PDA

View Full Version : Gym

Vinodc
05-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Hey i was wondering are there any Fitness centers/gyms on the island or anything offered by the school?

Vinod

MDXRS22
05-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Good question!

I need to work out too and reshape my chicken legs, formerly known as well built.:)

callmedoctor
05-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey i was wondering are there any Fitness centers/gyms on the island or anything offered by the school?

Vinod

hahahahhahahah
- nitya

SonnySays
05-20-2006, 09:03 PM
There's quite a few gyms on Antigua. Each has it's pros/cons.
There is a gym within walking distance of the school, but it can be difficult to walk after dark or a rain storm.
Jolly Harbour has a gym if your lucky enough to get housed there. Cortsland also has gym within walking distance, which is very decent for the price.
Most students with vehicles drive into town to Paradise Gym.

Basically if you want to work out you can.

Huskies
02-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Does anyone have information on the Antigua Athletic Club?

Captain Janazah
02-25-2008, 11:08 AM
i don't need to work out. I was in 300.
if anyone likes, they can feel my six pack, i'll put up a sign up sheet outside of the dps lab.

drforlife
02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Does anyone have information on the Antigua Athletic Club?

Is the one by airport owned by Stanford Financial Group?? Well it's 5 plus starts.. but I think is like 1 grand to join and maybe 300 / month...

swaller
02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Could you tell me where the gym is located that is within walking distance of the campus?

islandthrift
02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Could you tell me where the gym is located that is within walking distance of the campus?

There aren't any gyms within walking distance of campus that I have heard of.

rahulb
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
sunsail is the best gym on the island; they'll give you a student discount
it came out to 700EC for 6 months
the gym is small but nice and air conditioned (THE OTHER GYM ISN'T), and you can use pool, sauna, jacuzzi.
and its not really walking distance

ohmyliver
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
the gym is small but nice and air conditioned (THE OTHER GYM ISN'T), and you can use pool, sauna, jacuzzi.

the best gym on the island...ahahaha yea i disagree. well it depends on what your looking for. i'm not going to say one gym is better than the other. each has its ups and downs, but its really what your looking for in a gym. i worked out at national fitness last semester(which is about a 10 min walk from woods mall) and decided to check out sunsail this semester since it was closer to where i live. the room is small and they dont have much equipment, but if you need a/c, a sauna and pool, then its the place for you.

national fitness is 92 ec a month(with student id). basically a big building with 2 floors, weights and machines on the first and cardio on the second. no a/c (your going to sweat), and there are more locals who are serious about working out. gets busy around 5pm, so if you go before hand its pretty empty. the old guy who works the front Mr. B is genuinely cool dude, used to train body builders so he knows all about fitness.
-not open on sundays and closes around 5 on sat.

i suggest, if you can, check out both places and see what fits for you.

DrNick23
05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Anyone go to Paradise Fitness? Just found this site...it seems nice:
www dot aboutantigua dot com/paradise_fitness (need 20 posts before links)

They quoted me $110 EC/month which seems very reasonable. How long a drive would it be from the west campus?

ohmyliver
05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
it says its on north street, and if i'm not mistaken thats in town. i'd guess its about a 10-30 min drive, depending on how many cows, goats, and locals are walking on the road. driving in downtown st. johns is rough, especially during the day. if you are willing to brave the journey, then it should be a good workout.

QuickSilver
05-20-2008, 04:22 PM

"best gym on the island" i beg to differ cowboy.

Huskies
05-24-2008, 10:25 PM
What is the best gym on the island then?

logik15
05-24-2008, 11:17 PM
i've been to national paradise and sunsail. apparently the best gym id say is at the airport, which is called like antiguan health club or something like that but its outrageously expensive. It is like a 500 US activation fee and like 200 US a month... similar numbers to those, but its just like a bally's so i hear or maybe even better.

Paradise is in downtown. It is a pain in the a$$ trying to drive down there 3-4 days a week just to work out. It'd take like 20-30 minutes and when i went there, there was very limited parking and the neighborhood was kind of ghetto. Their equipment ranged in between sunsail and national. It is A/C'ed and they sell protein there with a working water fountain. I would go here because it is the most reasonable price for the equipment given and the A/C, but its just too inconvenient. THe price mentioned in the previous post was correct like 110 EC per month for membership.

National is the cheapest and offers the most equipment. It is not A/c'ed but it has ceiling fans. The worst thing about it is that there is no water fountain, and there are a lot of rules that they apply. You have to bring seperate sneakers to change into when u get there, and you have to bring a towel or they charge you 3 ec's for you to use one. Unless you are really serious about targetting certain muscle groups and having the most equipment available, then i'd prefer sunsail.

Sunsail has a nice staff that works there and is a tourist resort. So the ppl that work out there are mainly european tourists and students. In national and paradise you see a lot more locals. They give you towels, and have a spring water dispensor with cups available. The equipment is pretty new, but the problem is that the equipment is limited. I described the equipment in a previous post... but as long as they have dumbbells and benches im good. I got my membership there for 750 EC for 6 months. very convenient... in between both campuses, swimming pool, sauna, etc. works for me! The gym also overlooks the ocean and has numerous TV's hanging throughout the gym.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.