Sponsored Links
Page 94 of 401 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 4003
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Post "What are my chances" here ONLY

  1. #1
    stateofequilibrium's Avatar
    stateofequilibrium is offline Super Moderator 6105 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    25,450
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Post "What are my chances" here ONLY

    Ask what your chances are here ONLY

    * Please ask all "What are my chances?" in this thread only. All others will be locked.
    * This thread is for admission chances discussion ONLY, please stay on topic. If you have a question not related, please start a new thread
    * This is an experimental thread to help create a receptive and informative atmosphere, if it doesn't work or gets out of control, it'll be locked down and we'll return to forbidding you to ask at all.
    * If you are replying, please use the REPLY function to avoid confusion to whom you are addressing.

    ** DISCLAIMER: We cannot tell you with any real authority on your chances. The best idea for your actual chances is to apply and find out.

    -------------------------------------------------------

    For reference: STUDENT PROFILE FOR 2006
    American University of the Caribbean

    90% are U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
    4% are Canadians
    6% are International
    40% are Female students
    60% are Male students
    98% have Bachelor's degree or pending degree
    7% have Master's degree
    0% have Doctorate degree
    Average Cumulative GPA: 3.2
    Average Science GPA: 3.1
    Average MCAT: 23



    Important Notice

    Violations of the Terms of Service will be immediately dealt with. Courtesy PMs or immediate infractions will be given at the discretion of the moderators.

    Due to numerous posts going off-topic, warnings and infractions will be handed out without warning.
    Last edited by stateofequilibrium; 08-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    dredwinf and MD_Babas like this.
    Posterior Fornix.

  2. #931
    angermngment is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    245
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Just to stay on topic, 3.59 overall and 3.4 science GPA is pretty good... You could probably get in with about 23 on the MCAT (I think)...

    Honestly, ill jump on the bandwagon here, even though its off topic... I am actually looking forward to the "difficulties" of attending a caribbean medical school.

    I applied to the caribbean knowing 100% that it will be more difficult to get what I want in the end... But thats just it... I really do look forward to the challenge... I want it to be a challenge... I want people to "discriminate" against me just because I will be a caribbean grad... How can they have their prejudice after seeing me succeed? How can anyone say a word?

    The only people I feel bad for are my friends that are going to be attending US MD, and DO schools... I feel bad for them because I didnt work as hard as they did in undergrad, but in the end, we will all find ourselves achieving our goals.

    But lets face it... If I had the opportunity to attend a US school, I would take it.... without hesitation... The only thing is... It will not taste as sweet to me when I am done with it.

  3. #932
    slevit1MD's Avatar
    slevit1MD is offline Ultimate Member 665 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,383
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.Nac View Post
    Ok, first, don't criticize my reasons. If I prefer to go to a caribbean school, then I prefer to go to a caribbean school. Oh, and the scuba comment was a BONUS. Not a reason... So literal aren't we now?

    "The caribbean is a last resort." What is this non-sense? Where on AUC's website does it say a person cannot apply unless they have less than stellar grades (which I don't have stellar grades) or have already tried the US? Please past the URL.

    But, so that I can fit into your little stereotype, I am "borderline." Borderline doesn't secure me a spot...

    Oh, and don't think that I haven't thought about the radiology residency... First, I said I am partial.... Meaning, I like it. Second, I have not had the chance to explore other specialties besides Ortho and Family, thus I have NOT decided. Sorry for having a goal buddy... What was I thinking...

    I posted on this site for advice, not for someone to tell me that I have "extremely poor judgement." Don't reply to what I have to say if it bothers you. If there is an ignore button so you can't see what I say, push it.

    I hope others at AUC do not share your views.
    I will criticize your reasons because they are bad and uninformed! Like I said in my first post to you, you need to do research and spend a little more time reading these boards, which you clearly have not done. No matter the reasons you might think it's better to come to a caribbean school without applying to the US, you're wrong! Don't get me wrong...AUC is a good school and you'll wind up with an MD degree if you make it through, but you do not go to a caribbean school if you can go to a US school! This is not my opinion...this is the opinion of nearly every person who attends a caribbean school!

    Could you get into a US school? Maybe, maybe not; without having a MCAT score, it's impossible to tell. If you do your best on the MCAT and it's still not good enough for the US, then by all means, come to AUC and be happy for the chance they give you. However, if there is any way to go to the US, you'd be a fool not to do it.

    Where is it on AUC's website that caribbean is a last resort? Do I seriously have to break this down to you? AUC is a business, they want to make money, and they'll do whatever they can to attract you here. However, if you ask anyone who does not stand to make money from the deal, they'll tell you that I'm right and you don't come here before trying the US.

    I said nothing in my post about it being bad for you to have a dream. With all the experience you have, I'd expect you to want rads. I'm just telling you that if there's a good chance you may want that specialty, and you may have a shot in the US, you should take that shot to increase your chances! It is possible to do from AUC, but difficult. What the people who are not yet here do not understand [read - angermngment] is that it's not about doing well, getting that warm feeling inside, and getting the residency you want. It doesn't matter if you get a 250 on the USMLE, there are some programs that will not look at you simply because you're a caribbean graduate.

    Can you apply here as a backup before you get your US results? Sure...I did and so do many others. But, should you apply here without even trying the US, if you have a decent chance? Absolutely not. I am giving you advice and I did not say that you have extremely poor judgement. My advice is/was to not make the decision to come here before you get an MCAT score and apply to US schools first. Now, if you choose to not take that advice, then you would be exercising that extremely poor judgement.
    slevit1, M.D. Hidden Content
    PGY-1, Emergency Medicine

  4. #933
    slevit1MD's Avatar
    slevit1MD is offline Ultimate Member 665 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,383
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angermngment View Post
    Just to stay on topic, 3.59 overall and 3.4 science GPA is pretty good... You could probably get in with about 23 on the MCAT (I think)...

    Honestly, ill jump on the bandwagon here, even though its off topic... I am actually looking forward to the "difficulties" of attending a caribbean medical school.

    I applied to the caribbean knowing 100% that it will be more difficult to get what I want in the end... But thats just it... I really do look forward to the challenge... I want it to be a challenge... I want people to "discriminate" against me just because I will be a caribbean grad... How can they have their prejudice after seeing me succeed? How can anyone say a word?

    The only people I feel bad for are my friends that are going to be attending US MD, and DO schools... I feel bad for them because I didnt work as hard as they did in undergrad, but in the end, we will all find ourselves achieving our goals.

    But lets face it... If I had the opportunity to attend a US school, I would take it.... without hesitation... The only thing is... It will not taste as sweet to me when I am done with it.
    Aww..that's almost cute. Naive, but cute.

    Nobody has it easy in med school, or at least nobody that I'm aware of. Everyone in medical school works hard to do well, whether they go here or somewhere in the US. However, to wish for discrimination is just ridiculous, and probably offensive to some people. How can they be prejudiced after they see you succeed? Well, it really doesn't matter how they do it, it only matters that they do. As I said in the post before, there are some places that flat out do not take FMG's as resident or for rotations, doesn't matter how great you did. Don't fool yourself and think that once you pass the USMLE, we're all on equal ground. You may feel sorry for your friends, but nobody else does. I do feel sorry for your friends in DO school, but that's another discussion entirely
    slevit1, M.D. Hidden Content
    PGY-1, Emergency Medicine

  5. #934
    Nick.Nac is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phur View Post
    The point that everyone is getting at is that as carib med students and even doctors later on, we have to jump through a lot more hoops than ones from schools inside the states. Yes, we come out with the same degree, but doing so we are 2 years out of the country, (potentially) moving all around during MS3 and MS4, having to always prove yourself, being excluded from some residencies, and still having the stigma of being a foreign med school grad. I just wonder why someone would put themselves through that if they didn't have to. The only benefit really is starting really quickly. In the end its your choice. You will get in here. There really isn't much debate.

    Sounds like you kinda have your mind made up already, which is up to you. But you haven't even taken the MCAT yet. Study hard and do that first. If you get in the high 20's or 30s, you will get interviews with American schools and quite possibly get in. You'll have a real good shot at DO schools to with your GPA and even with a less than stellar MCAT score.

    But like I said, it sounds like you decided already. So for the short answer as this is the "what are my chances?" thread. Your chances are very very good with an MCAT score of above 20.
    Thank you for the reply. I'm actually not even sure what score to guess I'll get. I'm hoping for mid 20's at least. Trust me, I'll be studying my rear off.

  6. #935
    Nick.Nac is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaol_121 View Post
    I think Slevit was just offering some constructive advice. If you are wanting to select from a smörgåsbord of residency options, statistics show that you have a better chance of landing them from a stateside school. Sure, you could come to AUC, get a perfect score on the boards, and land the dream residency... but it will be more difficult (not impossible).

    The people on this forum are kinda impatient with people who don't research things beforehand. I completely sympathize with you about starting late, though - I did the same thing last year (applied to 8 allopathic schools... all too late, so I pissed away a ton of cash).

    Your grades are good and you are very wrong about the junior college hurting you. The fact that you got an associates degree in radiology and then got your bachelor's in the same thing shows that you are motivated and goal oriented. You need to make sure that you do well in organic chemistry (generally thought of as the pre-med weedout course at most colleges) and get that GPA up a little bit.

    Make sure you study for the MCAT.

    I agree with you that the Caribbean should not be viewed as a "last resort" for medical education. Call me crazy, but I secured my seat in the May 08 class when I haven't even heard back from all my US schools yet. The risk involved with going offshore is higher than that of LCME schools, but we take the same tests, finish earlier, have decent clinicals (not great, but decent), and a very good shot of matching. Plus, you have the added adventure of living on an island for two years and all the excitement that comes with it.... (studying on the beach, power outages, getting to barter for things, etc...)
    Hey those excitements don't sound too bad. I love the beach. And, I agree with you about the last resort comment also. It's funny because 2 of the orthopods that work were I do are caribbean graduates. That gives me hope that it is possible to land a difficult residency. I'm not sure of slevits study habits, he has no faith in himself and his school apparently. Thanks for the info.

  7. #936
    angermngment is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    245
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I AM naive... But I do know how hard I have to work, and I also know that no medical school is "easy", but caribbean students in the past have done what I am planning on doing in the future, so unless I lack something that they had, there should be no reason for me to be worried. Oh, and the prejudice that im talking about... I was talking about the prejudice POST residency, as someone has stated before. Pre-residency prejudice is acceptable (to me), only because none of us were "good enough" to make it into the US schools to begin with.

  8. #937
    Nick.Nac is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
    I will criticize your reasons because they are bad and uninformed! Like I said in my first post to you, you need to do research and spend a little more time reading these boards, which you clearly have not done. No matter the reasons you might think it's better to come to a caribbean school without applying to the US, you're wrong! Don't get me wrong...AUC is a good school and you'll wind up with an MD degree if you make it through, but you do not go to a caribbean school if you can go to a US school! This is not my opinion...this is the opinion of nearly every person who attends a caribbean school!

    Could you get into a US school? Maybe, maybe not; without having a MCAT score, it's impossible to tell. If you do your best on the MCAT and it's still not good enough for the US, then by all means, come to AUC and be happy for the chance they give you. However, if there is any way to go to the US, you'd be a fool not to do it.

    Where is it on AUC's website that caribbean is a last resort? Do I seriously have to break this down to you? AUC is a business, they want to make money, and they'll do whatever they can to attract you here. However, if you ask anyone who does not stand to make money from the deal, they'll tell you that I'm right and you don't come here before trying the US.

    I said nothing in my post about it being bad for you to have a dream. With all the experience you have, I'd expect you to want rads. I'm just telling you that if there's a good chance you may want that specialty, and you may have a shot in the US, you should take that shot to increase your chances! It is possible to do from AUC, but difficult. What the people who are not yet here do not understand [read - angermngment] is that it's not about doing well, getting that warm feeling inside, and getting the residency you want. It doesn't matter if you get a 250 on the USMLE, there are some programs that will not look at you simply because you're a caribbean graduate.

    Can you apply here as a backup before you get your US results? Sure...I did and so do many others. But, should you apply here without even trying the US, if you have a decent chance? Absolutely not. I am giving you advice and I did not say that you have extremely poor judgement. My advice is/was to not make the decision to come here before you get an MCAT score and apply to US schools first. Now, if you choose to not take that advice, then you would be exercising that extremely poor judgement.

    Deleted......
    Last edited by Nick.Nac; 03-29-2008 at 08:15 PM.

  9. #938
    Phur's Avatar
    Phur is offline Member 535 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    244
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of intentionally handicapping yourself for the future if you don't have to. I have to admit I do agree with slevit in that you are jumping into the Carib boat way too quickly. You're closing doors to your future for what? A few months.


    As for the "excitement", when I first got my acceptance I thought the same thing. Then I realized it was just rationalization on my part. Power outages an excitement? Please.
    I highly doubt anyone is happy about when the power goes.
    ..Or when the internet is going at an under dial-up speed
    ..Or being away from friends and family for the better part of four years (sometimes the case inside the US, but at least they don't need a passport to come visit you.)
    ..Or being declined by rotations that don't accept IMG's
    ..Or not being offered an interview for residency because you're an IMG
    ..Or the extra work of having to get certified by ECFMG

    I've got a bunch more, but I think I've made my point. The Carib for all intents and purposes is for people who have exhausted all their options.

    Med school is tough enough as it is, but having a lot of the luxuries you're used to taken away as well doesn't make it any easier.

    Just my take.

    ((And this post just made me realize how jaded I am already, and I don't leave for the island for another month. ))

  10. #939
    syedifti868 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    chances`

    UCLA bio major
    gpa: 3.1
    sci gpa: 2.8
    mcat: 31 O

    I was wondering what my chances were for getting into AUC. I have been told by a friend to apply Spring quarter (May) because I heard I would have a better chance to get accepted and fall quarter would be much more difficult. Is this true? What would be my chances with these grades spring quarter and/or fall quarter?

    Also the same friend told me to take 3 or 4 science courses at a community college this summer and get A's in all of them because AUC would consider this as a part of my science gpa, even if I did not take it at my university. This would thus result in a boosting of my science gpa which currently is not stellar, to say the least. Could anyone validate or invalidate this claim. Thank you in advance, and peace to all.

  11. #940
    Slaol's Avatar
    Slaol is offline Elite Member 7164 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,846
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syedifti868 View Post
    UCLA bio major
    gpa: 3.1
    sci gpa: 2.8
    mcat: 31 O

    I was wondering what my chances were for getting into AUC. I have been told by a friend to apply Spring quarter (May) because I heard I would have a better chance to get accepted and fall quarter would be much more difficult. Is this true? What would be my chances with these grades spring quarter and/or fall quarter?
    Why don't you try to get into DO school? Your MCAT is above the average for DO.

    As to AUC, your friend is right in that the January and May classes are smaller and less competitive. I applied to May for this reason. You can always apply to the May class and then defer to another semester by paying them money.
    - Slaol
    http://corbinmd.blogspot.com/

    American University of the Caribbean (AUC) class of 2012

    Chief Resident Family Medicine
    Hennepin County Medical Center

Similar Threads

  1. Post "What are My Chances?" Here ONLY
    By KUNSAN in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3691
    Last Post: 09-18-2019, 10:53 PM
  2. **Post "What Are My Chances?" Here ONLY**
    By crystal in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3488
    Last Post: 09-18-2019, 04:40 PM
  3. Step score cutoffs? (ie "what are my chances?")
    By aust0042 in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
  4. can we move just the "what are my chances" sticky back to main page?
    By medic300107 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
  5. NOT a "What are my chances" post...
    By William G. in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •