PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail from the GMC

jpryor
02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding St Christopher's College of Medicine. The GMC is undertaking an investigation into the claimed affiliations and the quality assurance arrangements at this institution. We have not received a satisfactory response to our requests and as such we continue to suspend acceptance of primary medical qualifications awarded by St Christopher's College of Medicine for the purpose of GMC registration.

The GMC currently regards most, but not all, of the primary medical qualifications listed in the World Health Organisation (WHO) directory of medical schools as acceptable for the purpose of registration with the GMC. Please always refer to the factsheets on our website which contain the latest information on acceptable medical qualifications.

Yours sincerely
EDITED...apparently a TOS issue

Jumanji
02-23-2006, 09:37 AM
"We have not received a satisfactory response to our requests" ... ouch... the dilemma continues to hurt SC students... This should be a high priority for anyone involved.. sorry to hear this..

empathy
02-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Can we see the paragraph you edited out of this email.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding St Christopher's College of Medicine. The GMC is undertaking an investigation into the claimed affiliations and the quality assurance arrangements at this institution. We have not received a satisfactory response to our requests and as such we continue to suspend acceptance of primary medical qualifications awarded by St Christopher's College of Medicine for the purpose of GMC registration.

The GMC currently regards most, but not all, of the primary medical qualifications listed in the World Health Organisation (WHO) directory of medical schools as acceptable for the purpose of registration with the GMC. Please always refer to the factsheets on our website which contain the latest information on acceptable medical qualifications.

Yours sincerely

jpryor
02-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Nothing was edited except for the individual's name.

empathy
02-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks! ...........

Nothing was edited except for the individual's name.

CorporateRaider
02-23-2006, 12:22 PM
JPRYOR:

Way to pass on the correct info! Good for you.

Dear Sir/Madam

Yours sincerely

empathy
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm curious JP what made you decide to post this?

Dear Sir/Madam

Yours sincerely

jpryor
02-23-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm curious JP what made you decide to post this?

It's the truth.

empathy
02-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Cool!

:-sunny

It's the truth.

jpryor
02-23-2006, 01:06 PM
You ought to try it some time.

empathy
02-23-2006, 01:11 PM
everything I've said on here is true - you guys just like believing in fairy tales

You ought to try it some time.

jpryor
02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Empathy, you colored your character a long time ago and it's too late to try to rehabilitate it now. I sincerely doubt that many people value your opinion on anything.

empathy
02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
JP...YOU really want to have a debate about honesty and character????

Empathy, you colored your character a long time ago and it's too late to try to rehabilitate it now. I sincerely doubt that many people value your opinion on anything.

blythplace
02-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Gonna have to agree with him. Your comments are usually just cheers for people's one liners like smythe.

jpryor
02-23-2006, 01:52 PM
JP...YOU really want to have a debate about honesty and character????

Make no mistake, I love a good debate...but the operative word is good. I don't think you have the debating skills and I suspect that the only thing you'd achieve is another warning for TOS violations.

I've been called snarky (See--I remembered that term, Steph...first chance I've had to use it, though..and I still like it!!!). I don't doubt that there are people who have neagtive views about me. But I haven't had anybody question my honesty, integrity or character. But if you have the urge...go for it.

maximillian genossa
02-23-2006, 02:00 PM
The names are edited to comply with TOS

Dear *******

Thank you for your email of 13 February 2006.

We are currently investigating a number of medical schools in the UK whose students are awarded degrees from a university based outside the UK. Information about individual medical schools can be found on our website through the following link.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/studying_medicine_at_undergraduate_level.asp (http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/studying_medicine_at_undergraduate_level.asp)

This means that currently, we are not accepting these degrees for the purpose of registration.

We will update our website as soon as more information becomes available.

If you have any further queries please contact us and we will do our best to help.

Yours sincerely

Registration and Education Directorate
General Medical Council
Telephone: 0845 357 3456
www.gmc-uk.org (http://www.gmc-uk.org/)

empathy
02-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Man...this little fishy is torn...shall I bite or go back to my match making in the Relaxing Lounge.

maximillian genossa
02-23-2006, 02:03 PM
To all, the chances are 50/50. The ruling can go on way or the other. At this point everything is up for speculation only, on both pro-SC and con-SC.

medques
02-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Even if St.chris gets through this dilemma, is it still worth coming to this school, or staying at this school?, the reputations of this school is basically shattered now, its going to take them many years to build a good one. Will states look at this school and laugh when it comes time to giving a licence? How important is to get a MD from a reputable med school? I wouldn’t want to get a MD then end up in some stupid state cause I choose a bad medical school.

Tritonesub
02-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Your question is similar to 'how important is it to go to a reputable high school to get into a master's program.' Is it not? You learn how to be a doctor mostly from your residency. Medical school just teaches you about medicine. If a person has completed post-graduate training and is board certified, i dont see how anyone can refuse you a license based on where you went to residency, med school, college or high school for that matter. Granted that all the schools are accredited.

jpryor
02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Actually, if the school comes out of this okay it should fare well. While there are indications that the issue with the school's charter are resolved, it is troublesome that the GMC hasn't accepted the input from Senegal completely. (My personal read on that is that the GMC is going to be a hard taskmaster to please on the QA issue). It's reasonable to asume that the GMC is not going to budge until it is completely satisfied--and if and when that happens, that should stand the school in good stead.

Given the fact that hundreds of kids' parents are inundating the school and the GMCwith e-mails and phone calls, I feel it's safe to say that nobody is sitting on idle with this (except for the Senegalese, apparently).

empathy
02-23-2006, 03:56 PM
St. Chris is not accredited.

Your question is similar to 'how important is it to go to a reputable high school to get into a master's program.' Is it not? You learn how to be a doctor mostly from your residency. Medical school just teaches you about medicine. If a person has completed post-graduate training and is board certified, i dont see how anyone can refuse you a license based on where you went to residency, med school, college or high school for that matter. Granted that all the schools are accredited.

medques
02-23-2006, 04:22 PM
If you were a new student in the process of finding a good medical school and you were interested in St.Chris, and after reading, hearing and maybe even seeing the amount of disorganization, lies and problems of this institution would you ever come here? After all that has been going on, would you still risk coming here? You have to remember this school is a business and in the business world frauds and other problems always occur. Lets say the issue gets resolved, maybe one day the GMC or the ECFMG will find another problem with the school. Its just way to risky at this point. Personally if I was looking into medical schools to attend and seen the problems with St.chris I wouldn’t come here. And I think what is eventually going to happen is that most people will stop applying to the school cause there going to be scared. That means the school doesn’t make any more money, they loose all there enrollment and the business that these big guns are running is going to go bankrupt, meaning no more St. Chris is that right or wrong?

jpryor
02-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. You can go to each school's forum and find advice pro and con...some well intentioned and some highly suspect...both pro and con. People choose their schools for their own reasons. If SC comes through on this, I doubt it will have any difficulty filling seats.

2cents
02-23-2006, 06:01 PM

Let me guess, you were *&^% yesterday right? You can't seriously believe that. If a state does not like your medical school it can make your life hell trying to get a license.

Recent acticle from AMA shows they care a great deal where you went to medical school; even if you did a residency at harvard, and a fellow ship at john hopkins. If you are picky about which state you end up in pick your school wisely

Picard
02-23-2006, 06:27 PM

This is not a good analogy. Where you went to medical school defnitely matters when it comes to licensure. It matters to different degrees depending on which state. But make no mistake about it, there are states that will bar you from licensure FOREVER if you went to a school they do not approve. You can become the chief of neurosurgery at Harvard or find the cure for HIV... if your school is not recognized, some states will bar you forever. Others will nick pick and give you a very hard time and bury you in paperwork just being an IMG, regardless of what you have done since. So make no mistake about it, where you went to medical school MATTERS.

As for SC, I wonder what happened to those MS-4's currently in Match. The ROL has come and gone. I wonder if they were able to remain in the match with the recent ECFMG development??

P

Tritonesub
02-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I can confirm that all of them that had completed the necessary exams where allowed to remain in the match. If however SC cannot resolve the ECFMG issue by the time they get their diplomas, they cannot get the actual certificate needed to be on file in order to start working in that residency.

Picard
02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Good to hear. I hope it works out for them. Otherwise, if they cannot start residency come July 1st, they will technically be "terminated" from their residency programs -- a termination record that will stay with them for life.

P

Tritonesub
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Let me guess, you were born yesterday right? You can't seriously believe that. If a state does not like your medical school it can make your life hell trying to get a license.

Recent acticle from AMA shows they care a great deal where you went to medical school; even if you did a residency at harvard, and a fellow ship at john hopkins. If you are picky about which state you end up in pick your school wisely

I know for a fact that if you have practiced in another state in the U.S. legally for an extended period of time, aquired letters of recommendation and completed other requirments (ie juris prudens exam in texas) you can make a legitimate appeal for license. I know of many people who have done this in states where their med schools are "unaccredited" and are now practicing fully licensed. While it may take a lot of paperwork and may require some legal assistance, it is by no means impossible to do so. Nothing is black and white in medicine.. even licensure. While it is probably in ones best interest to go to a U.S. Medical school or one of the 'big 3' to make this process less painful, it is not always an option to everyone. And realize that when many people attended this school or applied, there were no problems with licensure etc. This is only something that has recently been drawn to attention and entails the clarification of wording of old documents rather than the lack of documents or a charter as some claim.

2cents
02-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Ahhh...the old case-by-case bases idea. This is truely the refuge of the desperate. I would highly recommend anyone who is counting on this ploy to rethink their strategy. After spending vast amounts of money on medical school you should not have to gamble with a medical board.

Question, why take the risk if it is that important? Transfer if you can, or start over. There is no point going down with the ship. Even if, or when the school is cleared the stigma it will leave on your degree could give you grief down the line.

Tritonesub
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
A case by case basis is ideal! Perhaps you support the notion that substandard physicians be allowed to practice just because they went to a medical school that was located in the united states. I believe that everyone who intends to practice the noble profession of medicine should be heavily scrutinized no matter where they went to school. It is a shame that lack of effort to pursue this exhaustive process leads to stratification of schools as an easy way out. If people on this forum were really concerned about the quality of the american medical system, they would support measures to individually evaluate every physician that is allowed to work... not just complain about documents and politics which have nothing to do with the safe, effective and ethical practice of medicine.

options
02-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. You can go to each school's forum and find advice pro and con...some well intentioned and some highly suspect...both pro and con. People choose their schools for their own reasons. If SC comes through on this, I doubt it will have any difficulty filling seats.

I agree. If it should work out, it might put alot of the other offshore schools in trouble, because who wants to live on a caribbean island for 2 years. It makes me wonder why someone didn't try this long ago if it was possible. The whole point to spending 2 years outside of the U.S. is because state licesning requires you to study in the charter country for that amount of time. For almost 30 years the caribbean schools have been playing by these rules, but if SC proves that nobody has to follow the rules anymore, who's going to?

But, yeah, I doubt in the end that this will happen, because rules are rules. I'm sure people who attend and defend this school have their reasons, but I just can't believe someone would risk all this money, time, and effort on something so unsure.

OLDPRO
02-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Man...this little fishy is torn...shall I bite or go back to my match making in the Relaxing Lounge.

I will give warnings for insults on here,

Just a reminder!:shock:

(JP careful)

Also I had to go in and edit the GMC letter that started this thread, seems the GMC reads this site too! DOC ruled no info posted from emails that make it so any tracing can be done by readers here, remeber this for the future (we don't give warnings for honest mistakes here)

empathy
02-24-2006, 08:14 AM
whudsy :roll:

jpryor
02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm sure people who attend and defend this school have their reasons, but I just can't believe someone would risk all this money, time, and effort on something so unsure.

I doubt that it was advertised as something unsure. But, as has been said repeatedly, people have their reasons for attending a specific school. What is right for some is completely wrong for others. Yet, there are people on VMD who just can't accept that and cast aspersions. TOS prohibits me from voicing my opinion about that.

jpryor
02-24-2006, 09:15 AM
(JP careful)

I have been.

I'm reminded of an old saying: Diplomacy is the art of being able to tell somebody to go to Hell in such a manner that they look forward to the trip. Working around TOS has required some skill.

empathy
02-24-2006, 09:55 AM
It mutates. If the moderator is on one side of the fence and you find yourself on the other...watch out!

jpryor
02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I bow to the experience.

CorporateRaider
02-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding St Christopher's College of Medicine.

OPINON1: Salutation defines the subject matter (i.e. SCCM)

The GMC is undertaking an investigation into the claimed affiliations and the quality assurance arrangements at this institution.

OPINION2: As a responsible Body, we have taken an interest in two specific areas:

1. Affiliation.
2. Quality Assurance.

* sub-pinion2.1: Notice the language used? It reads "claimed", yet the GMC does not yet verify the claim.

*sub-pinion2.2: Something else pop's out, it reads "affiliations", thus, there is more than one "claimed" affiliation.

We have not received a satisfactory response to our requests and as such we continue to suspend acceptance of primary medical qualifications awarded by St Christopher's College of Medicine for the purpose of GMC registration.

OPINION3: After "x" days and still not a "satisfactory answer", so, I conclude there has been an answer, just not one that is satisfactory.

OPINION4: Have a great day !

Yours sincerely
EDITED...apparently a TOS issue

Now, I await a reply !

OLDPRO
02-24-2006, 12:17 PM
It mutates. If the moderator is on one side of the fence and you find yourself on the other...watch out!

Everyone including me Has to adhear to TOS here, If there is a violation you think I missed or the other mods then please report it, if not then I would make such statements.:rolleyes:

2cents
02-24-2006, 12:38 PM
A case by case basis is ideal! Perhaps you support the notion that substandard physicians be allowed to practice just because they went to a medical school that was located in the united states. I believe that everyone who intends to practice the noble profession of medicine should be heavily scrutinized no matter where they went to school. It is a shame that lack of effort to pursue this exhaustive process leads to stratification of schools as an easy way out. If people on this forum were really concerned about the quality of the american medical system, they would support measures to individually evaluate every physician that is allowed to work... not just complain about documents and politics which have nothing to do with the safe, effective and ethical practice of medicine.

Perhaps pigs will fly. While I do agree with your perfect world; no juisdiction is willing to approve everyone on a case-by-case bases. It would take too much time and money.

If you know the rules why not follow them. It's much easier than constantly looking for ways to get around them? It will make your life much easier in the end. Leave the arguments of ethics and politics in the pub.

jpryor
02-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Perhaps pigs will fly. While I do agree with your perfect world; no juisdiction is willing to approve everyone on a case-by-case bases. It would take too much time and money.

Oh? What state batch processes applications for licenses?

stephew
02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
It mutates. If the moderator is on one side of the fence and you find yourself on the other...watch out!actually we moderators really strive to be fair; we've all defended folks who seem to think we're out to get them. Of course you'd never know it because you dont get an email saying "from VMD: FYI, Moderator X just warned another user for insulting you, even though mod X really doesnt like you." Yes I'm talking to you there reading this.

But more to the point, we keep an eye on each other to keep each other honest and to make sure our actions are in good faith. And Doc is always a good arbitor of reason. However if you feel there is a bias here or things aren't fair, there are mucho unmoderated sites out there. The reason this has thrived has to due in large part to the excellent administration and rules as laid out by doc et al.

And just to make the point, IM sending myself a PM to staying on topic.

Tritonesub
02-27-2006, 02:38 AM
The whole point to spending 2 years outside of the U.S. is because state licesning requires you to study in the charter country for that amount of time. For almost 30 years the caribbean schools have been playing by these rules, but if SC proves that nobody has to follow the rules anymore, who's going to?

There are U.S. colleges and medical school operating in other countries providing U.S. credit. Do they deserve some kind of exception to the charter country issue? The same with nuclear power. If the U.S. can develop it, who are they to say that Iran cannot? The U.S. has to deal with its own issue of hippocracy before defining any more 'rules', above and beyond medical regulation.

Miklos
02-27-2006, 03:26 AM
There are U.S. colleges and medical school operating in other countries providing U.S. credit. Do they deserve some kind of exception to the charter country issue?
Which schools, precisely? To my knowledge this isn't a way around the charter issue. If you are talking about certain schools in the Middle East, they are all locally chartered. The LCME makes it crystal clear that they do not accredit foreign based schools. So, what exception?

The same with nuclear power. If the U.S. can develop it, who are they to say that Iran cannot? The U.S. has to deal with its own issue of hippocracy before defining any more 'rules', above and beyond medical regulation.
Way off topic, but since you brought it up; there are plenty of reasons why (http://www.victorhanson.com/articles/hanson021706.html) the Iranian mullahs should not have nuclear technology.

teratos
02-27-2006, 07:22 AM

Kindly show an example.

ol' man
02-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Kindly show an example.

Well, there was that time that you, uh, no wait, that was me. Then there was the time that ... Uh oh, that was me too.

Actually, you have a thankless job. There are several posts on here I'd love to gig if I was a mod (which I guess is precisely why I'm not.) Keep up the good work.

Now, after all that gluteal kissing, I need someone to write a LOR for me. How about it G? lol

Seriously, ya'll do a good job. Except for that time when ...

empathy
02-27-2006, 03:56 PM
What's your story? Are you a med school student?

Ahhh...the old case-by-case bases idea. This is truely the refuge of the desperate. I would highly recommend anyone who is counting on this ploy to rethink their strategy. After spending vast amounts of money on medical school you should not have to gamble with a medical board.

Question, why take the risk if it is that important? Transfer if you can, or start over. There is no point going down with the ship. Even if, or when the school is cleared the stigma it will leave on your degree could give you grief down the line.

azskeptic
02-28-2006, 07:04 AM
There are U.S. colleges and medical school operating in other countries providing U.S. credit. Do they deserve some kind of exception to the charter country issue? The same with nuclear power. If the U.S. can develop it, who are they to say that Iran cannot? The U.S. has to deal with its own issue of hippocracy before defining any more 'rules', above and beyond medical regulation. Show me US medical schools that operate outside of the US without a local charter where they teach students fulltime.

teratos
02-28-2006, 07:13 AM
There are U.S. colleges and medical school operating in other countries providing U.S. credit. Do they deserve some kind of exception to the charter country issue? The same with nuclear power. If the U.S. can develop it, who are they to say that Iran cannot? The U.S. has to deal with its own issue of hippocracy before defining any more 'rules', above and beyond medical regulation.

The US can regulate what occurs on its own soil. There is no comparison with nuclear power that can make sense. G

jpryor
02-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Duplicate post

jpryor
02-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Show me US medical schools that operate outside of the US without a local charter where they teach students fulltime.

The Johns Hopkins' programs in Korea and Panama, to start with.

azskeptic
02-28-2006, 10:38 AM
The Johns Hopkins' programs in Korea and Panama, to start with. They aren't degree programs for the Maryland school.

jpryor
02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
They aren't degree programs for the Maryland school.

I'm sure that will come as a big surprise for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. It's facilities in Panama are in the old Canal Zone College buildings where I attended courses during my senior year of high school.

OLDPRO
02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Anymore posts in this thread off topic and I'll close it. You can discuss these issues in the relaxing lounge.

empathy
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
so I wonder.....what exactly bothered you Whudsy about the direction it was taking?

:hiding:

###
02-28-2006, 06:14 PM

empathy
02-28-2006, 06:18 PM
the mods would like to go back to quizing me....that sure was interesting...yawn....

teratos
02-28-2006, 06:32 PM
the mods would like to go back to quizing me....that sure was interesting...yawn....

not so much....

OLDPRO
02-28-2006, 07:41 PM
If you are going to police off-topic posts (which is a questionable practice in the first place) you should reprimand the offenders rather than lock the thread. Locking a thread is analogous to dismissing an entire class because of the behavior of a dispruptive student.

Being "off topic" can easily be used as pretext for closing threads that one doesn't like. Conversations naturally take tangents. Indeed, much of valueMD veers off topic. How do you decide which particular instances require intervention? How does one decide if a post is disruptive or simple natural diversion in the conversation? I think it is best to tread very lightly. And, if you do, deal with the offenders -- the rest of us would like to continue the conversation.

Now, back to the topic -- whatever it was.

I would like to address this......OFFTOPIC is when the thread becomes like a "Chat thread" and the issues brought up have nothing to do with a) the original topic and b) nothing about the school. What your opinion of "questionable" has been well established tool here to keep threads started to discuss an issue just that a thread with posts about the issue. You want to discuss a different topic start a new thread, you want to chat use IM. Moderators also have some leeway to decide actions but not much most of what we do is discussed in the Mod corner.

Now this is offtopic so lets all behave.:rolleyes:

empathy
02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
So does anyone know what the 'claimed affiliations' were and why there was not 'quality assurance arrangements' at St. Chris. Sounds like St. Chris was trying to run their own show in Luton and leave their Senegal partners in the dust. Thanks for the use of the charter - see ya. Did the program there match the program in Senegal? Could a 2nd year student transfer to Senegal and take his 3rd year classes or vice versa?

I would like to address this......OFFTOPIC is when the thread becomes like a "Chat thread" and the issues brought up have nothing to do with a) the original topic and b) nothing about the school. What your opinion of "questionable" has been well established tool here to keep threads started to discuss an issue just that a thread with posts about the issue. You want to discuss a different topic start a new thread, you want to chat use IM. Moderators also have some leeway to decide actions but not much most of what we do is discussed in the Mod corner.

Now this is offtopic so lets all behave.:rolleyes:

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.