Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    mmod's Avatar
    mmod is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    170
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    US vs. non-US clinicals

    Advertisements



    I really like what i've read about AUC except for the fact that a lot (about half) of its students do clinicals in England/Ireland. How does the clinical system work at AUC? Do the best students have 1st pick or is it a pure lottery?

    Also, how would doing clinicals in England/Ireland affect the quality of residency a person can obtain afterwards?

  2. #2
    MushieCookie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,002
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where have you been reading your information? On this message board? Somewhere else?
    If you've been reading through past posts...than you would have seen that not 'a lot' of our students go to England/Ireland. You go there if you want to...and that's it. You can go anywhere you want in the US for clinicals assuming there are open spots at the time you receive your USMLE step I scores. If you want a particular place really bad for whatever reason, you can wait as long as you want for that specific site and nobody will stop you.

  3. #3
    anencephalic's Avatar
    anencephalic is offline Brainless Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,018
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmod
    Also, how would doing clinicals in England/Ireland affect the quality of residency a person can obtain afterwards?
    Don't know. Ask the guy from AUC who matched into Opthalmology after doing his Ophto sub-I's in england...

    Aloha,

  4. #4
    neilc is offline Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,560
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i did my rotations (except for 2) in the czech republic. it didn't matter one iota. if you want to go abroad to do rotations, do it. as long as you get a couple LOR's from US attendings that are really strong, you will not have a problem. it was only mentioned as an interesting side bar in my interviews, and the interviewer's were always interested, never questioning "why didn't you rotate in the US". despite what you will hear on this board, it really is not that important where you do your clinicals.

  5. #5
    swimguy23's Avatar
    swimguy23 is offline Elite Member 516 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,923
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmod
    I really like what i've read about AUC except for the fact that a lot (about half) of its students do clinicals in England/Ireland. How does the clinical system work at AUC? Do the best students have 1st pick or is it a pure lottery?

    Also, how would doing clinicals in England/Ireland affect the quality of residency a person can obtain afterwards?
    last i checked i know of students over in england.....all there by choice.....also judging by the last exam day it seems half of AUC is in the NY area
    Hospitalist 2011-2012
    Hematology/Oncology 2012-2015

    some swimmer from Ct Hidden Content
    the problem with the gene pool is that there are too many lifeguards.....and we have been offering swimmies

  6. #6
    mmod's Avatar
    mmod is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    170
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MushieCookie
    Where have you been reading your information? On this message board? Somewhere else?
    If you've been reading through past posts...than you would have seen that not 'a lot' of our students go to England/Ireland. You go there if you want to...and that's it. You can go anywhere you want in the US for clinicals assuming there are open spots at the time you receive your USMLE step I scores. If you want a particular place really bad for whatever reason, you can wait as long as you want for that specific site and nobody will stop you.
    I read here (link below) close to half of the students in most of AUC's classes rotate in UK/Ireland. Considering most of AUC's are from the US I doubt most of them do it by choice. or maybe this guy's info is wrong.

    http://www.valuemd.com/american-univ...ight=attrition

  7. #7
    Ditch Doctor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    482
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anencephalic
    Don't know. Ask the guy from AUC who matched into Opthalmology after doing his Ophto sub-I's in england...

    Aloha,
    You should also add that he matched at Duke--or some other Ivy league school, but I'm pretty sure it was Duke.

  8. #8
    swimguy23's Avatar
    swimguy23 is offline Elite Member 516 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,923
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmod
    I read here (link below) close to half of the students in most of AUC's classes rotate in UK/Ireland. Considering most of AUC's are from the US I doubt most of them do it by choice. or maybe this guy's info is wrong.

    http://www.valuemd.com/american-univ...ight=attrition
    its a good example of why reading information on a public forum is dangerous. AUC is a good school and the education is sufficient for you to do well on the boards. out of 80 people in my class i know of 5 in england and 1 in ireland
    Hospitalist 2011-2012
    Hematology/Oncology 2012-2015

    some swimmer from Ct Hidden Content
    the problem with the gene pool is that there are too many lifeguards.....and we have been offering swimmies

  9. #9
    mmod's Avatar
    mmod is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    170
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swimguy23
    its a good example of why reading information on a public forum is dangerous. AUC is a good school and the education is sufficient for you to do well on the boards. out of 80 people in my class i know of 5 in england and 1 in ireland
    so ur saying this guys info is totally wrong. no offense but i'm taking ur opinion with a grain of salt. if uk/ireland clinicals are so minor then why is it mentioned so prominently on AUC's website?

    http://www.aucmed.edu/clinical/aff_clin_hosp.htm

    like i said, i'm taking your opinion with a grain of salt.

  10. #10
    swimguy23's Avatar
    swimguy23 is offline Elite Member 516 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,923
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmod
    so ur saying this guys info is totally wrong. no offense but i'm taking ur opinion with a grain of salt. if uk/ireland clinicals are so minor then why is it mentioned so prominently on AUC's website?

    http://www.aucmed.edu/clinical/aff_clin_hosp.htm

    like i said, i'm taking your opinion with a grain of salt.
    thats fine, take my opinion with a grain of salt. Youre entitled to your opinion too, but its wrong....What would i know, i only went to AUC, took step 1 and am in contact with many people from my class. I only just sat and wrote a shelf exam in clinicals and saw a good representation from my class on the east coast. Why do people think you are forced to go to UK/Ireland? Those clinical sites exist bc 1.) they were easier to obtain years ago when US clinical sites were harder for teh school to get 2.) they offer great teaching and clinical experience and 3.) Dr. M who taught H&P was british and hence managed the british sites.

    Not once have I ever been asked to go to england or ireland. In fact I got a call back the same day i faxed in my scores and had a choice of several different sites in the US. I dont see what you are proving with RRods post.....you obviously havent read a lot of his posts bc he has been a major voice in saying not everyone or even a lot of people go to europe.

    Again its mentioned on AUCs websites bc we have used those clinical sites for quite some time. Its good that you take peoples opinions with a grain of salt but please we dont need another student running around screaming about everyone being forced to go to england or ireland when my class of 80 something has 75 or so students in US sites.....
    Hospitalist 2011-2012
    Hematology/Oncology 2012-2015

    some swimmer from Ct Hidden Content
    the problem with the gene pool is that there are too many lifeguards.....and we have been offering swimmies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do you need a car during clinicals?
    By Can2carib in forum Windsor University School of Medicine Clinicals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
  2. Clinicals
    By Moonshine in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 03:57 PM
  3. Clinicals
    By corpsman in forum American University of Integrative Sciences (AUIS)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM
  4. uk clinicals
    By michal in forum St. Christophers College of Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
  5. Clinicals...
    By SamRoss in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 03:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •