How to hunt for an apartment.
Options for searching:
- Newspapers - printed, or online such as milenio.com or vivastreet.com are options, but bad ones. In Mexico, advertising is not the universal norm, so they are probably are not a great deal, or that would already be rented.
- Forums such as here are good options, most students on here do not simply advertise an apartment, but a place with a package of stuff - often way over-priced. Also be aware that they are eager to leave, and are not usually willing to tell you anything bad about the place.
- The UAG school list. Not usually great options, but worth seeing and checking.
- Agencies - usually the same ones that sell houses, and management companies. Many options, but not likely many very close to the school. Also, do not expect a good deal.
- Local walks. This is the best way. You know where the place really is, and can see it. There will be signs, "Se Renta" with a number. The cell number is almost always the best way to call. It will be the number that begins with 044. However, you only need the 044 when calling from a Mexican landline. From your cell, bypass the 044 and dial the rest of the number.
- Friends. Most people do not realize that not all the students here go home to the USA during vacations. Make friends, offer to bribe them with bring something from the USA if needed. They can look, tell you what there is, and even put you in contact with the renter. Be resourceful.
"You do not truly understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein