Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Compassion MD's Avatar
    Compassion MD is offline Permanently Banned 517 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Advice needed...

    Advertisements



    Hi all...

    Currently junior year student with 2.3 gpa. (About 2.5 premed requis) However, will pull up my gpa and plan on getting A's and B's for the last two years in courses like anatomy, cell biology, biochem, micro, immun, etc. Hopefully with 3.0 by the time I graduate with BA is psych and ** in biological science. Worked in hospital as phlebotomist for 2 yrs (draw blood - one on one patient contact and responsibility), have research experience for 2 years, lots of volunteering hours (>1,500hrs) like in hospital and international medical relief trips to other 'poor' countries. MCAT about low 20s... <25 but >20 What else can I do to improve my chances for AUC?

    Note.. not asking my CHANCES but what else I can DO to IMPROVE.

    Any advice are welcomed.. =D

  2. #2
    DrShikima's Avatar
    DrShikima is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Compassion MD
    Hi all...
    Currently junior year student with 2.3 gpa. (About 2.5 premed requis) However, will pull up my gpa and plan on getting A's and B's for the last two years in courses like anatomy, cell biology, biochem, micro, immun, etc. Hopefully with 3.0 by the time I graduate with BA is psych and ** in biological science. Worked in hospital as phlebotomist for 2 yrs (draw blood - one on one patient contact and responsibility), have research experience for 2 years, lots of volunteering hours (>1,500hrs) like in hospital and international medical relief trips to other 'poor' countries. MCAT about low 20s... <25 but >20 What else can I do to improve my chances for AUC?
    Note.. not asking my CHANCES but what else I can DO to IMPROVE.
    Any advice are welcomed.. =D
    Not sure. Honestly, if you do all that you've said.... perhaps maybe get a job in the field or in some benchwork research. But keep your grades up and do the best you can on the MCAT.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    137
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is easy to think about suddenly changing course and earning mostly A's
    after earning a C average. You need be honest with yourself about your
    habits and living situation. Since you have not been successful, you
    must make many changes, including changes that other sucessful students
    may not follow. It will also take time for you to become accustomed to
    sitting and studying for long periods of time. It is similar to running
    or lifting weights. Your ability to study and focus will increase as
    time passes.

    Sincerity
    1. Do you really want succeed? You need a sincere desire to succeed.
    It is easy to talk about changing, but it is difficult to actually change
    your habits and be consistent over a long period of time.

    Study habits
    1. Scan or read the material before lecture.
    2. Do not waste your class lecture time. Be engaged and do not daydream.
    3. Review material after lecture if your schedule allows you to do so.
    4. Take notes on paper when you are reading the text.
    5. Stay organized with a schedule and an organized notebook or notebooks.
    6. Rotate your subjects. Find an amount of time that allows you to accomplish
    something for each subject and then change to the next subject. Take a 10 minute
    break after aproximately one hour of actual studying time. Try not to read other
    material or talk to people during most of this 10 minute period. You need to
    study each classes material many times throughout the week. The key to information
    retention is reptition throughout the week.
    7. Go beyond being familiar with the information. You must test yourself by
    attempting to recall information without the assistance of the text or notes.
    Use notecards and then quiz/tests on a blank piece of paper.
    8. Form a regular study group that is not a social gathering. Don't meet with
    the group unless you have read the material.

    Bad Habits
    1. Consistently get enough sleep. If you are not getting about 7 hours
    of sleep each night, then you will not be efficient. If you are falling
    asleep while studying, take a knap before you drink another cup of coffee.
    2. Stop watching TV. Treat the internet almost like TV.
    3. Stay away from people who want to party
    4. Don't study with people who talk too much during study time.
    5. Get some form of exercise even if it is just walking, pushups
    and crunches. It is especially helpful to stretch.

    Living situation
    1. Do you live near school?
    2. Do you work too much? Are you using loans?
    3. Do you have a roomate who is keeping you from studying? Do you have a
    girlfriend or boyfriend who is not in a similar situation or who is unsuccessful in school?
    4. If you live near school in an urban setting, do you need the additional financial
    burden of an automobile? If you live in the suburbs or a rural setting off campus,
    then you need to retain a car.

    Reconnaissance
    1. Ask more senior students about classes and professors/instructors that you plan
    on taking.
    a. Is the instructor a competent teacher.
    b. Is the instructor unfair in assigning grades. You cannot afford an unfair grade,
    you already have a history of poor grades.
    c. Are there any particular things that you can do to improve your grade. ie.
    start learning the muscle origin, insertion, action, innervation early.
    2. Aquire tests that show testing style of the professor or instructor.


    There is more to being successful than I have written here, but this may be helpful as a start.
    Improving your study methods and efficiency is critical. You have a finite amount of time. If
    you continue to earn C's next quarter or semester, you should withdraw or stop going to school
    for a while so that you can make serious changes in your life before continuing without jeopardizing
    your future.
    Last edited by gluconeogenesis; 12-10-2005 at 05:15 PM.

  4. #4
    AUCMD2006's Avatar
    AUCMD2006 is offline Ultimate Member 6129 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,062
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    get a >25 on mcat everything else looks onpar with avg students so you need something to set you apart....a 3.0 will not get you in US schools but a decent MCAT and a strong mcat will get you in your choice of carib schools.....
    AUCMD2006
    Bored Certified

  5. #5
    DrShikima's Avatar
    DrShikima is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by gluconeogenesis
    It is easy to think about suddenly changing course and earning mostly A's
    after earning a C average. You need be honest with yourself about your
    habits and living situation. Since you have not been successful, you
    must make many changes, including changes that other sucessful students
    may not follow. It will also take time for you to become accustomed to
    sitting and studying for long periods of time. It is similar to running
    or lifting weights. Your ability to study and focus will increase as
    time passes.

    Sincerity
    1. Do you really want succeed? You need a sincere desire to succeed.
    It is easy to talk about changing, but it is difficult to actually change
    your habits and be consistent over a long period of time.

    Study habits
    1. Scan or read the material before lecture.
    2. Do not waste your class lecture time. Be engaged and do not daydream.
    3. Review material after lecture if your schedule allows you to do so.
    4. Take notes on paper when you are reading the text.
    5. Stay organized with a schedule and an organized notebook or notebooks.
    6. Rotate your subjects. Find an amount of time that allows you to accomplish
    something for each subject and then change to the next subject. Take a 10 minute
    break after aproximately one hour of actual studying time. Try not to read other
    material or talk to people during most of this 10 minute period. You need to
    study each classes material many times throughout the week. The key to information
    retention is reptition throughout the week.
    7. Go beyond being familiar with the information. You must test yourself by
    attempting to recall information without the assistance of the text or notes.
    Use notecards and then quiz/tests on a blank piece of paper.
    8. Form a regular study group that is not a social gathering. Don't meet with
    the group unless you have read the material.

    Bad Habits
    1. Consistently get enough sleep. If you are not getting about 7 hours
    of sleep each night, then you will not be efficient. If you are falling
    asleep while studying, take a knap before you drink another cup of coffee.
    2. Stop watching TV. Treat the internet almost like TV.
    3. Stay away from people who want to party
    4. Don't study with people who talk too much during study time.
    5. Get some form of exercise even if it is just walking, pushups
    and crunches. It is especially helpful to stretch.

    Living situation
    1. Do you live near school?
    2. Do you work too much? Are you using loans?
    3. Do you have a roomate who is keeping you from studying? Do you have a
    girlfriend or boyfriend who is not in a similar situation or who is unsuccessful in school?
    4. If you live near school in an urban setting, do you need the additional financial
    burden of an automobile? If you live in the suburbs or a rural setting off campus,
    then you need to retain a car.

    Reconnaissance
    1. Ask more senior students about classes and professors/instructors that you plan
    on taking.
    a. Is the instructor a competent teacher.
    b. Is the instructor unfair in assigning grades. You cannot afford an unfair grade,
    you already have a history of poor grades.
    c. Are there any particular things that you can do to improve your grade. ie.
    start learning the muscle origin, insertion, action, innervation early.
    2. Aquire tests that show testing style of the professor or instructor.


    There is more to being successful than I have written here, but this may be helpful as a start.
    Improving your study methods and efficiency is critical. You have a finite amount of time. If
    you continue to earn C's next quarter or semester, you should withdraw or stop going to school
    for a while so that you can make serious changes in your life before continuing without jeopardizing
    your future.

    I'll have to disagree on this. No one is the same and no one get straight honors all the way through basic sciences. There are plenty of people who do "C" work, as you put it, in basic sciences that are more than competent if not better during the clinical work. Conversely, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that those who have honored classes have failed step 1.

    This is not a debate on who does well or not in medical school. Just remember that a C is 70% and if you can remember 70% of the information for Step 1 then your score will be a lot better than those who short-term memory memorize and regurgitate.

    Personally, the kind of arrogance expressed in your statement doesn't help your collegues (yes, students because your one too), rather shows the lack of maturity in wanting to develop a working relationship with your peers.

    Rant off.

  6. #6
    ChanceCount's Avatar
    ChanceCount is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    893
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikima
    I'll have to disagree on this. No one is the same and no one get straight honors all the way through basic sciences. There are plenty of people who do "C" work, as you put it, in basic sciences that are more than competent if not better during the clinical work. Conversely, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that those who have honored classes have failed step 1.

    This is not a debate on who does well or not in medical school. Just remember that a C is 70% and if you can remember 70% of the information for Step 1 then your score will be a lot better than those who short-term memory memorize and regurgitate.

    Personally, the kind of arrogance expressed in your statement doesn't help your collegues (yes, students because your one too), rather shows the lack of maturity in wanting to develop a working relationship with your peers.

    Rant off.
    I'm pretty sure that he is talking about undergrad, not medical school.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    137
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I was trying to help out :)

    I was trying to give the person some advice as to how to change
    course, so that they would have a chance at being accepted to
    medical school. I have not applied to medical school yet, so I do
    not have direct experience with admissions yet.

    I am interested in osteopathic schools due to the addtional OMM
    modality. The average reported gpa for osteopathic schools is
    around 3.3 to 3.5 with an average MCAT of aproximately 24-26.
    Some of this information has been taken from the premium addition
    of US news. I have been reading that the gpa requirements for the
    caribbean have been increasing. I have no way of knowing if this
    is true or not. St. Georges posts demographics on their web site.
    Devry made a statement to the shareholders about the increasing
    standards for Ross.

    So, I have written about some of the factors that will contribute
    to your success or failure. I have had to be honest with myself
    and change things in order to rectify my situation.
    Last edited by gluconeogenesis; 12-11-2005 at 12:58 AM.

  8. #8
    butters's Avatar
    butters is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    817
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    gluconeogenesis...ure post definitely was informative but i also disagree with the last statement.

    however, it is very important to realize that if you are getting c's, you should reevaluate your studying and recognize what is holding you back from being an A or B level student. REally important to do this now in undergrad before you get to med school. B/c in med school you will need to shut out all the extraneous things and just focus in on your work. There is too much material and too little time to cover it.

    Where there is a will, there is a way and if you work hard, you will succeed .

    Best of luck.

  9. #9
    ChanceCount's Avatar
    ChanceCount is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    893
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butters
    gluconeogenesis...ure post definitely was informative but i also disagree with the last statement.

    however, it is very important to realize that if you are getting c's, you should reevaluate your studying and recognize what is holding you back from being an A or B level student. REally important to do this now in undergrad before you get to med school. B/c in med school you will need to shut out all the extraneous things and just focus in on your work. There is too much material and too little time to cover it.

    Where there is a will, there is a way and if you work hard, you will succeed .

    Best of luck.
    I don't disagree with what gluconeogenesis said. If you reevaluate what you are doing and continue getting C's, it isn't at all a bad a idea to take a semester or two off, so you can take some time to figure out what needs to be done without continuing to hurt your chances at getting into a medical school.

  10. #10
    butters's Avatar
    butters is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    817
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceCount
    I don't disagree with what gluconeogenesis said. If you reevaluate what you are doing and continue getting C's, it isn't at all a bad a idea to take a semester or two off, so you can take some time to figure out what needs to be done without continuing to hurt your chances at getting into a medical school.
    I don't feel that a person needs to take time off from school to reevaluate themselves...maybe cut down on their workload, but not necessarily be out of the loop.

    compassionmd...honestly, i think ure going to have to cut out some of the activities you take part in to really sit down and focus in on your grades.

    you are doing a dual degree which is an amazing thing to do! that in itself is quite an accomplishment (and takes quite the time out of the day).

    you already have quite an impressive resume...now it's time to make those grades impressive.

    good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Serious Advice needed please
    By Noname11 in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 07:44 AM
  2. Advice Needed
    By the game in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
  3. Advice Needed
    By Hope2BMedMom in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 07:24 PM
  4. some advice needed
    By Sara1234 in forum Pharmacology Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 12:01 PM
  5. Advice needed.
    By Linus77 in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •