Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone thinking about going to AUC Needs to Read this!!

  1. #1
    FormerDoc is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Anyone thinking about going to AUC Needs to Read this!!

    Hello,

    I am an former AUC student, who is stuck with an MD, $250,000 in debt, but no residency. I completed the first half of basic sciences and loved the school scoring a 225/96 on my step 1. I thought that it was amazing to be living out my dream as a doctor even though I could not get into a US medical school. However then I hit the total mess called clinical sciences at our school. Scheduling rotations was a disaster and my academic advisor who was supposed to help me schedule my rotations never responded to my emails or phone calls. In fact both my pediatric and ob-gyn cores were not schedule until november and december of my fourth year. The clinical science sites were very diverse with some being very good and some being very bad and extremely malignant towards students. I did not match into a residency at the conclusion of my fourth year so I took a prelim year. From that point forward AUC was done with me. Despite calling and emailing several of the schools deans and faculty members for advice (none of which answered or returned any of my calls or emails to date), I received no help or even advice regarding how to maximize my chances of obtaining a residency program in the future. When I finally did get in touch with one of the staff members at the clinical science office they told me that they could not help get me in contact with the faculty members at the various clinical sites I rotated at. They did however say that they would review my personal statements (finally some help). They made no mention of when to submit them or any mention of a deadline. When I emailed it to them two weeks later in July they never responded, after giving them a week they I called them back and they told me that they would not review it because it is July and they are busy doing other things (that is the AUC I know). Also when talking to said staff member about how many people that graduate from AUC do not receive residency she responded "quite a few" which is interesting because I have never heard any data about the percentage of people placing in residency only about that "100% first time usmle pass rate". This seems very misleading on their part.

    Listen, I know that I am bitter and that bitter people post on these boards complaining about things, but that is not why I am posting this.

    Anyone thinking about going to AUC needs to know that at least the second half of school is a total mess and that while some people have extremely positive experiences and match into some very nice spots, just as many have nightmare experiences like I just described. The scary part is you have no real say in the matter it is like rolling the dice at craps.

    ANYONE THINKING ABOUT GOING HERE NEEDS TO BE VERY CAREFUL BECAUSE YOU WILL PAY AN ASTRONOMICAL FEE FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL AND THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU ONE BIT.

  2. #11
    AphtaLyfe is offline Senior Member 520 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    605
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Quote Originally Posted by rokshana View Post
    why do you think the school has any responsiblity to you now?
    you said you did a prelim last year...uh, why are THEY not helping you? in fact why could your prelim program not give you a cat spot? it happens alo...you prove yourself in a prelim spot and talk to your PD about staying and they will generally want to keep someone that they know...know how they work, know that they are a team player, know that is eager to learn...OR if a spot isn't available, that they will pick up a phone for you and call someone who may have a spot available

    why aren't you asking the PD or the attendings in your prelim program for help on how to maximize your application?...they are going to have WAY more contacts in US residency programs than AUC (or any caribbean med school).

    it would be nice if the caribbean med school had the network and support that US med schools have, but it isn't news (or at least should not be)that they do not.

    look around, esp now...have your previous PD reach out for you...this is the time when unexpectred opening come up...people have visa issue, change their mind, have to leave, etc, also mid aug is a time for unexpected openings...the 45 days required by the nrmp is up then (leaving earlier can be a match violation).
    Many programs are notorious for not giving their categorical spots to their prelims. We can speculate on the OP's work ethic but even if he was an above average prelim there's nothing close to a guarantee that he would've received a categorical spot or even a phone call to another program.

    Everything else you said is right on the money.

    To the OP: Hang in there... and if it's any consolation, know that even US schools have people go unmatched or only match prelim. My school definitely felt the squeeze this year.
    PGY-1

  3. #12
    FOID's Avatar
    FOID is offline Ninja Moderator 9413 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    38,215
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree. There's gotta be something else to this story. Did you work hard during clinicals or were you one of the slackers? What were you trying to match into? Surgery? Radiology? Dermatology?
    Posterior Fornix!

    ValueMD Super Moderator

  4. #13
    FOID's Avatar
    FOID is offline Ninja Moderator 9413 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    38,215
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sick of people blaming AUC for their faults of their own. I've had medical students who whine and complain that they don't get to leave at noon. They whine they don't get to see patients while when asking them to do a H&P, they refuse to do it. And when they don't get a residency, they blame others.
    Posterior Fornix!

    ValueMD Super Moderator

  5. #14
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12699 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,149
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FOID View Post
    I've had medical students who whine and complain that they don't get to leave at noon. They whine they don't get to see patients while when asking them to do a H&P, they refuse to do it.
    Holy crap, SERIOUSLY?! If a med student pulled that crap in our ED, I think a couple of our attendings (the former trauma surgeon from the South African Army leaps to mind) would send their sorry butts home in a sling and just fail them. Unbelievable.

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon ° MS - BYU ° MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


  6. #15
    FOID's Avatar
    FOID is offline Ninja Moderator 9413 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    38,215
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devildoc8404 View Post
    Holy crap, SERIOUSLY?! If a med student pulled that crap in our ED, I think a couple of our attendings (the former trauma surgeon from the South African Army leaps to mind) would send their sorry butts home in a sling and just fail them. Unbelievable.
    It is because there are way too many students at the hospital where I am at. They get lost.

    Another story: I gave an assignment (a journal article) for students to read and then present it to me the following day. One of the students said to me, "I don't want to do it because we have a shelf next week." The shelf was over 10 days away.

    That's cool. I envy you working with a former trauma surgeon from the South African Army. Must have a lot of cool stories.
    devildoc8404 likes this.
    Posterior Fornix!

    ValueMD Super Moderator

  7. #16
    stateofequilibrium's Avatar
    stateofequilibrium is offline Super Moderator 6105 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    25,450
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerDoc View Post
    Hello,

    I am an former AUC student, who is stuck with an MD, $250,000 in debt, but no residency. I completed the first half of basic sciences and loved the school scoring a 225/96 on my step 1. I thought that it was amazing to be living out my dream as a doctor even though I could not get into a US medical school. However then I hit the total mess called clinical sciences at our school. Scheduling rotations was a disaster and my academic advisor who was supposed to help me schedule my rotations never responded to my emails or phone calls. In fact both my pediatric and ob-gyn cores were not schedule until november and december of my fourth year. The clinical science sites were very diverse with some being very good and some being very bad and extremely malignant towards students. I did not match into a residency at the conclusion of my fourth year so I took a prelim year. From that point forward AUC was done with me. Despite calling and emailing several of the schools deans and faculty members for advice (none of which answered or returned any of my calls or emails to date), I received no help or even advice regarding how to maximize my chances of obtaining a residency program in the future. When I finally did get in touch with one of the staff members at the clinical science office they told me that they could not help get me in contact with the faculty members at the various clinical sites I rotated at. They did however say that they would review my personal statements (finally some help). They made no mention of when to submit them or any mention of a deadline. When I emailed it to them two weeks later in July they never responded, after giving them a week they I called them back and they told me that they would not review it because it is July and they are busy doing other things (that is the AUC I know). Also when talking to said staff member about how many people that graduate from AUC do not receive residency she responded "quite a few" which is interesting because I have never heard any data about the percentage of people placing in residency only about that "100% first time usmle pass rate". This seems very misleading on their part.

    Listen, I know that I am bitter and that bitter people post on these boards complaining about things, but that is not why I am posting this.

    Anyone thinking about going to AUC needs to know that at least the second half of school is a total mess and that while some people have extremely positive experiences and match into some very nice spots, just as many have nightmare experiences like I just described. The scary part is you have no real say in the matter it is like rolling the dice at craps.

    ANYONE THINKING ABOUT GOING HERE NEEDS TO BE VERY CAREFUL BECAUSE YOU WILL PAY AN ASTRONOMICAL FEE FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL AND THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU ONE BIT.
    Unfortunately you may not have gotten the memo that you are a grown up now and therefor all actions and their consequences are YOUR responsibility alone. This also includes Residency. As people have pointed out, you apparently didn't do your homework before starting at AUC, many IMGs/FMGs can pass the boards but not all match, and this is probably just going to get worse. Passing your boards and tests are the easiest parts of medical school, doing hardwork during clinicals and matching into Residency are the hard part.

    Not knowing you, I will never be able to truly tell you why you are not matching. But to complain that AUC is not helping you secure a Residency is absolutely ludicrous. AUC never helped me one iota during the match process (though I wish they cut me a check for all the traveling I sure did), and I matched with not any better scores than you. To suggest that THEY get into contact with the faculty members at the site where you rotated for you is amazingly ridiculous and just made me laugh when I read it. If YOU want a Residency spot YOU have to do the leg work and get it. No excuses.

    That being said, I do not think AUC is more of a mess during the second half than any other Caribbean school. Your statement that "it is like rolling the dice at craps" is absolute baloney and that "you have no real say in the matter," is a defeatist attitude. As an Attending Physician let me say this :

    YOU HAVE EVERY SAY IN THE MATTER.

    EVERYTHING YOU DO FROM THE DAY YOU STEP INTO THE HOSPITAL IS BEING JUDGED AND WEIGHED

    A MED STUDENT WHO DOES THEIR WORK STUDIOUSLY AND PUTS IN LONG HOURS IS CONSIDERED AVERAGE (Get used to the idea that everyone is at least as good as you are and you need to put in a lot of extra effort to standout. You should have learned this when you couldn't get into a US school, and apparently you have not learned this after a Caribbean medical school experience). I will not think ANY highly of you if all you do is show up and do the assigned work.

    In essence from they way you are throwing blame around it looks like you are trying to avoid responsibility for your current situation. Maybe you need to take a good look as to WHY you think people did not rank you highly enough to match.
    Posterior Fornix.

  8. #17
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11644 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,099
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stateofequilibrium View Post
    Unfortunately you may not have gotten the memo that you are a grown up now and therefor all actions and their consequences are YOUR responsibility alone. This also includes Residency. As people have pointed out, you apparently didn't do your homework before starting at AUC, many IMGs/FMGs can pass the boards but not all match, and this is probably just going to get worse. Passing your boards and tests are the easiest parts of medical school, doing hardwork during clinicals and matching into Residency are the hard part.

    Not knowing you, I will never be able to truly tell you why you are not matching. But to complain that AUC is not helping you secure a Residency is absolutely ludicrous. AUC never helped me one iota during the match process (though I wish they cut me a check for all the traveling I sure did), and I matched with not any better scores than you. To suggest that THEY get into contact with the faculty members at the site where you rotated for you is amazingly ridiculous and just made me laugh when I read it. If YOU want a Residency spot YOU have to do the leg work and get it. No excuses.

    That being said, I do not think AUC is more of a mess during the second half than any other Caribbean school. Your statement that "it is like rolling the dice at craps" is absolute baloney and that "you have no real say in the matter," is a defeatist attitude. As an Attending Physician let me say this :

    YOU HAVE EVERY SAY IN THE MATTER.

    EVERYTHING YOU DO FROM THE DAY YOU STEP INTO THE HOSPITAL IS BEING JUDGED AND WEIGHED

    A MED STUDENT WHO DOES THEIR WORK STUDIOUSLY AND PUTS IN LONG HOURS IS CONSIDERED AVERAGE (Get used to the idea that everyone is at least as good as you are and you need to put in a lot of extra effort to standout. You should have learned this when you couldn't get into a US school, and apparently you have not learned this after a Caribbean medical school experience). I will not think ANY highly of you if all you do is show up and do the assigned work.

    In essence from they way you are throwing blame around it looks like you are trying to avoid responsibility for your current situation. Maybe you need to take a good look as to WHY you think people did not rank you highly enough to match.
    DAMN!! When did you become an ATTENDING??!!!
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  9. #18
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12699 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,149
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FOID View Post
    That's cool. I envy you working with a former trauma surgeon from the South African Army. Must have a lot of cool stories.
    She´s tough as nails, but great to work with. Great accent, too, even in German.

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon ° MS - BYU ° MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


  10. #19
    ohsaq is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've heard similar stories about st. matthews. seems like my friends at ross had no problem.. thanks for this. i will not be applying here

  11. #20
    Untel's Avatar
    Untel is offline Member 525 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NYC, NY
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsaq View Post
    I've heard similar stories about st. matthews. seems like my friends at ross had no problem.. thanks for this. i will not be applying here
    So now AUC is similar to SMU.
    May be you should base your opinion on more than 1 post.

    BTW AUC and ROSS are 2 sister schools(same owner).
    Good luck at ROSS!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking of undertaking a MBBS in China? Read here... first
    By globalmedic in forum Asian Medical Schools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 02:18 AM
  2. Thinking SMU
    By Untel in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
  3. all truth about CMU. read before even thinking about join school.
    By newmartin in forum Caribbean Medical University (CMU)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
  4. Thinking about getting Vonage? Read!
    By nutsterrt in forum AUC Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
  5. Thinking about Studying Medicine Abroad? Read This First!!
    By Slaol in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 08:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •