Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ctgirl is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Does MagicJack work on the island?

    Advertisements



    I'm gonna be going to AUA this fall and I was wondering if magicjack would work there?

    i hear some internet providers block the access of magicjack connection so they won't work.

    has anyone used magicjack there before?

    also, how does this unlocked phone situation work?

  2. #2
    Cyberia is offline Senior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctgirl View Post
    I'm gonna be going to AUA this fall and I was wondering if magicjack would work there?

    i hear some internet providers block the access of magicjack connection so they won't work.

    has anyone used magicjack there before?

    also, how does this unlocked phone situation work?
    Yes. Magicjack works on the island. I never used it (i used skype..free to call another computer and fairly cheap (like 2 cents or something) to call a regular phone.

    Unlocked phone means you can use the phone with another carrier. This will only work with AT&T and t-mobile phones. Carriers such as verizon, sprint, etc only work in the US. If you're moving out of the country, you can call AT&T and they'll give you the unlock code for your phone which will allow you to do this. (At least they're supposed to). I just bought one of the cheap pre-paid phones down there and would add minutes to it when they had a "double bubble" promotion (you pay for 100 min and get 200 min free). Worked just fine for me during my stay in antigua.

  3. #3
    ctgirl is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberia View Post
    Yes. Magicjack works on the island. I never used it (i used skype..free to call another computer and fairly cheap (like 2 cents or something) to call a regular phone.

    Unlocked phone means you can use the phone with another carrier. This will only work with AT&T and t-mobile phones. Carriers such as verizon, sprint, etc only work in the US. If you're moving out of the country, you can call AT&T and they'll give you the unlock code for your phone which will allow you to do this. (At least they're supposed to). I just bought one of the cheap pre-paid phones down there and would add minutes to it when they had a "double bubble" promotion (you pay for 100 min and get 200 min free). Worked just fine for me during my stay in antigua.
    So how much does a pre-paid phone cost? and how much does it cost to buy the minutes (e.g. 100 minutes)?

    thnx

    magicjack costs $40 a year but it's a land line. It'd be easier to use the cell phones if they're cheaper.

  4. #4
    Cyberia is offline Senior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctgirl View Post
    So how much does a pre-paid phone cost? and how much does it cost to buy the minutes (e.g. 100 minutes)?

    thnx

    magicjack costs $40 a year but it's a land line. It'd be easier to use the cell phones if they're cheaper.
    Looking at LIME's website, it's 69 EC cents a minute (about 25 cents US) and you used to get free incoming calls. Like i said before, I would always top up (add minutes to my phone) when they had double bubble..so by paying 100$ i would get 200 bucks worth of minutes. The phones are pretty cheap (like 40 EC or something) and they are cheap/crap phones, but they did work fine around the island and back in the states for me. I'd keep the cellphone for calling friends on the island, or emergencies from the states, and use skype when i was at my computer (to video chat with my wife) or use skype to call a landline back home when i needed to.

  5. #5
    ckintuition is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    86
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Magic Jack works fine, however some places have slower internet, so you might get a slightly broken line.

    Unlocked phones are phones that are not blocked for service by a foreign sim card. So you can use an ATAT or TMOBILE phone in antigua if you "unlock" it. Its probably better to bring a phone from home thats nicer, rather then buying a crappy nokia that the US had 10 years ago.

  6. #6
    ctgirl is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    20
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ckintuition View Post
    Magic Jack works fine, however some places have slower internet, so you might get a slightly broken line.

    Unlocked phones are phones that are not blocked for service by a foreign sim card. So you can use an ATAT or TMOBILE phone in antigua if you "unlock" it. Its probably better to bring a phone from home thats nicer, rather then buying a crappy nokia that the US had 10 years ago.
    is a nicer phone necessary? i just plan on using my phone for texting and making phone calls. i dont care about e-mail or other things. just testing and calls.

  7. #7
    CuriousD is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ckintuition View Post
    Magic Jack works fine, however some places have slower internet, so you might get a slightly broken line.

    Unlocked phones are phones that are not blocked for service by a foreign sim card. So you can use an ATAT or TMOBILE phone in antigua if you "unlock" it. Its probably better to bring a phone from home thats nicer, rather then buying a crappy nokia that the US had 10 years ago.

    I heard that if you bring a magic jack you'll need a router. Is this true?
    University of North Texas 2010 [Bio/Chem]
    AUA 2014 [Medicine]

  8. #8
    CARICOM-MED is offline Permanently Banned 530 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Multiple Accounts
    Posts
    1,236
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Skype vs majicjack

    Skype is a much better option if you ask me, with MJ, you need the computer on at all times, with skype these days you can download it to a itouch, and with wifi you can use it anyhwere at anytime...it works on both the 3G or wifi..


    Quote Originally Posted by ctgirl View Post
    I'm gonna be going to AUA this fall and I was wondering if magicjack would work there?

    i hear some internet providers block the access of magicjack connection so they won't work.

    has anyone used magicjack there before?

    also, how does this unlocked phone situation work?

  9. #9
    Cyberia is offline Senior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousD View Post
    I heard that if you bring a magic jack you'll need a router. Is this true?
    MJ hooks via a usb to your computer. Some of the dorms use wireless, others use an ethernet port. You should bring a router anyways, because that way you and your roommate can share the internet connection (and cut the price in half for service).

Similar Threads

  1. Have an iPhone, want it to work on the island? Let me help you
    By orcamk2 in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 01:32 PM
  2. Have an iPhone, want it to work on the island? Let me help you
    By orcamk2 in forum AUC Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
  3. Cheapest/Best Phone to use on island: Skype, MagicJack OR Vonage? Phones or internet?
    By Dr.Toronto in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
  4. Work on the Island for spouses/significant other?
    By radboy710 in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 06:05 PM
  5. Can or Do Spouses work on the island
    By EGX001 in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •