Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Got accepted to AUA THIS semester, should I go?

  1. #1
    sumbody1245 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Got accepted to AUA THIS semester, should I go?

    Hey everyone. I have been out of college for a few years now, working, and applied to AUA back in college. I decided to finally complete the application and I got in for THIS semester, like in 2 weeks, to my surprise.

    I know I can save 2 years of my life getting a masters by going to an international med school, but I am worried about AUA since they are a lower tier international med school. I want to avoid Family Practice and Internal Medicine at all costs, and I know the odds are stacked against me going to AUA, but its not impossible to say the least. I was thinking of taking off work for a semester, sitting down for the MCAT, and trying to get into a higher tier international school to better my odds of not getting into a bottom tier residency. But would really make that big of a difference going to Ross over AUA that it warrants me spending an extra semester studying for the MCAT?

    Though the MCAT prep might be useful since I've been out of school for a while and barely remember anything, but I was under the impression that med school is there to prep you for Step 1 so they will teach you everything you need to know? Thanks beforehand for any replies!

    EDIT: Forgot to mention my stats, 2.8 GPA, AUA told me I need the MCAT so I sat down and took it blind and got a 22. I can't get into an American med school regardless of how high I get my MCAT.
    Last edited by sumbody1245; 01-29-2014 at 02:15 PM.

  2. #11
    Ubuntu is offline Senior Member 519 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,416
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Just a little perspective from a carib USIMG going through the match this year....as a carib grad, regardless of school, you'll have one hell of an uphill battle...especially anything more competitive than IM. With that, even more of a reach if you want to go to a well respected program. I had one PD at a mid tier uni program for IM tell me point blank that he did not invited any carib students until his AMG applicants cancelled and even at that his cutoff was at least a 250 on step 1 or 2 with zero red flags. From talking to friends applying to EM this year it's an even bigger struggle as a carib grad. I think if you're going to head to an off shore now you need to be in the mindset that you are going to end up in peds/family/psych/IM. Not to say that people will not match into other specialties, however I think everyone should be prepared mentally to go into one of those 4.

    Personally I don't recommend anyone to head to the carib if they don't HAVE to. At least try applying DO schools a few cycles. Entertain the idea of PA school. Whatever you need to do. If you will only be happy in life as a MD and you've exhausted all the other options then do whatever you can to get into AUC/Ross/SGU.

    To your statement "a good step score is a good step score"....yes, you're right...scores matter but not as much as everything thinks. I know more than one person with double 260's not getting programs that should be easily within reach...at least for an interview.


  3. #12
    Raj25 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To be completely fair, caribbean schools are FOR PROFIT schools and they accept students with unrealistic expectations of becoming a high end doctor. I remember when I entered AUA in 2011 August being part of the first batch for the "American modeled two semester" model - students just had unrealistic goals of becoming Surgeons, Anaesthesiologists etc and the faculty by no means helped rectify it. They just kept lying and fooling the students until we reached MED 4 and the bar for passing the kaplan comp shelf was raised by our school president and provost to 72.

    I think it was completely fair on part of the higher admin of AUA to be realistic set standards that you need a 72 on comp shelf to score atleast 220+ on Step 1. Students who came to class, went to ALL TA sessions, extra help sessions and read textbooks/kaplan videos/did Qbanks scored well on the kaplan comp and passed STEP 1 with flying colors (and that was around 20-30 students). The rest two hundred odd passed by basic sciences without coming to class, partying and cheating by. What was worse is that the faculty and the teaching staff had a hand in the cheating and encouraged it until these students blindly moved onto med 4, clinicals without passing comp shelf and now 3 years after starting basic science, it is sad that they WILL NOT realistically get a residency.

    Moral is: BE HONEST with yourself!!! Your friends don't pay your tuition dollars so don't get carried by trying to impress them (that was what many of my classmates did and they failed miserably on the kaplan comp exam). If AUA or any of the caribbean is not for you (i.e., you passed by basic science by cheating and could not pass comp shelf), then you are not destined to be a physician.

  4. #13
    NYMD121 is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krish123 View Post
    To be completely fair, caribbean schools are FOR PROFIT schools and they accept students with unrealistic expectations of becoming a high end doctor. I remember when I entered AUA in 2011 August being part of the first batch for the "American modeled two semester" model - students just had unrealistic goals of becoming Surgeons, Anaesthesiologists etc and the faculty by no means helped rectify it. They just kept lying and fooling the students until we reached MED 4 and the bar for passing the kaplan comp shelf was raised by our school president and provost to 72.

    I think it was completely fair on part of the higher admin of AUA to be realistic set standards that you need a 72 on comp shelf to score atleast 220+ on Step 1. Students who came to class, went to ALL TA sessions, extra help sessions and read textbooks/kaplan videos/did Qbanks scored well on the kaplan comp and passed STEP 1 with flying colors (and that was around 20-30 students). The rest two hundred odd passed by basic sciences without coming to class, partying and cheating by. What was worse is that the faculty and the teaching staff had a hand in the cheating and encouraged it until these students blindly moved onto med 4, clinicals without passing comp shelf and now 3 years after starting basic science, it is sad that they WILL NOT realistically get a residency.

    Moral is: BE HONEST with yourself!!! Your friends don't pay your tuition dollars so don't get carried by trying to impress them (that was what many of my classmates did and they failed miserably on the kaplan comp exam). If AUA or any of the caribbean is not for you (i.e., you passed by basic science by cheating and could not pass comp shelf), then you are not destined to be a physician.
    I do not understand why u feel it is necessary to continually post about how the students who have yet to take comp/step are not going to succeed and obtain a residency? Just because YOU were able to successfully pass a kaplan comp after TWENTY FIVE MONTHS of basic science doesn't mean you are god's gift to AUA. Most US medical students take it BEFORE the summer between their second and third year (i.e. after about 22 months of basic science). So why do u feel as though the time you took and passed the exam is the optimal time to take it? Bottom line is that anyone who passed any of the kaplan comps on the island beginning with the first one given in July WILL be matching for 2016. This is due to our 5th semester preclinical rotation not beginning until the following November of 2013. Therefore, if anyone takes the comp AND then step anytime between the beginning of 5th semester (July 1st, 2013) and probably June of 2014, EVERYONE from that group will be applying for the match of 2016 assuming all goes well during clinicals. Sorry to break it to you, but just because you took your comp and step and got whatever score you got DOES NOT eliminate the rest of the students who are still studying and continue do to do well anytime between now and June.

    I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall during your residency interview when you drop the famous line about how you passed kaplan comp on the island. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.
    gMD likes this.

  5. #14
    ps_lovenadia is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just got an interview to AUA and was SUPER excited because for me it was an accomplishment. (Even though I know that I'm not accepted yet.)
    But now reading all of these threads with AUA being seen as "bad" and having cheating problems is just saddening. I've always been excited to go to a caribbean med school and this was one of my top ones. Anyone who is attending or has attended AUA want to give me some insight? :-/
    Thanks in advance!

  6. #15
    BigOT is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Greetings everyone. I attended AUA for Pre-med, and continued into the Med program. I do not regret my decision at all. I miss my island! It is my second home. I had a wonderful time at AUA during basic sciences and in clinical rotations. I traveled the country (NY, Nebraska, Chicago) and saw all kinds of patients and pathologies. I studied hard on island and during clinicals and earned good scores on my USMLEs (215 and 258). Rotation availability is only getting better and our reputation as a solid Caribbean medical school is growing. I applied to Internal Medicine and Family Medicine this residency cycle and received 35 interviews (attended 18) and God willing I hope to match in 3 weeks. Study hard and shine and you will achieve your goals. I was a mediocre student in undergrad and the pre-med program at AUA taught me HOW to study for rigorous science classes and prepared me well for Med 1. The only thing I would caution people about is the private loans. I am not familiar with the current situation, but I know the private bank (Bank of Lake Mills) has high interest rates and no/minimal deferment in the past. Review that closely before taking loans. If you are lucky enough to not need loans and can fund it from another source, AUA is a perfect option. Best of luck to you all.

  7. #16
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12699 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,149
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It appears that nobody on this thread has mentioned the fact that someone who starts medical school overseas now (anywhere, not just AUA) will be graduating +/- 2018. I hate to flog a VMD-dead-horse here, but comparing the match rates of the past decade with the predicted rates starting between 2016-2020 is an exercise in futility. If the ACGME and AAMC are correct in their published data, and they achieve a 1-to-1 ratio of US medical graduates to US internship positions during that time period, then all bets are off as far as applying for the Match as a foreign medical graduate.

    Nobody has a crystal ball for exactly how this will all play out, but it is not hard to do the math and come up with a fair idea. (I do not post this to pee in anybody's cheerios, but it is important information for making these kinds of decisions.)

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


  8. #17
    Raj25 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMD121 View Post
    I do not understand why u feel it is necessary to continually post about how the students who have yet to take comp/step are not going to succeed and obtain a residency? Just because YOU were able to successfully pass a kaplan comp after TWENTY FIVE MONTHS of basic science doesn't mean you are god's gift to AUA. Most US medical students take it BEFORE the summer between their second and third year (i.e. after about 22 months of basic science). So why do u feel as though the time you took and passed the exam is the optimal time to take it? Bottom line is that anyone who passed any of the kaplan comps on the island beginning with the first one given in July WILL be matching for 2016. This is due to our 5th semester preclinical rotation not beginning until the following November of 2013. Therefore, if anyone takes the comp AND then step anytime between the beginning of 5th semester (July 1st, 2013) and probably June of 2014, EVERYONE from that group will be applying for the match of 2016 assuming all goes well during clinicals. Sorry to break it to you, but just because you took your comp and step and got whatever score you got DOES NOT eliminate the rest of the students who are still studying and continue do to do well anytime between now and June.

    I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall during your residency interview when you drop the famous line about how you passed kaplan comp on the island. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.
    And I would love to be a fly on the wall when you actually CAN PASS the SHELF and STEP 1!!! YOU NEED TO SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!! I LOVE IT WHEN YOU MUSTER THE COURAGE TO ACTUALLY DEFEND THOSE WHO CHEAT AND RUIN THE ENTIRE SCHOOL AS A RESULT!!! UNLESS OF COURSE YOU HAVE A HAND IN THIS CHEATING ALONG WITH THE MSA AND NAGRA'S MANIPAL FACULTY!!! How can you possibly say that every one is doing well when it is not possible EVEN in the BEST US medical school that students who don't even come to class, party every weekend somehow pull incredibly high scores on their MINIs and Shelfs and yet can't even come close to passing the comp shelf and STEP 1!!!
    pepsatrap and hydrogen4 like this.

  9. #18
    NYMD121 is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    42
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krish123 View Post
    And I would love to be a fly on the wall when you actually CAN PASS the SHELF and STEP 1!!! YOU NEED TO SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!! I LOVE IT WHEN YOU MUSTER THE COURAGE TO ACTUALLY DEFEND THOSE WHO CHEAT AND RUIN THE ENTIRE SCHOOL AS A RESULT!!! UNLESS OF COURSE YOU HAVE A HAND IN THIS CHEATING ALONG WITH THE MSA AND NAGRA'S MANIPAL FACULTY!!! How can you possibly say that every one is doing well when it is not possible EVEN in the BEST US medical school that students who don't even come to class, party every weekend somehow pull incredibly high scores on their MINIs and Shelfs and yet can't even come close to passing the comp shelf and STEP 1!!!
    There is now a system implemented where students have access to their old exams for reviewing purposes which forces the teachers to constantly come up with new questions. So it seems to me that the cheating issue has been resolved at this point. And it appears that the only one who is ruining the reputation of our school are those who keep posting all this nonsense on public forums, i.e. YOU. Please point out anywhere in ANY of my previous posts where I defend ANY single student who cheating. Let me save you some time by telling you that there are NONE. So please next time you attempt to respond to something I have written, try to actually read it first, and then form a coherent thought instead of just going on some sort of pointless, redundant tirade like you always do.

    BTW I like how all of your previous posts mention that our classes averages were the lowest averages EVER, but all of a sudden in your most recent post, our classes averages were above and beyond the averages in the history of medical schools.
    Stop contradicting yourself and stop posting useless information.

  10. #19
    rahulb is offline Senior Member 695 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    bmizzle
    Posts
    806
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i started in sep 2011 and i'm a wildly successful doctor now
    [X] Attending Physician

  11. #20
    pepsatrap is offline Junior Member 513 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NYMD121 - you seem to be posting the most useless info here. Be in the shoes of the old curriculum students for once who finished step1 and 2 in the middle of their rotations finding out the school lost rotation spots because of what your class has done.
    Last edited by pepsatrap; 03-01-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can I be accepted after failing 1 course in my first semester at AUC?
    By alpaca437 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 06:15 PM
  2. Accepted for the May 2011 semester
    By model1988 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM
  3. Accepted but not sure what semester I am starting in
    By sweet2826 in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
  4. just got accepted to 5th semester
    By jackets5 in forum University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 09:40 AM
  5. anyone still being accepted into the May semester?
    By RossCaliChick in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •