Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    amit233 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    56
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    AUC Internet access

    Advertisements



    Is the AUC campus have wireless internet service available throughout the campus or library?

    Also, have some students used "Tablet PC notebooks"? If so, did you find them helpful or more of a hassle? I'm of course going to buy a latop before I start school, but I'm debating if I should buy a tablet PC.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    options's Avatar
    options is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    937
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    my favorite subject..

    Yes, there is wireless internet in the library and some other places. I would not plan on using it for anything important, such as checking web pages or email, because it will take you at least 30 seconds to a min. for each page to load. You can basically use it for.. wasting your life, watching the flag spin on your IE, or it's a great way to get really pissed off. Apparantly its pretty fast for the professors and really fast for the IT guys, but we don't see any of that.
    Director of Anatomy --
    Skipper's Medical Univeristy of the Dutch West Indies--SMU-DWI

  3. #3
    microphage's Avatar
    microphage is offline Useless Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,749
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by options
    Yes, there is wireless internet in the library and some other places. I would not plan on using it for anything important, such as checking web pages or email, because it will take you at least 30 seconds to a min. for each page to load. You can basically use it for.. wasting your life, watching the flag spin on your IE, or it's a great way to get really pissed off. Apparantly its pretty fast for the professors and really fast for the IT guys, but we don't see any of that.
    no wonder u have so much time to instant message me while studying for ur step...
    Finally beat Super Mario Bros within 7 mins.

  4. #4
    DrShikima's Avatar
    DrShikima is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by microphage
    no wonder u have so much time to instant message me while studying for ur step...
    And how do you explain your post count?

  5. #5
    options's Avatar
    options is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    937
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    more ranting!

    Quote Originally Posted by microphage
    no wonder u have so much time to instant message me while studying for ur step...
    That's from home...my instant messenger won't stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time at school, if it ever logs in.
    Director of Anatomy --
    Skipper's Medical Univeristy of the Dutch West Indies--SMU-DWI

  6. #6
    Scott1981's Avatar
    Scott1981 is offline Super Moderator 10511 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,769
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the 30 sec to one minute loading time for each web page is too good to be true there. most of my experiences (minus the few days a year that they tease you with a fast connection), it can take up to 5 minutes to load a single page.
    Board Certified
    Internal Medicine

    VMD Moderator

  7. #7
    options's Avatar
    options is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    937
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1981
    the 30 sec to one minute loading time for each web page is too good to be true there. most of my experiences (minus the few days a year that they tease you with a fast connection), it can take up to 5 minutes to load a single page.
    Yeah, you are right, I don't know why I gave them so much credit. 30 seconds wouldn't even be that bad (see how beaten down I am). Also, like you said, the fact that there is a good connection available and for some reason (i'm sure corrupt), we don't get to use it. For a week around my 2nd or 3rd semester the internet was really fast, like being able to watch the news fast, and then they went back to slower than dial up ever since. There is something fishy going on, but I seem to be the only one who cares about using the new fangled internet super highway. Everyone else just sits there and pretends they are actually surfing.
    Director of Anatomy --
    Skipper's Medical Univeristy of the Dutch West Indies--SMU-DWI

  8. #8
    Scott1981's Avatar
    Scott1981 is offline Super Moderator 10511 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,769
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    a solution that i also had was take over a whole row of computers. have each computer work on another page that you want to view. you need at least 5-6 computers to make it useful. then by the time you are finished reading one page, another would have been loaded up on another.

    what is funny that when you take the kaplan simulated..... yea its slow..... but nowhere near as slow as the day before or after the exam.
    Board Certified
    Internal Medicine

    VMD Moderator

  9. #9
    stateofequilibrium's Avatar
    stateofequilibrium is offline Super Moderator 6105 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Battlestar Galactica
    Posts
    25,450
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, I don't know how much bandwidth the school has.. but when certain employees are constantly streaming videos.. I'm sure the bandwidth is greatly reduced.
    Posterior Fornix.

  10. #10
    options's Avatar
    options is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    937
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott1981
    a solution that i also had was take over a whole row of computers. have each computer work on another page that you want to view. you need at least 5-6 computers to make it useful. then by the time you are finished reading one page, another would have been loaded up on another.

    what is funny that when you take the kaplan simulated..... yea its slow..... but nowhere near as slow as the day before or after the exam.
    Yeah, someone this semester asked how we could possibly take a kaplan simulated when you can't even check a webpage. We were told we get switched to a different network.... .... ....
    Director of Anatomy --
    Skipper's Medical Univeristy of the Dutch West Indies--SMU-DWI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Internet Access?
    By Silverwolf in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 05:39 PM
  2. Internet access
    By esth0001 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
  3. Internet Access(in dorms)
    By PcFreak in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 02:18 PM
  4. Internet access
    By nwpremedstu in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 08:47 PM
  5. Internet Access in school
    By microphage in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •