Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    lapremed678 is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Deposit due while still waiting on response from top choice school

    Advertisements



    Hello all,

    I was recently accepted to AUA and my deposit is due in a couple of weeks. I was also just granted an interview at SGU (my top choice school) for next week. I am having a dilemma now. AUA refuses to give me an extension for payment of the deposit, but if I am accepted to SGU, I will surely turn down my AUA offer. In short, I don't want to waste money on this nonrefundable deposit to hold my seat at AUA just to end up turning it down for SGU if I am accepted. I also don't want to risk losing my seat at AUA in case I am denied at SGU. Do you think I should let SGU know about this so that they may possibly give me an expedited response? I am afraid doing such a thing may hurt my chances and I feel that asking them to give me a quick response is out of line and borderline disrespectful. I just don't know what to do because I am not in the financial position to waste money on a deposit for a school that I may not end up attending. Any advice?

  2. #2
    Anastomosis is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    396
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lapremed678 View Post
    Hello all,

    I was recently accepted to AUA and my deposit is due in a couple of weeks. I was also just granted an interview at SGU (my top choice school) for next week. I am having a dilemma now. AUA refuses to give me an extension for payment of the deposit, but if I am accepted to SGU, I will surely turn down my AUA offer. In short, I don't want to waste money on this nonrefundable deposit to hold my seat at AUA just to end up turning it down for SGU if I am accepted. I also don't want to risk losing my seat at AUA in case I am denied at SGU. Do you think I should let SGU know about this so that they may possibly give me an expedited response? I am afraid doing such a thing may hurt my chances and I feel that asking them to give me a quick response is out of line and borderline disrespectful. I just don't know what to do because I am not in the financial position to waste money on a deposit for a school that I may not end up attending. Any advice?
    How much is the AUA deposit? I'd just pay the AUA deposit, and plan on losing it if you get into SGU

  3. #3
    lapremed678 is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastomosis View Post
    How much is the AUA deposit? I'd just pay the AUA deposit, and plan on losing it if you get into SGU
    It's $1300 and I don't think I can afford to lose that amount of money. That's money that I can use to put towards my SGU deposit if I am accepted. This is my dilemma. But I did let SGU know and they said they are willing to try to expedite my decision. I hope they give me a decision in time.

  4. #4
    don1 is offline Senior Member 544 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,293
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    if you can not afford to lose $1300 you can't afford medical school. There are so many costs that come up and you will have no choice to pay. I was in a similar situation as you and I decided that paying it and potentially losing that money is the cost of getting medical training. I am now done medical school and residency.

    Quote Originally Posted by lapremed678 View Post
    It's $1300 and I don't think I can afford to lose that amount of money. That's money that I can use to put towards my SGU deposit if I am accepted. This is my dilemma. But I did let SGU know and they said they are willing to try to expedite my decision. I hope they give me a decision in time.

  5. #5
    lapremed678 is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don1 View Post
    if you can not afford to lose $1300 you can't afford medical school. There are so many costs that come up and you will have no choice to pay. I was in a similar situation as you and I decided that paying it and potentially losing that money is the cost of getting medical training. I am now done medical school and residency.
    I never said I couldn't afford it. I said I can't afford to lose it on a school that I might not even end up attending. Or maybe I should have said I'm not willing to waste that kind of money that can be put to better use elsewhere. The adcoms seemed to understand my point of view and were willing to expedite my decision for this reason. Also during medical school I will be taking out financial aid so I'm not sure how you decided that I can't afford medical school.

  6. #6
    don1 is offline Senior Member 544 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,293
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you said you can't afford to lose that amount of money. that is why I said that comment.

    Not too many people can afford to throw away money. The best scenario is to figure out a day to be offered admission so you don't have to pay the fee that you might lose. If you can't, if it were me I would pay the fee. There are so many situations during your medical career where you will have to pay money that you will feel to be a waste.

    Quote Originally Posted by lapremed678 View Post
    I never said I couldn't afford it. I said I can't afford to lose it on a school that I might not even end up attending. Or maybe I should have said I'm not willing to waste that kind of money that can be put to better use elsewhere. The adcoms seemed to understand my point of view and were willing to expedite my decision for this reason. Also during medical school I will be taking out financial aid so I'm not sure how you decided that I can't afford medical school.

Similar Threads

  1. No Response From Admin Here Re: School Official Status in School Forum
    By RobOman in forum The Suggestion Box & Technical Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 12:41 PM
  2. School Choice?
    By MDBee in forum Spartan Medical School
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
  3. School Choice?
    By MDBee in forum St. Martinus Medical School
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 08:03 AM
  4. Response to article on University of Tasmania School of Medi
    By ldahlenb in forum Australian Medical Schools
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 05:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •