Sponsored Links
Page 194 of 401 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 4003
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Post "What are my chances" here ONLY

  1. #1
    stateofequilibrium's Avatar
    stateofequilibrium is offline Super Moderator 6105 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    25,450
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Post "What are my chances" here ONLY

    Ask what your chances are here ONLY

    * Please ask all "What are my chances?" in this thread only. All others will be locked.
    * This thread is for admission chances discussion ONLY, please stay on topic. If you have a question not related, please start a new thread
    * This is an experimental thread to help create a receptive and informative atmosphere, if it doesn't work or gets out of control, it'll be locked down and we'll return to forbidding you to ask at all.
    * If you are replying, please use the REPLY function to avoid confusion to whom you are addressing.

    ** DISCLAIMER: We cannot tell you with any real authority on your chances. The best idea for your actual chances is to apply and find out.

    -------------------------------------------------------

    For reference: STUDENT PROFILE FOR 2006
    American University of the Caribbean

    90% are U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
    4% are Canadians
    6% are International
    40% are Female students
    60% are Male students
    98% have Bachelor's degree or pending degree
    7% have Master's degree
    0% have Doctorate degree
    Average Cumulative GPA: 3.2
    Average Science GPA: 3.1
    Average MCAT: 23



    Important Notice

    Violations of the Terms of Service will be immediately dealt with. Courtesy PMs or immediate infractions will be given at the discretion of the moderators.

    Due to numerous posts going off-topic, warnings and infractions will be handed out without warning.
    Last edited by stateofequilibrium; 08-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    dredwinf and MD_Babas like this.
    Posterior Fornix.

  2. #1931
    bogey's Avatar
    bogey is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    277
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Quote Originally Posted by Nelphus View Post
    UCSD?

    We need some more UC reps
    UCSB here.

  3. #1932
    caribphro is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    50
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    chances for auc may semester

    Hi all,
    I am VERY interested in attending AUC and would love your advice on the matter.
    GPA: ~3.3
    MCAT: 26S
    Does the univ/major you had in undergrad actually make a difference (rumor has it, but I don't know)?
    extracirrics: hospital volunteer work both in US and other countries, major research development, 2 publications, tutoring, teaching, homeless shelter, habitat for humanity etc

    so...I want to get in for the May semester and have been trying to contact a recruiter, but she hasn't yet returned my phone calls. Can I make it for the May semester? I haven't even done any research on loans or housing or anything. My first thought is just about the application.

    Last q: is it okay to have profs send the letters of rec individually? or can i gather them all in a manilla envelope and send it out (all of them sealed, of course)? I just dont think my college LOR service will be quick enough for the may semester.
    thanks so much for all of your help and sorry for the long post! =)
    Last edited by caribphro; 03-15-2009 at 01:57 PM.

  4. #1933
    kemper6036's Avatar
    kemper6036 is offline Ultimate Member 6117 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,122
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    may will be tight.....you should get in though. have you exhausted all your US opportunities??
    kemper, M.D.
    PGY 1
    Surgery at WFMC
    AUC Alum
    UC Riverside alum

  5. #1934
    caribphro is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    50
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    oops--i meant to say 26 (not 29; i just edited that).

    i've been told with my gpa and mcat, my chances for us med schools are slim to none (as disheartening as that is, i've accepted the fact). i can try for DO, but since I don't know where I will be practicing, I would rather have an internationally recognized MD rather than a nationally recognized DO. plus, i figure i have a better chance at getting into AUC either may or aug and starting as opposed to waiting to be rejected by US schools and then trying again for AUC next year.

    with that, i'm going to try to get everything in by the end of march, but i just don't know if i should hit the "apply for may 2009" or "apply for aug 2009" button...

  6. #1935
    kemper6036's Avatar
    kemper6036 is offline Ultimate Member 6117 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,122
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yea with a 26, probably no chance at a US school. should be fine for AUC
    kemper, M.D.
    PGY 1
    Surgery at WFMC
    AUC Alum
    UC Riverside alum

  7. #1936
    bogey's Avatar
    bogey is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    277
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caribphro View Post
    oops--i meant to say 26 (not 29; i just edited that).

    i've been told with my gpa and mcat, my chances for us med schools are slim to none (as disheartening as that is, i've accepted the fact). i can try for DO, but since I don't know where I will be practicing, I would rather have an internationally recognized MD rather than a nationally recognized DO. plus, i figure i have a better chance at getting into AUC either may or aug and starting as opposed to waiting to be rejected by US schools and then trying again for AUC next year.

    with that, i'm going to try to get everything in by the end of march, but i just don't know if i should hit the "apply for may 2009" or "apply for aug 2009" button...

    I think you can still make it into May but you should do your best to get a hold of admissions ASAP. I was on the phone with them last Thursday and it was my understanding that May still had a few open spots.

    Regarding the LORs: I'd rather send them as a group because then you'll have first hand knowledge of when they were mailed. Thus, you won't be left wondering if and when they were sent. If you have the authors put them into sealed envelopes and then you collect them and mail them as a group in one large envelope, that should be fine. You could have each sign the seal of the individual envelope as further proof that you didn't read or tamper with them—that's probably overkill but I don't think it'll count against you.

    Finally, regarding the "internationally recognized MD": please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a caribbean MD is not as internationally recognized as you might think. I recall a discussion where it was said that DOs have about 46-47 countries that recognize their degree vs. the Caribbean MD was recognized in like 10 or so fewer countries. Having said that, I'm choosing AUC over my DO options. And please, I'm not trying to start a war of DO vs. Caribbean MD. So, like I said, if I'm wrong about the international aspect, please correct me.

    Best of luck.
    Last edited by bogey; 03-15-2009 at 06:44 PM.

  8. #1937
    slevit1MD's Avatar
    slevit1MD is offline Ultimate Member 665 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,383
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogey View Post
    Finally, regarding the "internationally recognized MD": please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a caribbean MD is not as internationally recognized as you might think. I recall a discussion where it was said that DOs have about 46-47 countries that recognize their degree vs. the Caribbean MD was recognized in like 10 or so fewer countries. Having said that, I'm choosing AUC over my DO options. And please, I'm not trying to start a war of DO vs. Caribbean MD. So, like I said, if I'm wrong about the international aspect, please correct me.

    Best of luck.
    I think you've got that backwards. It's my understanding that DOs are just about exclusively recognized in the US, with almost nowhere else to go. Caribbean MD is just an MD degree like any from the US (at least from the decent schools). This would make sense, since DO is something that some guy just conjured up based off of chiropractic "medicine." Of course, it's changed an awful lot over the years to be basically the same as an MD, but that's not how it started, and most places don't recognize it.
    slevit1, M.D. Hidden Content
    PGY-1, Emergency Medicine

  9. #1938
    slevit1MD's Avatar
    slevit1MD is offline Ultimate Member 665 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,383
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caribphro View Post
    Hi all,
    I am VERY interested in attending AUC and would love your advice on the matter.
    GPA: ~3.3
    MCAT: 26S
    You should be fine for any semester. For your other questions, your best source of info is MEAS, not ValueMD
    slevit1, M.D. Hidden Content
    PGY-1, Emergency Medicine

  10. #1939
    bogey's Avatar
    bogey is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    277
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
    I think you've got that backwards. It's my understanding that DOs are just about exclusively recognized in the US, with almost nowhere else to go. Caribbean MD is just an MD degree like any from the US (at least from the decent schools). This would make sense, since DO is something that some guy just conjured up based off of chiropractic "medicine." Of course, it's changed an awful lot over the years to be basically the same as an MD, but that's not how it started, and most places don't recognize it.
    Yes, I think you're right.

    International rights to practice weren't a concern for me and had nothing to do with why I chose AUC over DO but I do I remember now where I heard this. Someone trying to convince me to go DO used SGUs website where it quotes around 36 countries that their graduates had gained practice rights in. I didn't give it much more thought until now because I planned on practicing in California and international rights meant nothing to me. But now that I think about it, nowhere did it say that country X, Y, or Z didn't recognize the degree.

    Anyhow, my apologies for the misinformation.

  11. #1940
    pepsicherry is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    39
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    What are MY chances?

    Hello everyone!

    I'm a junior majoring in Electrical Engineering at a good state university. My stats:
    Cum GPA: 2.9
    Major Gpa(Engineering): 3.2
    No MCAT yet

    As far as prereqs go, i've only taken chem1 and got a C in it

    For my other prereqs, i will be taking chem 2 and bio1 and 2 during the summer at a community college (cheaper and easier)

    Would they accept such classes from a CC? What are my chances?

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. **Post "What Are My Chances?" Here ONLY**
    By crystal in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3487
    Last Post: 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM
  2. Post "What are My Chances?" Here ONLY
    By KUNSAN in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3689
    Last Post: 02-10-2019, 06:56 PM
  3. Step score cutoffs? (ie "what are my chances?")
    By aust0042 in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
  4. can we move just the "what are my chances" sticky back to main page?
    By medic300107 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
  5. NOT a "What are my chances" post...
    By William G. in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •