PDA

View Full Version : Technion Class of Fall 2006

irina2
03-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey everyone,
I am from Toronto, Canada and I thought of starting this thread for all of those students attending Technion Med next fall. Every other school does, so maybe we can start the "spirit". ;)
So we can discuss our concerns....

abrukson
03-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey Irina, I am also from Toronto,Canada but I am only in the process of completing my application to the Technion so I have no idea where I am going to end up yet. Who knows though, maybe we'll be classmates in the fall :)

By the way, where did you have to go for the interview? I have a feeling it's Israel for the Technion....

irina2
03-31-2006, 01:53 PM
No they'll interview you in NYC. They usually contact 2 weeks b4 interview and book u in for one of the possible days. they have faculty members coming from israel to ddo the interview along with a graduate or someone else from the states.
so don't worry about the location
also i recommand you to hand in ur applications as soon as possible. b/c sooner u hand in, greater chance of getting interview and admission

abrukson
03-31-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah I sent my stuff in today, and one of my referees sent a letter yesteday. It will still be another 2-3 weeks before it arrives, so I will be close to the April 30th deadline. I also gotta get another proff to write me a letter, but that one I will likely send with Xpresspost to make sure it gets there on time.

Hopefully my GPA and MCAT impress them enough - I love the A=4.0 system, I wish Canada was the same :)

abrukson
03-31-2006, 06:16 PM
By the way how was the interview ? Did you find some of the questions difficult? Also if you don't mind sharing the specifics, I'm sure there are others who would like to know what was it that they asked you.

Thanks,

Alex

DPR
04-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Hey everyone,
I am from Toronto, Canada and I thought of starting this thread for all of those students attending Technion Med next fall. Every other school does, so maybe we can start the "spirit". ;)
So we can discuss our concerns....

Irina,
How long did it take after your interview with Technion before you heard back from them. I interviewed in NYC on March 20th, but I am still awaiting a decision.

irina2
04-02-2006, 05:05 PM
By the way how was the interview ? Did you find some of the questions difficult? Also if you don't mind sharing the specifics, I'm sure there are others who would like to know what was it that they asked you.

Thanks,

Alex

Hey Alex

the interview is not difficult at all. They are pretty nice, especially the American guy who does the interview. they usually have a faculty member coming from Israel to do the interviews. He was kinda distracted. he was playing around with his laptop, pluging it in, setting it up, while the other one was asking questions.
Basically i won't worry about the interview.
1) what quality do i have that would make me a good Dr.?
2) specific questions about my statement. But nothing hard, just to clearify things
3) why do i want to become a dr?
4) when did i realize?
5) what was the most challenging time of my life and how did i dealt with it?
6) What specialty would I like to practice?
It might sound a lot, but it's really not. these are all discussed more as conversation rather than an interview.
Then they told me about Haifa and how arabs and jews live together as a community and there are no problems...
There are hebrew classes for students to prepare them for clinical rotations...
If you have any other questions you can email me at: [email protected]
good luck

irina2
04-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Irina,
How long did it take after your interview with Technion before you heard back from them. I interviewed in NYC on March 20th, but I am still awaiting a decision.

I also had my interview on March 20th. You should contact them, b/c that's how I found out.
good luck

WaitWait
04-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey Irena , where did you call to ask if you had been accepted ?
I had an interview on the 21st of March and am still waiting for an answer....
Did you get anything in the mail yet or was it just by phone?

dugrad
04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
greetings:

I just joined this site tonight actually. I never thought that I'd be on here, but I recently was accepted to the Technion. I don't want that to sound like i am rubbing it in any of your faces, for those of you not yet accepted. If it does- sorry.

at any rate, does anyone here have any idea how competitive the program is?

And how many of you will be attending the technion this fall?

dugrad
04-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey Irena , where did you call to ask if you had been accepted ?
I had an interview on the 21st of March and am still waiting for an answer....
Did you get anything in the mail yet or was it just by phone?

i'm not her, but i can tell you that Dr ****** told me it would take about a month from the interview date to hear. I interviewed on the 21st, and actually got my acceptance last week- so about 3 weeks, the letter is dated from early april, so there was clearly a delay in the air mail.

Dr Alexander, the recruiter who you may have interviewed with as well did use the phone to schedule the interview date itself though- i would email either of them for info. or the secretary..i think her name is ms appleboim?

irina2
04-16-2006, 08:20 PM
I contacted the school a week after the interview and couple of weeks after I got a mail. I had my interview on march 20th.
I was told by them that it takes about two weeks, but the mail that I recirve was dated for 30th, 10 days after. so i would denfinantly give them a call. they are probably on vacation now but you can give a shot.

Banker794
04-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Does anyone want to share some of their stats? (i.e. MCAT and GPA)

Gpugems1
05-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey everybody, I actually started the Sackler thread after I had been accepted there, but recently was mailed a letter for an interview on may 18th in nyc. I am not sure if I will be attending but want to find out more about the school and if it is indeed better than sackler or Ben Gurion. The doctor that I am working with told me it is one of the best medical schools in Israel second to Hadassah. My scores were 28 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. I would also like to know how competitive the program is there compared to others

cubguy83
05-04-2006, 06:47 PM
does anyone know how competitive it is to get in? anyone been rejected post-interview? i'd really like to go but fear its too late to get an acceptance.

irina2
05-05-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't know if anyone was rejected. but I know that it is not too late to get acceptance letters, since they finish interviewing i think some time in june.
good luck

DPR
05-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I am not sure if I will be attending but want to find out more about the school and if it is indeed better than sackler or Ben Gurion. The doctor that I am working with told me it is one of the best medical schools in Israel second to Hadassah. My scores were 28 MCAT and 3.6 GPA. I would also like to know how competitive the program is there compared to others

You will certainly get varying feedback about the relative competitiveness of the various Israeli programs - but it basically comes down to personal preference. As far as residency placement, both schools are recognized as reputable medical school that produce great medical doctors. You are more likely to be chosen (or rejected) for residency placement based on your board scores, class rank and interview than based on whether you went to Technion or Sackler. Even still, the Technion American program is smaller and newer than the Sackler/NY program - so residency programs (especially in New York and the Northeast) are more likely to be familiar with Sackler based on their past exposure to Sackler residents.

On the other hand, it seems to me that Technion has a stronger academic reputation overall. I went to graduate school in the Midwest and my grad school professors (who also teach medical school classes) were very familiar with Technion - presumably due to the research and publication presence of Technion professors - but most of them had not heard of the Sackler/NY program. Technion also seems to have a more "prestigeous" reputation within Israel (based on my conversations with friends that live in Israel).

Another difference that may influence your decision is that the larger class sizes at Sackler tend to produce a more competitive environment among students versus a more cooperative environment at Technion.

Regardless of which school you choose, you are to be commended on your acceptance to Sackler and your committment to seeking out the best medical education possible (as evidenced by your efforts to investigate and determine the best possible program, etc.)

My scores are almost identical to yours (3.5 undergrad GPA / 28MCAT). I chose Technion - but the decision wasnt an easy one!

cubguy83
05-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Wish me luck on getting an acceptance. I want to join you guys!!!!

cubsfan27
05-22-2006, 01:56 PM
I applied to Technion as well. My application is real late but it's better than not applying at all. Does anyone have statistics? I mean total applicants vs. accepted applicants.

cubguy83
05-29-2006, 01:53 AM
did anyone who interviewed in may hear back yet? i'm stiill waiting and hoping for an acceptance.:confused:

cubguy83
05-29-2006, 04:11 AM
did anyone who interviewed in may hear back yet? i'm stiill waiting and hoping for an acceptance.:confused:

i'm in! baruch hashem!!! :D

barak0826
05-29-2006, 09:40 AM
CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance!!! I look forward to meeting you in Haifa.

abrukson
05-29-2006, 01:50 PM
I have been told at the interview that I am accepted, but still am waiting for the official letter - hopefully it arrives this week.

DPR
05-29-2006, 04:50 PM
I learned my admissions status by calling the medical school directly. I spoke with Rinat. She is very helpful and didnt seem to mind me asking about admissions status over the telephone. The phone number is:
011-972-4-829-5248.

I called at 2:00 AM (CST) which was about 10 am in Israel. It took several calls before I got an answer (I kept getting voice mail) but I did finally get to talk to Rinat. She looked up my status and told me that I had gotten accepted and that my admissions letter had already been mailed. I got an acceptance letter about two weeks later, so there is definately some down-time with the mail between there and here.

Best of luck! I hope to see you in Haifa in October!

DPR
05-29-2006, 04:55 PM
I am just wondering when you guys plan to move over to Haifa. Classes start mid-October. Im thinking about going over around September 1.

DPR
05-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Congrats CubGuy! From the other posts that you have written, I really think that you will be happier at Technion than at Sackler. Im looking forward to meeting you. Im sure we'll have plenty of time to get to know each other over the next four years.

Avy
06-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey my name is Avy
I am originally from Mexico City but now I live in Miami. I got my acceptance to the Technion Yesterday. Hope to meet all of you soon.

DPR
06-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Congrats Avy! See you soon.

student-2
06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Good luck to all of you

Avy
06-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Hey,
Does anyone know how big the class size is going to be.

Later

irina2
06-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I am just wondering when you guys plan to move over to Haifa. Classes start mid-October. Im thinking about going over around September 1.

Hi
YOu should be in Israel for Auguest 13th, if you need ulpan. If not then classes start on Oct. 17th.

DPR
06-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks. I definately need ulpan. I am going over Aug 2. I bought my ticket last week. I have a temporary place to stay with friends in Kiryat Yam, but I will be looking for more permanent housing when I get there. See you soon.

irina2
06-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I believe this yr Tech had a great turn out and a lot of pple have been accepted. From what i've been told the max is 45 but Tech # of students doesn't exceed 25 usually

See u in holy hand

Hey,
Does anyone know how big the class size is going to be.

Later

Avy
06-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know if we need a computer for school? If yes, do you guys think an I Book will be compatible.

Avy

NY ROB
06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I recommend bringing a computer from the states. Make sure the voltage is compatable with Israel (220). Their is wireless internet in the faculty so you can play online during your less exciting lectures if you have a laptop. PC or apple, whichever you prefer.

GingiJew
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey all,
I really want to go to Technion for the Fall but I hope there are still a fair number of slots left. My interview is next Tuesday and I'm pretty nervous. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else being interviewed that day?

Best,
Daniel

Avy
06-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Hey Daniel,
The interview is not the most difficult thing in the world. Just be yourself and you will do fine.

Avy

GingiJew
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Avy,
Thanks...I'll try. Do you remember any of your questions? I already saw Irina's post..it was helpful.

-Daniel

Avy
06-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey Daniel,
Irina's questions are accurate, yet they will not ask them to you straight out. So, I suggest prepare but don't prepare too much that it seems like you memorized your answers.

Good Luck,
Avy

abrukson
06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah just be relaxed, interview is pretty simple - do think ahead about usual toughies like "Why do you want to be a doctor?" otherwise don't stress it. One question that they asked me was "Who do you think knows you best?" and when I told him that I think it's my younger brother he told me to describe myself through the eyes of my younger brother i.e what he likes and doesn;t like about me and so on.

aaron
06-22-2006, 05:02 PM
i have a question...when did you send in your application...also if you don't mind what are your stats...best of luck on your interview.

aaron

NYC girl
06-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Congrats to everyone coming to the Technion next year :)

I'm currently a student at the Technion and I would love to answer any questions that you have. So feel free to ask! When are you guys planning on coming to Israel?

DPR
06-24-2006, 09:08 PM
My wife and I will be there August 4... we are staying with friends in Kiryat Yam until we can find permanent housing. I will be starting ulpan Aug 13. See you soon!

GingiJew
07-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Hello all,
Last week I was accepted to Technion! I have sent in my deposit and now I am looking for a student ticket. Anyone have a recomendation?
-Daniel

Avy
07-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey Daniel,
Congratulations on getting Accepted!!! I bought my ticket with Israir, it was cheaper than EL AL.

Avy

abrukson
07-04-2006, 09:22 PM
I bought my ticket with some new Russian company for 750$ - beat that! :)

DPR
07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
$750!!! Wow! Was that a round-trip ticket or one way. The best I have found for August travel is $800 one way through airfare.com. But our visa requires round trip itenerary :(. So, I ended up booking mine with frequent flier miles.

Last October my wife and I flew NYC to Tel Aviv on Turkish Airlines and bought our tickets at the ticket counter right before the flight for $1000 round trip (each)! Not bad for last minute travel!

When are you guys going over? Im headed over on Aug 2nd.
-DPR

abrukson
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
No mine is $750 one way ticket, I guess that would be way to cheap for two-way. I got my ticket for August 10th, decided to brush up on my Hebrew and settle in before classes start in October.

regev120
07-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Dear NYC Girl,
I will soon be a 1st year student and I wonder if you could give me information about the housing .I heard conflicting views about the area near the school vs on the mountain.
Thanks! :p

aaron
07-10-2006, 12:39 AM
just got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYC girl
07-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Dear NYC Girl,
I will soon be a 1st year student and I wonder if you could give me information about the housing since I don't think I want to live in the dorms, what would you suggest for someone who wants to rent an apartment alone?:rolleyes:
I heard conflicting views about the area near the school vs on the mountain.
Thanks! :p

Congrats on being accepted to the Technion!
Most students start off by living in the dorms before they find an apartment. When are you planning on coming to Israel? There are going to be Israeli students who will help out all of the new incoming american students in finding housing and settling into Haifa. You can try contacting Rinat. She sometimes knows of apartments that are up for rent.
Most students live up on the mountain - it's really not too far from school (20-30 mins by car/bus, sometimes more if there's traffic). It's just a much much nicer area with stores nearby and places to go out at night and on the weekends. The area near the school is pretty boring and not as nice but if you really want to live close to school and not have to worry about commuting, then live there. Most of the israeli med students live in the dorms by the campus and they seem happy living there. There are plenty of apartments available all over Haifa. Do you have a place to stay when you get here?
I hope this helped :)

regev120
07-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Hi NYCgirl!
Thanks for the answer. You were very helpful. I will ask Rinat.
Thanks again :)

enwyse
08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
I set up a new yahoo group for anyone in the class of 2010

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techmed10/

subscribe and lets see whose in our class.

Jhon

rclikethecola
08-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey-
I just found these posts and thought it would be a great way to say hey. I'm in the Touro/Technion program and I'll be starting school at Technion in October. There are 8 of us that are going to Israel (6 guys and 2 girls including myself). Everyone is really close and really chill. I was just curious about when you guys are leaving, where you're living etc.,
really looking forward to meeting you guys :)
keep in touch

Rachel

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.