. As a woman in Israel, I was never scared walking alone at night, here...I would never even imagine doing such a thing.

Just relax, and if you get so scared that you start peeing in your pants you can always just fly back home. Even during the Gulf War there were airplanes coming in and out of Israel.

What she said... I couldn't agree more. Walk home alone tipsy and know that you'll get there or just enjoy the fact that in Ramat Aviv, they change the flowers in flower beds 3 times during the summer.
Go sit in any ER in Manhattan and then go sit in Ichilov's ER and you'll be bored.
The truth is, when things happen, our families in the states hear and read about it before we even have any idea.

maji
07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Looks like things are starting to heat up over there, I hope it calms down a bit.

abrukson
07-14-2006, 08:39 PM
I am going no matter what - I refuse to let a bunch of violent criminals scare me away from anything.

abrukson
07-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Also to add, for those of you who are in Israel now - I truly hope that all of you remain safe and G-d bless you.

maji
07-17-2006, 01:45 AM
I am watching the news intently. I am set on going in a month, but if it gets any larger scale I will have to sit down and think about it.

student-2
07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
maji- you were all to excited about coming to Il, what's up?
I will write a thread to put things straight!

maji
07-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Oh, im still excited, just cautious, and its safe to be. Im still ready to go in 29 days or whatever it is.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.