PDA

View Full Version : He's home and he survived

singer
12-22-2003, 03:11 PM
My son finished his first semester at Ross and he is now home in the good old USA for three weeks. He studied very hard and partied very little and came up with some decent grades, actually better then he did in college.

He is very glad that he chose Ross and for any of the people considering Ross as a possible Medical School you can suceed if you go to Dominica and study. My son has his own small apartment and does most of his studying there where it is quiet. Make sure you get a battery powered lantern for when the electricity goes off.

Good luck to all the sudents and parents who are considering Ross.

FRNC
12-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Dittos for my kid. Mine likes the school a lot and has a higher GPA, after 3 semesters(even did well in Micro), than undergrad. Not crazy about the living conditions but I can tell it's a real character builder. Looking forward to getting 4th semester over and moving on to Miami. Thank goodness Ross's program was available. We did our "du-diligence" for 2 years prior to applying to Ross and I personally have attended 4 of their info seminars(as I'm the alternative $$ source for my kid). Ross has made a lot of improvements in the short time my kid has been associated with it.

Happy New Year All!!

singer
12-30-2003, 03:45 PM
FRNC

Just out of curiosity do you still attend Ross info seminars while your son is in Dominica. If so where are they held and what benefit are they to a parent of a current student.

Happy new year!

FRNC
12-30-2003, 11:39 PM
You can check the info seminar schedule from the "official" Ross website. Dates, times, and locations are listed. I like to go because there are always a few different speakers that give different info/perspectives about their experiences at Ross. The clinical coordinator, Dr. Perri was at one also. There are always current clinical students there that are willing to answer questions from prospects. The administration reps give updates on what is currently occuring and what is coming up in the near future. Then I compare notes with my kid on Dominica. Sometimes I get more current info than my kid has. I guess I can't wean myself from that back-to-school-night stuff. I'm not obnoxious and have only asked a few questions publicly as I don't want to take up the speaker's time. The purpose of the meeting is to inform prospects, not to placate med school groupies. But each time I learn new information that has been beneficial to my kid.

Dru
01-14-2004, 11:04 AM
My daughter survived the first and second semesters, and she just left last Fri. to return to the rock to begin her third semester. It's hard to believe that she is half done with her time on the island, if all continues to go well. The gross anatomy lab ("I see dead people") was a real motivator to pass the second semester, as I am sure she didn't ever want to repeat THAT class.

It is interesting to note that when my daughter comes home, she has a little culture shock coming back to the US. I take her shopping when she comes home, and she can usually not buy anything the first few trips to the stores...says there are too many choices here.

I have overheard my daughter often telling her friends that she feels she really has made the right decision attending Ross, saying that she probably is doing better there than she could at any school state-side. She says the island has been there perfect place for her to learn..."There's only two things to do there...study...and study some more."

Happy New Year wishes to all parents and students. We need to thank the students for trying so hard and thank Ross for providing excellent medical educations.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.