Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Questions about social life and work/life balance

  1. #1
    hulksmash is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Questions about social life and work/life balance

    Advertisements



    Social life is important to being a well-balanced individual so this a sincere question about what students do for fun at AUC. I don't want to get blasted about having to study all the time or get lectured about focusing on priorities. I know these things, but I was wondering what students do on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights? Do students like to go out and have chill nights like group dinners or drinks?

  2. #2
    shwin's Avatar
    shwin is offline Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    reading room, first table on the right, aka the president's chair
    Posts
    302
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    after you adjust to the rigors of med school life, you'll be able to plan your leisure accordingly. there is ample opportunity to enjoy yourself on the island: water sports, scuba, ziplining, clubs/bars,hookers*, blow, bumper cars*. on campus alone there's pick-up bball, soccer, kayaking club and martial arts club (i think the latter 2 are still active...not sure). several students manage to go out just about every week and still do very well in school.

    *most dangerous IMHO

  3. #3
    BrianB4837 is offline Member 530 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    181
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are working so much that you are not socializing, something is wrong with the way you are studying. In basic sciences, you are only in class 4-5 hours per day. If you are studying for 4 hours, 6 days per week (which is probably the MAX amount you should be doing - 1 hour per class per day) that leaves you 4 hours of daylight to enjoy life, and 4 hours of night time to enjoy life. While basic sciences is hard, you at least still have time to enjoy yourself. Once residency starts, that option is gone for the most part. Many days, I see NO daylight and barely sleep 6 hours. Enjoy it while it lasts, trust me.

  4. #4
    AUCMD2013 is offline Senior Member 527 points
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    600
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You're out of your mind! There's no one here who studies that little. There's lots of complex material to repeat over and over. Don't forget ICM that they throw in just in case god forbid you finish studying early one day and have an hour to enjoy. If anyone studies as much as you say, they will fail miserably. The amount of studying you mention is 1/4th of the minimum amount a smart student would study. Maybe you never did basic sciences or did them so long ago that there wasn't much scientific knowledge available yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB4837 View Post
    If you are working so much that you are not socializing, something is wrong with the way you are studying. In basic sciences, you are only in class 4-5 hours per day. If you are studying for 4 hours, 6 days per week (which is probably the MAX amount you should be doing - 1 hour per class per day) that leaves you 4 hours of daylight to enjoy life, and 4 hours of night time to enjoy life. While basic sciences is hard, you at least still have time to enjoy yourself. Once residency starts, that option is gone for the most part. Many days, I see NO daylight and barely sleep 6 hours. Enjoy it while it lasts, trust me.
    American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine Graduate

    Basic Sciences [X] Step 1 [X] Step 2 CS [X] Step 2 CK [X] Cores [X] Electives [X] Match [X] M.D. Diploma [X] Step 3 [X] IM Residency [X] Medical license [X] Internal medicine boards ABIM [X] Board certified practicing Hospitalist [Hidden Content ]

  5. #5
    slevit1MD's Avatar
    slevit1MD is offline Ultimate Member 665 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,383
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUCMD2013 View Post
    You're out of your mind! There's no one here who studies that little. There's lots of complex material to repeat over and over. Don't forget ICM that they throw in just in case god forbid you finish studying early one day and have an hour to enjoy. If anyone studies as much as you say, they will fail miserably. The amount of studying you mention is 1/4th of the minimum amount a smart student would study. Maybe you never did basic sciences or did them so long ago that there wasn't much scientific knowledge available yet.
    No, you're wrong...very wrong. If you're studying 4 times more than he mentions, you are definitely doing something wrong (or are not very smart at all), and you need to work on your study skills to become far more efficient. It is absolutely possible to study 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, and learn all the info well. In fact, depending on the semester and the block, I sometimes studied less than that. My grades were consistently mid-upper 80's / low 90's, with a few exams that I got 95-100% each semester. Some people had to study more than me, some studied about the same, and some studied even less. It varies with the person, but there are certainly lots of people who study about the amount that BrianB mentioned. You should never be studying from the end of class until bed, and you should always be able to take one day per week off. I clearly did not fail miserably.
    slevit1, M.D. Hidden Content
    PGY-1, Emergency Medicine

  6. #6
    slevit1MD's Avatar
    slevit1MD is offline Ultimate Member 665 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,383
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hulksmash View Post
    Social life is important to being a well-balanced individual so this a sincere question about what students do for fun at AUC. I don't want to get blasted about having to study all the time or get lectured about focusing on priorities. I know these things, but I was wondering what students do on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights? Do students like to go out and have chill nights like group dinners or drinks?
    OK...back to your question. As mentioned above, there is plenty time to have a social life and also study hard and do well in classes. What students do largely depends on which students you're referring to and what you want to do. Some people like to just hang out with friends in their apartments, some go out for group dinners, some like to be alone. There are some people who are at the bars or clubs nearly every weekend, and some who like the casinos. Shwin mentioned many of the available activities, and there are many others. Personally, I went scuba diving on the weekends about once a month, I went out to dinner frequently, had BBQs at my place, usually went home for the weekend once per semester, occasionally went out to bars with friends, usually had my girlfriend come down once per semester....I kept busy.
    slevit1, M.D. Hidden Content
    PGY-1, Emergency Medicine

  7. #7
    AUCMD2013 is offline Senior Member 527 points
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    600
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slevit1MD View Post
    No, you're wrong...very wrong. If you're studying 4 times more than he mentions, you are definitely doing something wrong (or are not very smart at all), and you need to work on your study skills to become far more efficient. It is absolutely possible to study 4 hours a day, 6 days a week, and learn all the info well. In fact, depending on the semester and the block, I sometimes studied less than that. My grades were consistently mid-upper 80's / low 90's, with a few exams that I got 95-100% each semester. Some people had to study more than me, some studied about the same, and some studied even less. It varies with the person, but there are certainly lots of people who study about the amount that BrianB mentioned. You should never be studying from the end of class until bed, and you should always be able to take one day per week off. I clearly did not fail miserably.

    Maybe it's different for everyone but nearly all the people in my 200-member class studied 10 hours a day at least (with the exception of a few people who were bettter endowed than others). On the other hand, maybe our class did overstudy since we were by far the strongest class that ever come through here. Not sure what it was about the fall 2009 class but there were ~70 people inducted into the honor society and apparently they had to raise the required gpa to 85 for the future semesters so they can fit them honor society into one photograph next time. I believe 50% of our class was on the dean's list at least once at some point. May have been the higher-than-usual %age of Canadian students or perhaps we studied too much and didn't take advantage of the island as much as we should've...hmmmmm
    American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine Graduate

    Basic Sciences [X] Step 1 [X] Step 2 CS [X] Step 2 CK [X] Cores [X] Electives [X] Match [X] M.D. Diploma [X] Step 3 [X] IM Residency [X] Medical license [X] Internal medicine boards ABIM [X] Board certified practicing Hospitalist [Hidden Content ]

  8. #8
    OlReagan's Avatar
    OlReagan is offline Member 527 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    about 45-50hrs a week here, and almost as much time screwing around on the internet, it's a good balance for me

  9. #9
    slevit1MD's Avatar
    slevit1MD is offline Ultimate Member 665 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,383
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUCMD2013 View Post
    Maybe it's different for everyone but nearly all the people in my 200-member class studied 10 hours a day at least (with the exception of a few people who were bettter endowed than others). On the other hand, maybe our class did overstudy since we were by far the strongest class that ever come through here. Not sure what it was about the fall 2009 class but there were ~70 people inducted into the honor society and apparently they had to raise the required gpa to 85 for the future semesters so they can fit them honor society into one photograph next time. I believe 50% of our class was on the dean's list at least once at some point. May have been the higher-than-usual %age of Canadian students or perhaps we studied too much and didn't take advantage of the island as much as we should've...hmmmmm
    I'd be willing to bet that the people at the top of your class were not studying for 10 hours a day, every day, or anywhere near it. If you are studying that much, you seriously need to talk to someone about study skills...that's ridiculous. Most of the people I knew that did study that much were not doing that well. They probably raised the requirements to 85% because they realized that 83% is awfully low for an honors society, and really not honors at all. I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the number of Canadian students, who also did no better than anyone else in my class, on average.
    slevit1, M.D. Hidden Content
    PGY-1, Emergency Medicine

  10. #10
    Canuckstudent is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    83
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have to agree more along the lines with AUCMD2013... but it all depends on what you want. Do you want to ace the classes and want a shot at Dean's list? Or are you fine with getting by with an 80% average. I guarantee there are VERY few people who do really well with 4hrs a day, 6 days a week of studying. VERY FEW. Most people in my class, again much like AUCMD2013's experience are studying quite a bit more than 4 hours in a day. Obviously, the amount varies depending on how close you are getting to the block exams... but seriously 24hrs of studying in a week and hitting Dean's list? I don't believe it... at least not for 90%+ of the Dean's list. My class seems to make up the majority of the Dean's list the past two semesters (percentage wise) and I can tell you first hand I know most of them are studying closer to 8 hrs a day. Considering our classes end around 11:30, and most people are going to bed around 11:30 at night... that still leaves roughly 4 hours in between to eat, work out, and do whatever else you want.

    Don't get me wrong... you can "get by" with 4 hours in a day studying, with Sundays off... if it is productive studying. But you are not going to be making Dean's list, and you will likely be skirting around 80% if your smart/ natural learner... or you will simply fail out. Those are pretty much the two choices for 4 hours a day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Social Life
    By tml.chelseafc in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
  2. Social Life?
    By megamoore in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 02:29 PM
  3. Social Life
    By aksharma in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 06:19 AM
  4. Social Life?
    By batina17 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •