PDA

View Full Version : Important Question

det310
04-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Hello,
I recently just got admitted to AUA. Now, my question is, if I attend AUA without an undergrad degree, but i pass the MD program at AUA with good grades and I get between 80-90% on my USMLE's, will I have a problem in obtaining a residency, since I will not have a undergrad degree? Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate everyones feedback.

{ Dr | G }
04-21-2006, 03:43 PM
hey
as far as i know, Most states require atleast 2 years premed education before your md degree(4 years). If you have the 2 years wroth, than your fine i belive, however if you dont, then AUA makes up for that in their 4 semesters of premed which is equivilant to 2 years.
As far as i know AUA fulfills most requirements to enable you to get past the USMLE but as far as residency goes, and licensuer past that i dont think anyone can comment on that since AUA still does not have any people in res or grads working in any states.
In my opinion i think as long as AUA can secure the much talked about NY approval then there set to become a very established institution.
Correct me if i am wrong anyone...
take care

NOTKNOW
04-21-2006, 04:03 PM
not if you have at least 90 semester hours and have taken in those 90 hours:

1) 1 year gen bio
2) 1 year gen chem
3) 1 year orgo
4) 1 year physics (some say a semester but safe side 1 year)

then you will not face any problems

(although if i am not mistaken some states require only 60 hours according to the licensure book but verify that i am just trying to base that on my recollection)

det310
04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
If i dont have Gen Chem 2 in undergrad, but i have passed boards with 80-90%, passed medical school classes at AUA, wil Il still be eligible to apply for residency and not have a problem getting in? For applying to residency, what is exactly the criteria they look for? Because I have 101 semester hours of everything including all of the pre med courses, except
Gen Chem 2/gen Chem Lab2... but I have gottena ccepted to AUA.

nyla2006
04-21-2006, 05:07 PM
This is beyond hypothetical ! You just got accepted, or have you already passed with a 80-90%? Two very different situations, one of them is just an ideal imagination of what might or might not happen when you take the boards ! Take it one step at the time. Talk to the moderators, most of them are doc's and have information.
Why don't you just take chem 2 or what ever you need?

MDXRS22
04-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Hello,
I recently just got admitted to AUA. Now, my question is, if I attend AUA without an undergrad degree, but i pass the MD program at AUA with good grades and I get between 80-90% on my USMLE's, will I have a problem in obtaining a residency, since I will not have a undergrad degree? Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate everyones feedback.
You don't really need a degree in undergrad. As long as you completed the 90 sem/credit hours, you are okay to go.

Congratulations on your acceptance at AUA:)

Just edited:
For the Chem part, which I did not see, you will have to talk to AUA about that.
I had the same amount of credits as you do when I was applying to med schools.

pacemaker911
04-21-2006, 05:52 PM
you need 90 credit hours of pre-med courses to be eligible for any & every US state licensure. that should include 1 yr of each of gen bio w/ lab, gen chem w/ lab, org chem w/ lab, phy w/ lab & eng (or related). if you have all of the above with a 3.0 on a 4.0 GPA scale, ure good to go. else u will have problems if you're missing a course or even a lab. med schools will let you in, giving you some leeway, but its you who will have to face the consequences later on.

Picard
04-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Finish your undergrad degree.
Try USMD/USDO programs.
If not, try more established offshore programs.

There are no shortcuts. Stay in college and finish your degree.

P

Outlaw MD
04-23-2006, 12:21 AM
I agree with picard, det310 after you have completed your doctor of medicine degree, and sit for interviews for residencies. You have to keep in mind that you are from an offshore/Foreign med school to begin with, so They would like to see a closure or some kind of completetion from any insitution that you attened. I would say to defentely complete your undergrad degree. best of luck,

tsingh
04-25-2006, 09:45 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jameslynton
05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
... without an undergrad degree, but I pass the MD program at AUA with good grades and I get between 80-90% on my USMLE's,
Each state has different rules on medical education. In the state or states you are planning to practice in - at least look at their rules before you split to the islands to get a MD degree. Also realize you may be in a serious disadvantage in classes in medical school. While it is true you maybe able to do medical school level work, you may struggle to get passing grades. Plus some states may require a 4 year degree. That will be on their website. You want to make sure any time you go to medical school you can pass the classes. There is a lot of biological and chemical information. So I would say get your degree from a school first then do the MCAT and apply to US medical schools first.
Your good indicators of how well you will do in medical school are your grades in orgainic chemistry, anatomy (yes they teach a biology course in comparitive anatomy at most universities). If you aced with a capital A organic and anatomy - then I would say you would have no problem with medical school - but if you did those grades are are just hot to trot to medical school then I would say wooow horsey and rethink what will really look good for residency and practice.
Now about USMLE board scores - some people try to correlate the Step 1 with MCAT - The step 1 is a knowledge based test. The MCAT is a one part knowledge, speed stressed test with basic science, writing and reading thrown in for good measure. The Step on the other hand is based on extensive medical knowledge which to do well in the scaled score 80-90 range mastery of major and minor medical knowledge in 8+ areas. Please Don't think this 80%-90% correlates with the score 80-90 given on the Step 1. IT does not!!!! A pasting score of 182 is about 60% of the 300 questions given. The average score is 212 means they scored a 70% on the test. A score of 230 if you are coming from a US school will get you in most residencies if you did that the first time, have really good LOR's. Most island school students need at least a 240 80% to get the same consideration (if they are lucky). For the few student who score over 250/99 well the medical world maybe their oyster if they can back it up with really good interpersonal skills, verbal skills and really good LOR's.
Please don't buy the USMLE determines where you go theory - there are many other factors considered inthe match process. No Chief resident or hospital admin want a medical grad in his program who does not have good verbal skills, has the personality of a lizard but scored high on the Step. It is after all just a test. It is not a measure of how you will fit into a team medical enviroment.

godlover
05-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Wha tkind of scores does this school look at?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.