Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    shabi123 is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Caribbean top 10 Med Schools ranking ...... your opinion?

    Advertisements



    I am listing below the top 10 Caribbean Med schools ranking, please put down your opinions:1. St. George ----- Grenada ------ CA/NY approved2. AUC ------ St. Maarten ----------- CA/NY approved3. Ross ------ Dominica ---------------CA/Ny approved4. SABA -----Saba--------------------- CA/NY approved5. AUA ----- Antigua ----------------- CA/NY approved6. SMU ------ Grand Cayman --------- NY approved7. MUA ----- Nevis -------------------- NY approved8. UMHS ----- St. Kitts 9. USESOM ----- St. Eustatius10. WINDSOR ---- St. Kitts

  2. #2
    the ug schoolnooneknows is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    69
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Um I'd say your top 4 is probably correct. AUA has money, takes in a large amount of students hence why they got cali approval but I wouldnt necessairly say its quality of education is at par as the top 4. Hell the students there get to retake their exams and they accept transfer students. As far as SMU being better than MUA their school was disapproved by Cali so clearly i would not rank them that high and MUA is on its way of hopefully getting Cali approval after their application and site visit is cleared. Only thing holding MUA back is Cali approval cause once they get that and title IV loans it's going to open up more financial support to lure Americans in. But again Caribbean schools are after all at the end of the day.. a Caribbean school. Once you get to the states and send your app in for residency they arent going to give two pooh poohs which school you came from all they'll see is you're an IMG. And at this rate and the way things are looking in the states who knows what the future will hold for IMGs. The more US med schools that begin to open the less you'll see an IMG getting a residency spot. That's the truth unfortunately.

  3. #3
    syedh03 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hey , umm i dont really know how to make a new post- but i guess this has to do with the opening thread...i want to get into medical school in the caribbean, ive been accepted to cmu and smu,(st. martinus university) but am getting scared about both of them as there is a lot of negativity for both schools...so basically i need advice- my overall gpa is 3.07 and major gpa (biology) is 2.8- and took my mcat without much preparation and only got a 17...do you think there is a chance auc or ross or sgu would accept me? or should i not apply, re take my mcat do better and then apply there? Please any advice would be appreciated.

  4. #4
    krissi is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syedh03 View Post
    hey , umm i dont really know how to make a new post- but i guess this has to do with the opening thread...i want to get into medical school in the caribbean, ive been accepted to cmu and smu,(st. martinus university) but am getting scared about both of them as there is a lot of negativity for both schools...so basically i need advice- my overall gpa is 3.07 and major gpa (biology) is 2.8- and took my mcat without much preparation and only got a 17...do you think there is a chance auc or ross or sgu would accept me? or should i not apply, re take my mcat do better and then apply there? Please any advice would be appreciated.
    If I were you I would try my best to get into one of the top 4 schools, even if it means you have to wait an extra semester. If you can’t get into one of them I would suggest AUA, MUA, Statia, Windsor, CMU, IAU.
    Do NOT go to St. Martinus, the school has a track record of closing down and from what I’ve heard they have no US rotations and very few students. Too much of a risk.
    Good luck

  5. #5
    syedh03 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krissi View Post
    If I were you I would try my best to get into one of the top 4 schools, even if it means you have to wait an extra semester. If you can’t get into one of them I would suggest AUA, MUA, Statia, Windsor, CMU, IAU.
    Do NOT go to St. Martinus, the school has a track record of closing down and from what I’ve heard they have no US rotations and very few students. Too much of a risk.
    Good luck
    thank you. do you think there is any chance one of the top three schools will take me where i stand now? and if not i think ill wait that extra semester...and cmu isn't bad then right?

  6. #6
    syedh03 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krissi View Post
    If I were you I would try my best to get into one of the top 4 schools, even if it means you have to wait an extra semester. If you canít get into one of them I would suggest AUA, MUA, Statia, Windsor, CMU, IAU.
    Do NOT go to St. Martinus, the school has a track record of closing down and from what Iíve heard they have no US rotations and very few students. Too much of a risk.
    Good luck
    thank you. do you think there is any chance one of the top three schools will take me where i stand now? and if not i think ill wait that extra semester...and cmu isn't bad then right?

  7. #7
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 6125 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,831
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by syedh03 View Post
    thank you. do you think there is any chance one of the top three schools will take me where i stand now? and if not i think ill wait that extra semester...and cmu isn't bad then right?
    LOL. It's nice to know you did your research on this topic /s.
    You definitely have to retake the MCAT and score at least a 24O to even be looked at for one of their pathway programs. CMU has a history of false advertisement. You basically went down to the barrel and have one of the worst two schools. Where none of them have any graduates, (SMU doesn't count as it just reopened 2 years ago with new ownership).

  8. #8
    cardiomegaly is offline Senior Member 547 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Closer to east coast then the west coast
    Posts
    581
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great list!
    Medicine is my lifeHidden Content . Step 1 [Hidden Content ] Step 2 CK [Hidden Content ] Step 2 CS [Hidden Content

  9. #9
    syedh03 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleave View Post
    LOL. It's nice to know you did your research on this topic /s.
    You definitely have to retake the MCAT and score at least a 24O to even be looked at for one of their pathway programs. CMU has a history of false advertisement. You basically went down to the barrel and have one of the worst two schools. Where none of them have any graduates, (SMU doesn't count as it just reopened 2 years ago with new ownership).
    lol darn- yea what surprised me most about cmu is that it didnt even ask for a physical...smu however has been more professional but i dont think i want to take any risk...I think i'll retake the mcat and apply to sgu and auc...unless there are schools you know of that are legitimate but don't require the mcat....i understand that my future is in my hands, how i do in class and perform on the step- but i dont want being in a terrible school to be my downfall.

  10. #10
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 6125 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,831
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by syedh03 View Post
    lol darn- yea what surprised me most about cmu is that it didnt even ask for a physical...smu however has been more professional but i dont think i want to take any risk...I think i'll retake the mcat and apply to sgu and auc...unless there are schools you know of that are legitimate but don't require the mcat....i understand that my future is in my hands, how i do in class and perform on the step- but i dont want being in a terrible school to be my downfall.
    I would just retake MCAT and only look at the California approved schools, and that's it. If you have to, then come back and ask for advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ranking of Caribbean Medical Schools
    By louiedog in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 08:52 AM
  2. An Unofficial Ranking of 6 Caribbean Medical Schools
    By Future MD | DM erutuF in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 04:44 PM
  3. Ranking Caribbean Schools
    By Showtime72 in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Site Meter