Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    atillius is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas & Manipal
    Posts
    34
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    When are you allowed to take the USMLE in AUA

    Advertisements



    Can you take the USMLE after completing your last semester of basic sciences? After you pass the Comprehensive Shelf Exam? or do you have to wait till you finish your 5th semester in the States?

  2. #2
    Cyberia is offline Senior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atillius View Post
    Can you take the USMLE after completing your last semester of basic sciences? After you pass the Comprehensive Shelf Exam? or do you have to wait till you finish your 5th semester in the States?
    After 5th. You pass a comp shelf in 4th semester..then another comp in 5th..then take usmle step 1.

  3. #3
    Fornis J. Plebney is offline Senior Member 525 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,279
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Students who achieve a minimum score of 60 (January, 2009 policy) on the Comprehensive Shelf Exam before the end of the 5th semester can be certified and may sit for Step 1 at the earliest date provided by ECFMG after successful completion of the 5th semester" - Page 11, Jan 2009 AUA Student Handbook.

    So basically, as soon as you pass the Comp, you can start your application, but can't take it until you pass 5th semester.

    In case you're interested, ECFMG is now charging $710 USD for the exam and AUA is charging $50 USD to process your application before sending it to ECFMG.

  4. #4
    Fornis J. Plebney is offline Senior Member 525 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,279
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberia View Post
    After 5th. You pass a comp shelf in 4th semester..then another comp in 5th..then take usmle step 1.
    You only have to pass the Comp once. It's offered again in 5th in case you didn't pass it at the end of 4th or if you just want the practice taking a Step type exam. You do have to pass the ICM shelf AGAIN in 5th semester with a minimum score of 60.

  5. #5
    Cyberia is offline Senior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgilbert63 View Post
    You only have to pass the Comp once. It's offered again in 5th in case you didn't pass it at the end of 4th or if you just want the practice taking a Step type exam. You do have to pass the ICM shelf AGAIN in 5th semester with a minimum score of 60.
    I stand corrected. I didn't realize you were allowed out of 4th semester if you didn't pass the comp. I thought the min score for comp in 4th was 54..and then 60 in 5th..but I guess I heard wrong. (Being in med 2, i've got a while till i have to worry about it )

  6. #6
    Fornis J. Plebney is offline Senior Member 525 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,279
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberia View Post
    I stand corrected. I didn't realize you were allowed out of 4th semester if you didn't pass the comp. I thought the min score for comp in 4th was 54..and then 60 in 5th..but I guess I heard wrong. (Being in med 2, i've got a while till i have to worry about it )
    Yeah, they'll let you go on to 5th as long as you pass all your classes / shelf exams. The current 5th semester class was the last class for a 58 passing on the Comp. The current 4th semester class (and future classes) now have to make a 60 on it. In 5th, they offer it twice...for this semester I think it is scheduled for 27 Feb and 24 Apr. You can keep taking it as many times as you want until you pass it...you just have to go to the site where it being given and I think after your second attempt, the exam is $75 each time you take it.

    Ah, the carefree days of Med2. Keep pressing onward...you bat your eyes and you'll be taking the comp.

  7. #7
    rahulb is offline Senior Member 695 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    bmizzle
    Posts
    806
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yea i think im taking it in may or june
    i started in sep 07
    [X] Attending Physician

  8. #8
    HinduDoc is offline Member 519 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Don't Ask..
    Posts
    248
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgilbert63 View Post
    "Students who achieve a minimum score of 60 (January, 2009 policy) on the Comprehensive Shelf Exam before the end of the 5th semester can be certified and may sit for Step 1 at the earliest date provided by ECFMG after successful completion of the 5th semester" - Page 11, Jan 2009 AUA Student Handbook.

    So basically, as soon as you pass the Comp, you can start your application, but can't take it until you pass 5th semester.

    In case you're interested, ECFMG is now charging $710 USD for the exam and AUA is charging $50 USD to process your application before sending it to ECFMG.
    you gotta be f'in kidding me..... they still wanna charge us?!?!?! more b.s. from aua

  9. #9
    Fornis J. Plebney is offline Senior Member 525 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,279
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HinduDoc View Post
    you gotta be f'in kidding me..... they still wanna charge us?!?!?! more b.s. from aua
    Yup. I had the same reaction. It's even highlighted in the student handbook...stating that to process your application, you have to submit the "appropriate fees". Makes me wonder what the $250 in admin fees and $150 in testing fees I paid this semester are going towards.

  10. #10
    Cyberia is offline Senior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's AUA. I bet C.G has something to do with that $50. He just cut the shuttle bus times down here to 3 per day..not every hour..VERY annoying to those who don't have a car.. He's also the guy who wanted to charge the $500 extra "late" registration fee if kids had their flight cancelled due to the ATC strike and couldn't get to registration on time...Considerate guy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. one way tickets allowed?
    By YZF600 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 07:55 AM
  2. Netflix allowed?
    By TheGreatWhite in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 06:49 PM
  3. are we allowed to do electives in FL?
    By got milk? in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
  4. Deferments allowed?
    By Covino in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:07 AM
  5. well if we r not allowed
    By sweetmia81 in forum St. Christophers College of Medicine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 09:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •