PDA

View Full Version : Israel degree not recognized everywhere?

dr.bum
02-17-2006, 03:32 PM
If one wishes to live in Dubai, Bahrain, Kuwait, or anywhere in the middle east, do you think Israeli medical credentials will be recognized in these countries with US residency training? I'm just asking b/c in a lot of these countries Indian and Pakistani doctors are able to work, but do you think they would discrimate against Israel degrees? Are there any other places other than the middle east that may not recognize Israel as a country?

maximillian genossa
02-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Do these countries recognize the existence of State of Israel? If not they won't (I believe) recognize anything that comes from it. You may check with the Israel embassy or their website and they will provide you a list of countries they have relatonships with. You may also be able to Google it.

Shalom

Max

If one wishes to live in Dubai, Bahrain, Kuwait, or anywhere in the middle east, do you think Israeli medical credentials will be recognized in these countries with US residency training? I'm just asking b/c in a lot of these countries Indian and Pakistani doctors are able to work, but do you think they would discrimate against Israel degrees? Are there any other places other than the middle east that may not recognize Israel as a country?

student-2
02-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Wouldn't they recognize the American license?

PathOne
03-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Hmm, as several Mideast/Muslim countries won't even admit anyone into their country with an Israeli stamp in their passport, it's unlikely that they would hire someone who's a graduate from an Israeli school, methinks.

Scott1981
03-04-2006, 01:45 PM
its their loss.

student-2
03-05-2006, 03:24 PM
PathOne- Me thinks that, bottom line, the MD comes with an American license to practice medicine- what does it matter where the MD studied?
So I repeat the question- doesn't the American license suffice? The one that the government gives.
After all patients go to doctors that are licensed- they don't ask where did you study. For example- if an American doctor goes to practice in Israel they will judge him as an American doc- not according to which school he attended. He will be accretited because the American government accretited him and not because of his school. A Harvard grad has no benefit over a SMU student in gaining Israeli medical licensing!

PathOne
03-18-2006, 07:14 AM
The short answer is no.
Fundamentally, a US license is worthless in any other country. In fact, as licenses are issued by states, a New York license is even worthless if you go across the Holland Tunnel to New Jersey.

So if you hold a US license and decide that you want to practise in the Middle East - or any other country - you would need to supply the medical licensing authorities with documentation on your primary medical qualifications, board exams etc. Giving them a copy of a US state license is simply insufficient. And when you do that, they will obviously see that you went to an Israeli medical school. This will not be an issue in e.g. South America, Europe or Asia, but can very possibly be a major issue in the Arab world.

Add to that, that US board certification isn't automatically accepted in other countries. In Europe, some countries can and will deny acceptance of your residency training and board status, and require you to go through all or parts of your training again. (as will the US if you had your residency outside the US or Canada) This will be less of an issue in the Arab world, as they have imported foreign docs for many years, and generally accept both US and European boards.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.