Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Macgyver1MD's Avatar
    Macgyver1MD is offline Senior Member 535 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In my jeep wrangler sporting my mullet
    Posts
    877
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How to trim studying time to become efficient?

    Advertisements



    Well I need to draw on the collective wisdom of the board.
    Im in 1st semester now and did well on my first bio and anatomy exams, but Im spending around 5 hours a night studying for the two classes. I know next semester I'll have 4 classes, and will probally only be able to squeeze around 1.5 hours a subject studying. What did some of you do to adjust from 1st to 2nd semester, and some tips for efficient studying. I would like to get the adjustment phased in now, so next semester I won't be overwhelmed. I have found Bench marks are the GOD of anatomy, and are soo helpful in preparing for tests. Biochemistry Ive found that Dr. B's notes are key. I want to be prepared. Thanks again for all the wonderful help!
    PGY-Attending Hidden Content FP

  2. #2
    Skipper is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,142
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you spend all weekend catching up

    skipper
    11 months until the end of PGY 3
    President and Dean of--
    Skipper's Medical Univeristy of the Dutch West Indies--SMU-DWI
    Apply Now.....Get an MD in 6 Weeks....
    If you fail at AUC, SGU, or Ross why not transfer to SMU, if you fail at SMU, why not try another SMU.

  3. #3
    swimguy23's Avatar
    swimguy23 is offline Elite Member 516 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,923
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver1
    Well I need to draw on the collective wisdom of the board.
    Im in 1st semester now and did well on my first bio and anatomy exams, but Im spending around 5 hours a night studying for the two classes. I know next semester I'll have 4 classes, and will probally only be able to squeeze around 1.5 hours a subject studying. What did some of you do to adjust from 1st to 2nd semester, and some tips for efficient studying. I would like to get the adjustment phased in now, so next semester I won't be overwhelmed. I have found Bench marks are the GOD of anatomy, and are soo helpful in preparing for tests. Biochemistry Ive found that Dr. B's notes are key. I want to be prepared. Thanks again for all the wonderful help!
    you'll learn how to study more effectively and procrastinate more effectively
    Hospitalist 2011-2012
    Hematology/Oncology 2012-2015

    some swimmer from Ct Hidden Content
    the problem with the gene pool is that there are too many lifeguards.....and we have been offering swimmies

  4. #4
    McGillGrad's Avatar
    McGillGrad is offline Permanently Banned 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,476
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here is *******'s Study Guide. It should help trim down your study time...

    http://www.blackpeople.us/forum/index.php?showtopic=767

  5. #5
    microphage's Avatar
    microphage is offline Useless Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,749
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGillGrad
    Here is *******'s Study Guide. It should help trim down your study time...

    http://www.blackpeople.us/forum/index.php?showtopic=767

    just not reading it trims down my time...
    Finally beat Super Mario Bros within 7 mins.

  6. #6
    stateofequilibrium's Avatar
    stateofequilibrium is offline Super Moderator 6105 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    25,450
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swimguy23
    you'll learn how to study more effectively and procrastinate more effectively
    I agree, if it doesn't kill you, you'll learn and become better at it. By the time third semester ends, you'll feel like you can memorize a whole textbook every night, but by then, you'll need it.

    There's really no trick, you just need to practice reading fast and memorizing. Some people will tell you that you just need to pick up on the main points, but that's a load of crock, especially in certain professors' classes where you have to memorize everything verbatim.

    I think the big killer for studying efficiency is distractions. Such as every 30 minutes I think I deserve an hour break with the TV. And ever 2 minutes I need to type something on VMD.
    Posterior Fornix.

  7. #7
    options's Avatar
    options is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    937
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver1
    Well I need to draw on the collective wisdom of the board.
    Im in 1st semester now and did well on my first bio and anatomy exams, but Im spending around 5 hours a night studying for the two classes. I know next semester I'll have 4 classes, and will probally only be able to squeeze around 1.5 hours a subject studying. What did some of you do to adjust from 1st to 2nd semester, and some tips for efficient studying. I would like to get the adjustment phased in now, so next semester I won't be overwhelmed. I have found Bench marks are the GOD of anatomy, and are soo helpful in preparing for tests. Biochemistry Ive found that Dr. B's notes are key. I want to be prepared. Thanks again for all the wonderful help!
    If you are doing well now, you will figure out how to do well in the following semesters. Don't let upper semesters scare you by saying it will be much harder. While it does get a little trickier juggling classes in 2nd semester and on, its really not that much different. Concentrate on this semester and worry about next semester when it comes.
    Director of Anatomy --
    Skipper's Medical Univeristy of the Dutch West Indies--SMU-DWI

  8. #8
    anencephalic's Avatar
    anencephalic is offline Brainless Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,018
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Study?! What the heck is that?

    All kidding aside, unless you're one of those with the photographic memory and have the ability to assimilate, integrate, and apply said knowledge, then you'll have to be like the other 99.9% and study efficiently. Unfortunatley, studying is pretty individual and what works for me (ie, procrastinating) may not work for you.

    A study group is always a good idea if they:
    a) have similar study habits
    b) have different strengths
    c) have a place to study either quietly and/or have group discussion
    d) have free food and beverage at said study place
    e) have a big screen TV, an X-box or PS-2, and a huge surround sound system for that inevitable down time.

    Of course, it helps if you preview the material so you can contribute effectively.

    Aloha,

  9. #9
    microphage's Avatar
    microphage is offline Useless Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,749
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anencephalic
    Study?! What the heck is that?

    All kidding aside, unless you're one of those with the photographic memory and have the ability to assimilate, integrate, and apply said knowledge, then you'll have to be like the other 99.9% and study efficiently. Unfortunatley, studying is pretty individual and what works for me (ie, procrastinating) may not work for you.

    A study group is always a good idea if they:
    a) have similar study habits
    b) have different strengths
    c) have a place to study either quietly and/or have group discussion
    d) have free food and beverage at said study place
    e) have a big screen TV, an X-box or PS-2, and a huge surround sound system for that inevitable down time.

    Of course, it helps if you preview the material so you can contribute effectively.

    Aloha,
    you forgot about the satellite dish....
    Finally beat Super Mario Bros within 7 mins.

  10. #10
    stateofequilibrium's Avatar
    stateofequilibrium is offline Super Moderator 6105 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    25,450
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mmmm, Ghost Recon..
    Posterior Fornix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How much time are you studying?
    By hdm08 in forum USMLE Step 1 Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2006, 08:11 PM
  2. Efficient ways of studying
    By stookie in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 03:57 PM
  3. Studying for Steps 1 and 2 at the same time?
    By Mayor in forum USMLE Step 1 Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 11:41 PM
  4. Studying for Steps 1 and 2 at the same time?
    By Mayor in forum USMLE Step 1 Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 12:25 PM
  5. Studying for Steps 1 and 2 at the same time?
    By Mayor in forum USMLE Step 2 CK Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 04:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •