PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Update

empathy
04-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Oregon updated its site to reflect changes occurring in the UK.

St. Christopher's College of Medicine Senegal, UK, Belize Unproven licensure in Senegal. Great Britain ceased accepting its degrees, March, 2006. London operation became a branch campus of Medical University of the Americas, Belize, March 28, 2006.

http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.html

microphage
04-03-2006, 09:28 PM
that was quick.. maybe they read valuemd as well?

hydatiform
04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
They don't have to read VMD. They have their own snitches from here to tell them everything. Oregon's personal cheerleader included. How much is Oregon paying you and AZ to rat out schools, empathy? You're a volunteer... so now I see where your income comes from for living expenses.

I will admit that some schools on there do deserve to be listed (SC-MUAB included). But how could they possibly know about what's going on in Luton this early in the game unless they were snitched to? Especially since no official statements have been made by admin as they are all trying to lay low for the time being. It makes perfect sense to me. I wonder what other groups you all have blabbed to in the past. It's no wonder the actual clinical and match sites for SC students are never explicitly listed on here. You'd be on the phone in a split second telling the sites the "truth" about SC as you see it.

pruritis_ani
04-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Are you seriously complaining about "snitching"???

Perhaps the more appropriate concern is why St. Chris needs to fear this sort of thing...a school that is run properly has no need to fear these "snitches". The problems began with the school, and remain with the school. Anybody who informs state agencies about this is certainly not to blame.

Really, think about what you are complaining about. Do you think everything would be ok if they would just leave SC alone? Sorry, but things would still suck, and the school would still be floundering around in the mud. The more people that know about it, the better.

hydatiform
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Sweety, I'm not "complaining" about anything. I am allowed to make points and state opinions just like everyone else on this site. If you can't beat 'em join 'em, right? And that, my friend, is my humble opinion :D May I ask where you go to school? Just out of curiosity?

hydatiform
04-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh, and adding to that, I don't want you to leave SC alone. I merely think it would be in everyone's best interest to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks instead of finding a new reason to flame the school, old admin, new admin, students, etc every day of the week. That is the mature thing to do, I believe. Then, if it crashes and burns, let the flame wars begin anew! :p There is enough "truth" about the school on here already to keep interested students busy and scared for months on end.

And if people need to know the "truth" about the school... they deserve to know the "truth" about VMD's resident heroes as well, methinks.

pruritis_ani
04-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Sweety, I'm not "complaining" about anything. I am allowed to make points and state opinions just like everyone else on this site. If you can't beat 'em join 'em, right? And that, my friend, is my humble opinion :D May I ask where you go to school? Just out of curiosity?
You are certainly free to your opinion. However, it is my humble opinion that you are looking far from the right direction to see the problems. The problems at SC are all right there at SC. Nobody did this to them, they did it to themselves.

And, I don't go to school anymore. Been there done that. Had fun, got a useful degree and moving on to residency.

I don't plan on saying where I went to school for several reasons. First, it doesn't matter. Second, as I was happy with my school and think it is a good choice, I don't want to mention it for fear of being a cheerleader. Third, I do not wish to give up my anonymity. I have seen threats issued to people by a bunch of psychos that couldn't believe somebody would dare to badmouth their school. I have a life and a job, and I don't feel the need to have any contact with the nut jobs on this board anywhere but on this board.

I am simply in favor of students being given good information to make reasonable choices. I like to call the ** as I see it, and hopefully provide some food for thought when people are considering offshore schools. And, having recently been through the process, I think I have some pretty reasonable insight into what really is important with an offshore school, and what is really candy coating.

Enough about me. Worry less about the messengers and more about the message, would be my advice to you. Those that pass the word along about the huge drawbacks of SC are not making things up. Huge problems currently exist, and many of these problems have always existed, and are not going away any time soon.

pruritis_ani
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh, and adding to that, I don't want you to leave SC alone. I merely think it would be in everyone's best interest to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks instead of finding a new reason to flame the school, old admin, new admin, students, etc every day of the week. That is the mature thing to do, I believe. Then, if it crashes and burns, let the flame wars begin anew! :p There is enough "truth" about the school on here already to keep interested students busy and scared for months on end.

And if people need to know the "truth" about the school... they deserve to know the "truth" about VMD's resident heroes as well, methinks.

Uhh...maybe you weren't paying attention, but the school already crashed and burned. What is happening now is merely a salvage operation.

As of now, the school has nothing. No GMC and ECFMG, no way students can take exams or work in the US. So, if you think "waiting and seeing" is appropriate now, I would have to strongly disagree. Wait and see seems to be the motto of SC. Well, after all this waiting and seeing, I don't think the school could be in much worse shape. We waited for NY approval. Never came. Waited for the GMC to reverse the decision. Didn't happen. Waited for the ECFMG to re-recognize. Still waiting.

On the other hand, the infamous Mr. L's and his questionable credentials and ethics were outed on these forums as less than ethical, which was met with outright hostility from the SC students. The same students that are now filing an injunction against him. There were questions about SC's ability to get students a degree that would get them a license in the states..we are still "waiting and seeing" if that will ever happen, but it looks more remote a possibility with each passing day.

What should happen now is everyone should walk away from the wreckage. Perhaps sometime in the future the school may return to its level in the lower teir of offshore medical schools, but even that is no big deal. There are a lot of crappy schools out there.

hydatiform
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I respect your humble opinion. I am aware FIRST HAND of the problems at this school. I transferred out. I've said it before. And because of MY firsthand experience at this school, I maintain that with the proper leadership, it has the potential to be a good school.

And once again, I see nothing wrong with telling the "truth" about the school. I'm not asking people to lie and "candy coat". I am saying that now that the tides have turned, why don't we all be mature adults and see what the school can do to redeem itself, if possible instead of pointing out faults that have ALREADY been extensively covered in every single thread on here? The students are asking for time. Can we not be good enough to give them that much if we are so very concerned for their future and for the future who those who may come after them?

I don't think it's too much to ask and I hope we finally understand one another as this circular banter is getting tiresome. Good luck to you in your residency endeavors. :truce:

pruritis_ani
04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Those at the school can have all the time they want with or without my blessing.

While I 100% agree that the school may in fact redeem itself, I don't see why anyone should work under that assumption. In fact, I also agree that the school had a great premise, and likely could have been a huge success. However, the man who had the idea was not an ideal person to be given the responsibilty to educate future doctors. Now, the question is whether his idea can be savlaged, and whether those that are now in charge are any better than he was.

If the school redeeems itself, great. I will offer hearty congratulations. However, in the meantime, I think the mature and responsible stance is to advise everyone to steer wide of this operation. Enough with the wait and see. Now it is more like put up or shut up.

hydatiform
04-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Uhh...maybe you weren't paying attention, but the school already crashed and burned. What is happening now is merely a salvage operation.

On the other hand, the infamous Mr. L's and his questionable credentials and ethics were outed on these forums as less than ethical, which was met with outright hostility from the SC students. The same students that are now filing an injunction against him. There were questions about SC's ability to get students a degree that would get them a license in the states..we are still "waiting and seeing" if that will ever happen, but it looks more remote a possibility with each passing day.

A salvage operation that may turn out to have decent results...

Nobody can doubt that L (evil bane on humanity though he is) worked hard (at least initially) for the school. If you could have seen him, you would have thought him to be a good man too. From the sweat and tears he put in to setting up tables and chairs and other equipment before the start of each semester to the apparent fervor he had for his job (doctor he may or not be... I'm leaning toward "I play one on tv...")

And you are obviously superhuman, have never made a mistake in your life, and have never come across an extremely convincing conman. Many people were fooled by L (and still are to this day). He's conned students, government officials, entire school administrations, small children, you name it. It wasn't always easy to see through it. Now that they have seen through it and new truths surface every day about what the man REALLY is (the exterior had to crack one day), they've admitted to past misgivings and are working to redeem themselves. They are PUTTING UP aaaaand shutting up... what a novel idea! Yes with or without your blessings. But they sure have mine because I am in a better place now, but nobody will be prouder if they come out on top after all this! :D

pruritis_ani
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
A salvage operation that may turn out to have decent results...

Nobody can doubt that L (evil bane on humanity though he is) worked hard (at least initially) for the school. If you could have seen him, you would have thought him to be a good man too. From the sweat and tears he put in to setting up tables and chairs and other equipment before the start of each semester to the apparent fervor he had for his job (doctor he may or not be... I'm leaning toward "I play one on tv...")

And you are obviously superhuman, have never made a mistake in your life, and have never come across an extremely convincing conman. Many people were fooled by L (and still are to this day). He's conned students, government officials, entire school administrations, small children, you name it. It wasn't always easy to see through it. Now that they have seen through it and new truths surface every day about what the man REALLY is (the exterior had to crack one day), they've admitted to past misgivings and are working to redeem themselves. They are PUTTING UP aaaaand shutting up... what a novel idea! Yes with or without your blessings. But they sure have mine because I am in a better place now, but nobody will be prouder if they come out on top after all this! :D

I find it hard to buy the con man story too much, as I and many others saw through him from a great distance...a lot of those folks simply wanted to believe what he was selling, and lost a bit of objectivity...some of the more obvious questions about something as simple (and telling) as claiming to be something that you cannot or will not prove you are tell a LOT about a person. This sort of thing was obvious from the very begining. So, sure, the guy was a con man. But people were pointing this out all along, and getting endless grief from the students. You can only point out the obvious so many times....now that it caught up with them, I don't see a whole lot of sympathy out there for them, nor do I think they deserve any.

As for the shutting up, I agree they are finally doing some of that. Too little, too late, IMHO. In fact, I would feel a bit better about these poor souls if they were on here telling people to stay away in the same loud voice that they used to attract students a few short months ago. But, the shut up is almost certainly due to the fact that there is nothing good to say, and the fact that they still need suckers to attend this school so it won't shut it's doors before they get that almost useless degree.

And for this quote:

And you are obviously superhuman, have never made a mistake in your life,
Thanks! It is about time somebody noticed....j/k! Seriously, I am all for learning from mistakes. We make them. What bugs me is the steadfast refusal to admit the mistakes, and the fact that the current students are still trying to fly the "all is well" banner. Wait and see, things will work out next week, the school is going to be better than ever...puhlease. This type of propoganda is simply very bad advice, and people should all be made aware of the reality as it is now, not the hopeful fantasies of a few students with very limited options.

hydatiform
04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
I wasn't around that far back, so honestly, I don't know about the denials. But I do think it's sad to have to call up the past like this SO often now that it's already been called out into the open and beaten to death and then disemboweled and hung out to dry on London Bridge. It seems that, once a skeptic, always a skeptic, call it realism if you like, I call it pessimism, skepticism, bitterness! Lackluster attitudes all around!... I was hoping you'd understand where I was coming from but I don't think I really hit home. I can only hope more and more that something good comes of all this because that is clearly the only way to shut everyone up. Oh wait... I just contradicted myself, didn't I? :p There is always going to be something to whine about. Some would argue that THAT is the purpose of this forum. I just hope you are not this jaded once you begin practicing! There is so much gray in the world that you are missing out on! And you accuse ME of steering to the right... go figure, huh?! Lol... good night pruritas and thanks for the lively evening discussion although it felt a little hopeless. I'm sure we both have better things to do. I for one, will take my own advice and wait and see. And then I'll be back, with quips and dredging up the past of my own GOD WILLING!! :D

stephew
04-04-2006, 06:56 AM
folks, one freebie; if you violate tos you will get a warning and/or banning. if you have an issue with a post feel free to be big boys and girls and hit the bad post button. otherwise, suck it up.

angel_fyre
04-04-2006, 10:03 AM
They don't have to read VMD. They have their own snitches from here to tell them everything. Oregon's personal cheerleader included. How much is Oregon paying you and AZ to rat out schools, empathy? You're a volunteer... so now I see where your income comes from for living expenses.

I will admit that some schools on there do deserve to be listed (SC-MUAB included). But how could they possibly know about what's going on in Luton this early in the game unless they were snitched to? Especially since no official statements have been made by admin as they are all trying to lay low for the time being. It makes perfect sense to me. I wonder what other groups you all have blabbed to in the past. It's no wonder the actual clinical and match sites for SC students are never explicitly listed on here. You'd be on the phone in a split second telling the sites the "truth" about SC as you see it.

HAHAHHAAH you goota be kidding me, your mad at people snitching..Shutt your face..what are you smoking??why are you so scared if people are ratting out the school....people that are scared having something to HIDE..so i guess you want to push under the carpet all the problems of the school, owners,...ect...Oregon is being told the truth, an e mail should be sent out to every single licencing board in the US if you ask me...they should know whats going on for the saftey of patients that one day may go to a MD from St.Chris...THINK about it..if thats possible for you....

"NO official statments have been made by the admin as they are trying to lay low for the time being"

they have been laying low ever since the school opened thats why were in this position now...soooooooooooooooo....whats your CHEER you must be a senior cheerlearder hey you should try out for the dallas cowboys....do you have different cheer for each instituion (MUA-SCCM-L) and SCCM-Senegal and you MUST have a personal cheer for DR.L himself?? let me know

hydatiform
04-04-2006, 11:29 AM
In the interest of remaining civil, this doesn't even warrant a response. I hope you allow yourself to mature greatly before you're allowed anywhere near a patient in the future, angel FYRE. I mean, did you EVEN read what I've been blabbing about in this thread? If you did... it clearly didn't absorb much. Oh, and no... I won't suck it up. There are bigger CHILDREN on this forum that need to zip it before I do.

HAHAHHAAH you goota be kidding me, your mad at people snitching..Shutt your face..what are you smoking??why are you so scared if people are ratting out the school....people that are scared having something to HIDE..so i guess you want to push under the carpet all the problems of the school, owners,...ect...Oregon is being told the truth, an e mail should be sent out to every single licencing board in the US if you ask me...they should know whats going on for the saftey of patients that one day may go to a MD from St.Chris...THINK about it..if thats possible for you....

"NO official statments have been made by the admin as they are trying to lay low for the time being"

they have been laying low ever since the school opened thats why were in this position now...soooooooooooooooo....whats your CHEER you must be a senior cheerlearder hey you should try out for the dallas cowboys....do you have different cheer for each instituion (MUA-SCCM-L) and SCCM-Senegal and you MUST have a personal cheer for DR.L himself?? let me know

empathy
04-04-2006, 11:59 AM
One day you guys are going to have to face the fact that St. Chris IS the admin. You cannot separate the two.

Oregon is aware of this because they work with the GMC. Together -- they have shut down diploma mills. Oregon also reports findings to all licensing boards in the country. Futhermore, the US Department of Education, visit their website, refers students with questions regarding foreign medical school fraud to Oregon. They are quickly becoming THE authority on foreign med schools. Not to listen to them and ask their advice would be a huge mistake.

Remember it is illegal now to use a degree from an unaccredited college in 3 states and other states are considering passing the same laws to eliminate fraud. Don't gamble with your future.

empathy
04-04-2006, 06:51 PM
St. Christopher's College of Medicine
Senegal, UK, Belize Great Britain ceased accepting its degrees, March, 2006. No Senegalese school issuing degrees under this name exists as of March, 2006. Portion of Luton (UK) operation became a branch campus of Medical University of the Americas, Belize, March 28, 2006. See Medical University of the Americas.
Follow the Oregon Site for the most recent facts about what is happening.

http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.html

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.