PDA

View Full Version : Military Service

abrukson
06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Anyone else who is going to Technion, or I guess any American Med programs in Israel has an Israeli citizenship? The reason I ask is because I am trying to make sure that they won't take me to the army if I go - but so far the best they can offer me is a piece of paper that says that I can stay in Israel up to one year once in my life without having to serve and for two months per year every year after that. Basically it's a delaying my military service but not completely ridding me of it.

By the way I left before I turned 16 in case someone was gonna tell me that :)

student-2
06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
How old are you? I think IDF will grab you only if you are under 20. (at least for girls that holds true). In Sackler the office takes care of it. I am guessing that the other schools take care of it as well.

abrukson
06-21-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm 25, but I don't think that it's all that simple. I know people even older who have gone to Israel and had to serve at least in the reserves if not in the regular army. I asked the secretary at the Technion, but she told me that this is something I must arrange on my own and that the school has nothing to do with this, BGU awhile back pretty much told me the same thing.

It's kind of annoying at this point because the Israeli consulate in Toronto tells me it's something I have to arrange with the army in Israel, but when I call them at the number that I got from the consulate - they tell me at the recruitment office that the consulate should deal with this.

student-2
06-21-2006, 04:10 PM
First of all- welcome to israel- beauracracy galore!
Second of all- I truly doubt that anyone would be ordered to do reserves if he/she didn't serve in the mandatory 3 year service- it just doesn't work that way! BEsides from that- check out if you come on a student visa what they do with you.

ytg
06-26-2006, 08:12 AM
I am an Israeli too and going to the Technion next year, I am seriousely consdering getting rid of my Israeli citizenship, although Rinat the secretary told me I should def. not. i will still do more research on it. basically i want to know if i will become crazy one day and decide to do an aliyah, how bad will it be that i cancelled my citizenship.

student-2
06-26-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't think you can cancel your citizenship. Why would you want to? just b/c of the army? there are other ways to get out of it.

NY ROB
06-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Send me your emails in a private message and I will get you in contact with other guys at the Technion that went through the same process and managed to get out of their military service.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.