Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Skittles23 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    135
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    3rd and 4th year rotations

    Advertisements



    Someone just told me SGU was better because you don't have to schedule 3 and 4 year rotations. Anyone know how this works at AUC?
    Thanks
    Skittles

  2. #2
    stateofequilibrium's Avatar
    stateofequilibrium is offline Super Moderator 6105 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    25,450
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know what they meant by that. 3rd year rotations you pick from a list of available core sites offered by AUC, it is a first come first serve basis. The only work you have to do is deciding which one you want to go to and taking your Step 1.

    4th year electives are something you are free to choose wherever you want and who will take you. I would think SGU students would have to contact these sites as well if they wanted them. But there are already established places like the cores, where it takes no more effort than writing them an email expressing interest.
    Posterior Fornix.

  3. #3
    BiologyBY's Avatar
    BiologyBY is offline Elite Member 672 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Forgetaboutit
    Posts
    4,199
    Downloads
    30
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In SGU you don't get to choose where you do your 4th year, at AUC you can choose either from the list or your own.
    Board certified Anesthesiology
    Board Certified Pain Management
    Attending physician

  4. #4
    FOID's Avatar
    FOID is offline Ninja Moderator 9413 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    38,215
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BiologyBY View Post
    In SGU you don't get to choose where you do your 4th year, at AUC you can choose either from the list or your own.
    i think at SGU, you also get to choose where to do your electives at.
    Posterior Fornix!

    ValueMD Super Moderator

  5. #5
    DrFraud's Avatar
    DrFraud is offline Elite Member 6132 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Back in the US..., back in the US...., back in the USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles23 View Post
    Someone just told me SGU was better because you don't have to schedule 3 and 4 year rotations. Anyone know how this works at AUC?
    Thanks
    Skittles
    Curious who this someone is....actually, it is my general opinion about SGU is that they try and market themselves by having a better clinical departent and rotations than either Ross, AUC, or SABA as a way to justify the higher tuition that they charge, and I didn't accept this logic when I was looking at medical schools 2 years ago, and I do not believe that today there is a significant difference, outside of the fact that SGU has much bigger classes and therefore they need many more affiliate hospitals for their students, which can trick applicants into believing that SGU has more clinical slots per student than AUC when they do not.

    Scheduling has taken me a little more time than what my colleagues at SGU have to spend, but I get a little more flexibility. To me, I see it as a total trade off and I prefer to have the flexibity and that was one reason why I prefer AUC's approach.

    I did research, lots and lots of research, and I determined for myself at the time that there is not and that there would not be a significant difference between the clinical experience at either AUC and SGU. As far as AUC is concerned, everything as far as my rotations scheduling is concerned has been much better than what the reps from SGU said and what the students at SGU post on Valuemd when they make comparisons.

  6. #6
    kemper6036's Avatar
    kemper6036 is offline Ultimate Member 6117 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,122
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFraud View Post
    Curious who this someone is....actually, it is my general opinion about SGU is that they try and market themselves by having a better clinical departent and rotations than either Ross, AUC, or SABA as a way to justify the higher tuition that they charge,
    probably someone who believes that sgu is the "harvard of the caribbean"
    kemper, M.D.
    PGY 1
    Surgery at WFMC
    AUC Alum
    UC Riverside alum

  7. #7
    Skittles23 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    135
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFraud View Post
    Curious who this someone is....actually, it is my general opinion about SGU is that they try and market themselves by having a better clinical departent and rotations than either Ross, AUC, or SABA as a way to justify the higher tuition that they charge, and I didn't accept this logic when I was looking at medical schools 2 years ago, and I do not believe that today there is a significant difference, outside of the fact that SGU has much bigger classes and therefore they need many more affiliate hospitals for their students, which can trick applicants into believing that SGU has more clinical slots per student than AUC when they do not.

    Scheduling has taken me a little more time than what my colleagues at SGU have to spend, but I get a little more flexibility. To me, I see it as a total trade off and I prefer to have the flexibity and that was one reason why I prefer AUC's approach.

    I did research, lots and lots of research, and I determined for myself at the time that there is not and that there would not be a significant difference between the clinical experience at either AUC and SGU. As far as AUC is concerned, everything as far as my rotations scheduling is concerned has been much better than what the reps from SGU said and what the students at SGU post on Valuemd when they make comparisons.
    It was actually an old friend of mine who is an SGU graduate. She wouldn't have any reason to "sell" me the school, but she told me she "highly recommended" SGU and the above is one of the reasons she gave me. Another high school friend of mine is at SGU now and she said "SGU is the only Caribbean school I would go too." Well, a friend of my older sisters who is an AUC grad is currently finishing her residency at Georgetown, and this old friend of mine who graduate from SGU is somewhere in Philadelphia. I'd rather be in Georgetown Universtiy although Philly is good too.
    Point is, they are both doing what they love. I don't know why SGU people think they are the "best".
    Skittles23

  8. #8
    DrFraud's Avatar
    DrFraud is offline Elite Member 6132 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Back in the US..., back in the US...., back in the USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kemper6036 View Post
    probably someone who believes that sgu is the "harvard of the caribbean"

    Well, since island life on St. Martin is better than Grenada, and since it's difficult to argue the basic sciences are any better when AUC, SABA, and Ross provide 2 more months of classes than SGU, and AUC has more personalized classes between 70-150 students, about the only thing they can claim is the prestige card, which I think is funny when I'm standing next to someone who thinks they are G_d's gift to medicine, and looks at me as if their eye balls are in their nostrals instead of their orbits because they go to in their words 'the #1 2nd chance medical school in the Caribbean'

    I think it just silly when someone at either Ross, AUC, SABA, or SGU claims they go to the best Caribbean school...in my opinion, there are some differences between the four, but nothing that makes one stand out as best.
    Last edited by DrFraud; 08-15-2008 at 09:25 PM.

  9. #9
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11644 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,099
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    really don't understand why you have such a chip on your shoulder about sgu Drfraud....there ARE clinical centers at sgu and it is nice to have the option to stay in one place for 1-2 years ( after all you can sign a lease a year at a time instead of looking at short term places) but is that better? Depends on your point of view---I liked the idea of saying in one place for 2 years, but others I know liked being able to move around. Many of the hospitals have both SGU and AUC (as well as Ross) students present and i seriously doubt the education experience is all that much different....though from what i gather from what i've read here, AUC looks at 3rd year cores and 4th year electives as interchangeable and there is no guarantee that all 3rd year cores will be done during the 3rd year (though it seems this is more of an issue at Ross than it is at AUC) and at sgu you will do 3rd year cores before 4th year electives - this can help with getting away rotations a little easier at places that require you to be a 4th year before uo can do an elective (many texas programs for example)-but i would imagine if it was important enough to you, you could arrange that at AUC too...

    as much as people may want to tout their school as the BEST school, there isn't any significant difference between the schools that give you staffords and 50 states (ie Ross, AUC, and sgu)- which school you pick is more, ultimately, a matter of personal preference and priorities--for ME having a significant chance to be in one spot for the last 2 years was important enough to pick sgu, but island life, money, clinical site location, time on the island, etc are all things that can make someone pick one of the 3 over the other--no of which makes one better than another, just better for YOU...

    my chief resident is a rossie, i have fellow interns from auc, so obviously we all ended up at the same place, just took different paths to get here....

    what i don't understand is the need to bash another school and rarely do you see someone over on the sgu forum saying bad things about auc or ross, yet you see it here and at ross 's forum on a periodic basis...
    Last edited by rokshana; 08-15-2008 at 09:54 PM.
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  10. #10
    Skittles23 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    135
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rokshana View Post
    what i don't understand is the need to bash another school and rarely do you see someone over on the sgu forum saying bad things about auc or ross, yet you see it here and at ross 's forum on a periodic basis...
    That's probably because SGU students are too obsessed with themselves to think about anyone else or too busy looking around reading posts from other schools in order to constantly defend how they are the best....what's up with that.
    But I wish I knew about the last two years. I would prefer to stay in the same place for 2 years, although I like the idea of getting to explore new places. just my 2cents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. You have to set up 3rd and 4th year rotations yourself?
    By JokerABC in forum Xavier University School of Medicine, Aruba
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM
  2. Where to do 4th year rotations
    By dave2626 in forum Windsor University School of Medicine Clinicals
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM
  3. 3rd/4th year rotations
    By ncxtarheel in forum Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara (UAG)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 12:43 AM
  4. 3rd and 4th year rotations
    By FoxTrot in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 03:37 PM
  5. 4th year rotations
    By BIGOSUFAN in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •