PDA

View Full Version : Recent 2nd Sems - now 3rds....

HafSabeen
05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Couple of questions if you please:

1) What's the best way to study for Biochem, Physio, & Neuro?
i.e. just study from the prof's pp's; do q's from BRS, read the txtbook...
2) What is the passing grade for those classes and about average grades for the class? ( i know it depends on the class at hand, but just to get an idea).
3) Any extra tips/advice?

Thanks in advance. :)

mat09
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
For neuro Dr.S's lectures and his notes are what you need. For physio study the text book and combine it with brs and kaplan. kaplan for physio shelf is great. Biochem is equally important to know because in pathology you will regret it if you dont understand bio. For passing biochem exams powerpoints are what you need. I am not sure what to tell you for biochem shelf because it was a disaster for most of the class as far as I know. People who did well please share your preperation.

HafSabeen
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Gotcha - thanks. Where did you guys pick up Kaplan books from? On the island?

LqdPls
05-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Couple of questions if you please:

1) What's the best way to study for Biochem, Physio, & Neuro?
i.e. just study from the prof's pp's; do q's from BRS, read the txtbook...
2) What is the passing grade for those classes and about average grades for the class? ( i know it depends on the class at hand, but just to get an idea).
3) Any extra tips/advice?

Thanks in advance. :)

Neuro: Master the info that Dr. S gives. Then not only will you be able to say that you know neuroscience, but you'll do very well on the shelf. Test yourself with Neuro pre-test.

Biochem: for exams make sure you know Dr. N's power points. For shelf, either know BRS or Lippincot's. Dr. N and Dr. V cover at least 80% of what is tested on the shelf. Test your knowledge at the end of the semester with Biochem pre-test series. Some questions were almost word for word on the shelf exam.

Physio: For important topics like Cardio, Respiratory, Renal, and Endocrine, first watch Kaplan videos, then read BRS (physio BRS is amazing). Everything else, do class notes. The Physio pre-test series wasnt that helpful........the shelf questions were much more difficult.

dawgfan
05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks, That is exactly what I have been doing since the beging of the semester. I hope it works out for me as it did for you.
Thanks again

Neuro: Master the info that Dr. S gives. Then not only will you be able to say that you know neuroscience, but you'll do very well on the shelf. Test yourself with Neuro pre-test.

Biochem: for exams make sure you know Dr. N's power points. For shelf, either know BRS or Lippincot's. Dr. N and Dr. V cover at least 80% of what is tested on the shelf. Test your knowledge at the end of the semester with Biochem pre-test series. Some questions were almost word for word on the shelf exam.

Physio: For important topics like Cardio, Respiratory, Renal, and Endocrine, first watch Kaplan videos, then read BRS (physio BRS is amazing). Everything else, do class notes. The Physio pre-test series wasnt that helpful........the shelf questions were much more difficult.

Banker794
06-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Just to let you know 3rd and 4th semester had the highest yield material on my step 1 exam. Do your best to learn the material right the first time so that later on you will just have to review it. Good luck.

HafSabeen
08-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Just wondering if the people most recently finishing up 2nd, going into 3rd had any new or helpful info?

ccmd2b
08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
For Biochem... be SURE you do well on the block tests and create a cushion going into the shelf. Most people drop 2-3 points off their average with the biochem final. Obviously not everyone is in this boat but a majority of the students are so do well before it's too late for this class!

Just wondering if the people most recently finishing up 2nd, going into 3rd had any new or helpful info?

onesolo
09-12-2006, 11:19 PM

I love this advice... It's great. What you suggest for 3rd? I'm kinda doing the same as you state here but every little bit helps.

camryllionareMD
12-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Is there any new advice for 2nd semester?

aaron1483
12-21-2007, 09:48 AM
keep up keep up and oh yeah keep up!! second semester is way more information than first...in comparison first was much easier than second--you just have to stay up to pace with the professors in each class, read ahead and LEARN the material, you will crash and burn in second semester if you just try to memorize reviews, good luck

camryllionareMD
12-21-2007, 10:49 AM
What books did you use to prepare and read ahead? Thanks for the info so far.

islander84
12-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Neuro - I found Dr. S's notes sufficient, even for the Shelf exam. So make sure you learn his notes very well.

Physio - Notes were good, and used the BRS as a reference.

Biochem - Know Dr. N's notes very well, write down every single word that comes out of Dr. V's mouth, BRS was a good reference especially with all the cycles drawn out for you really nicely. And for third block, Dr. U's notes were very straight forward, questions came right off her powerpoint slides.

Second semester is not hard, just a little more challenging compared to 1st semester, it is a matter of keeping up with the material.

Good Luck!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.