Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    STBS is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    141
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    banking consensus

    Advertisements



    sorry in advance, i have done all the searches...
    I am just wondering if people have come to a decision on what the best way to bank in st. maarten is. i have wellsfargo right now and i want to keep it but then i heard about that whole scotia bank bank of america thing...do you guys think it really matters or should i get a bank of america account before i leave here.
    so if anyone thinks that their banking system is the best, could you let me know?
    thanks for the help as always.

  2. #2
    Skipper is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,142
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i have wachovia---and i just use the atm works well

    skipper
    11 months until the end of PGY 3
    President and Dean of--
    Skipper's Medical Univeristy of the Dutch West Indies--SMU-DWI
    Apply Now.....Get an MD in 6 Weeks....
    If you fail at AUC, SGU, or Ross why not transfer to SMU, if you fail at SMU, why not try another SMU.

  3. #3
    islandchic36 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    68
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I bank at Scotia, and there are positives and negatives.

    Positives: If you ask AUC to cut you a "local" check instead of a US check, you can deposit the check at scotia and have your loan money available immediately (huge plus if you're short on cash and you don't have to send it back to the US). If you do end up changing to a Bank of America back in the states then you can access that account from here and have no extra charges since they are affiliated. There are two 24-hour atm machines (that I know of).

    Negatives: The slowest tellers I have ever met- and I mean ever! Just use the ATM machine if you can. The closest ATM is in Simpson Bay, and the traffic can be a bit of a bear sometimes.

    All in all I would highly recommend them. I think it's nice to be able to link your account from the US to one here- it's pretty convenient!

    Hope this helps! CHEERS!

  4. #4
    DrShikima's Avatar
    DrShikima is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by STBS
    sorry in advance, i have done all the searches...
    I am just wondering if people have come to a decision on what the best way to bank in st. maarten is. i have wellsfargo right now and i want to keep it but then i heard about that whole scotia bank bank of america thing...do you guys think it really matters or should i get a bank of america account before i leave here.
    so if anyone thinks that their banking system is the best, could you let me know?
    thanks for the help as always.

    Yes, I would recommend getting a BofA student chequing account. There are 2 good reasons for this. 1) Free ATM use. And the Scotiabank ATM is the least hassle in using one (read back about other ATMs that are local banks). 2) By banking with BofA, you've got a reputible banking institution that does help you out when needed incase of ATM concerns, credit card/debit card problems, etc. However, yes, pretty much all banks will help you out in that regard but I've been banking with BofA since the 80s and never had a problem with them.

    I hope this helps out!

  5. #5
    ChanceCount's Avatar
    ChanceCount is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    893
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've never had a problem just keeping my account with Wells Fargo. The fee is normally like 5 dollars to withdraw money, but I usually withdraw enough to last a couple of weeks. I don't normally go to the the Scotia atm either.

  6. #6
    armymedic2MD is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    121
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so is there an ATM on campus, and if so which bank is it from?
    Life is short, live it to the fullest!

  7. #7
    Mr. Nesh is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From what I've read there is no ATM on campus.

  8. #8
    Lil786 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    163
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by armymedic2MD
    so is there an ATM on campus, and if so which bank is it from?
    lol I wish!

  9. #9
    blueoval's Avatar
    blueoval is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    140
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a bank account back home with my credit union. I use my ATM card to pull money. Cost 1.50 and I always pull enough money for a couple weeks. Use RBTT's ATMs. WIB has been known to withdrawl money from your account and then not give you the money. Try getting that fixed here in a timely fashion.

    With my loan check, I just hand it to my wife as she boards the plane and have her deposit it back home. This time though I will be Fed Exing it home. Have had my money in place within 5 days.

  10. #10
    Lil786 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    163
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Fed Exing

    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval
    I have a bank account back home with my credit union. I use my ATM card to pull money. Cost 1.50 and I always pull enough money for a couple weeks. Use RBTT's ATMs. WIB has been known to withdrawl money from your account and then not give you the money. Try getting that fixed here in a timely fashion.

    With my loan check, I just hand it to my wife as she boards the plane and have her deposit it back home. This time though I will be Fed Exing it home. Have had my money in place within 5 days.
    Have u Fed Exd a check from here before.....I mean is it safe?? I was thinking about doing the same....well i have no choice....but i still wonder??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Consensus on the Best Caribbean Medical School
    By miggy211 in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
  2. Consensus about MUA
    By ramrose in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM
  3. what is the consensus on xavier university
    By Soon2BDoc in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •