Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is the attrition rate at SGU? Also what % in classes is required to pass?

  1. #1
    Oblivion424 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    What is the attrition rate at SGU? Also what % in classes is required to pass?

    Advertisements



    Saba, Ross and the like seem to have horrible attrition rates. What would you say is SGU? I heard profs actually tell people during their first classes people won't make it.

  2. #2
    medfly99 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    St George's has a higher stringency for acceptance, therefore fewer people
    didn't make the final cut, traditionally. I think it was supposed to be about 15% that
    didn't make it through, compared to 50% or whatever it was at Ross or Saba. They recently imposed a 75% requirement and taking classes over is not quite so simple as it used to be. (My understanding is they used to be considerably more lenient about that type of thing....)

  3. #3
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12686 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,047
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion424 View Post
    Saba, Ross and the like seem to have horrible attrition rates. What would you say is SGU? I heard profs actually tell people during their first classes people won't make it.
    Of course. They say that because it is the simple truth. It's probably intended to put the fear of God into some slacker-inclined students who might actually make it if they can bring themselves to focus and bust their butts... buuuut not everybody will. As medfly99 indicated, the higher the admission standards, the lower the chances of people failing out, but it still happens.

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Urology Resident; Clinical Research Fellow



  4. #4
    lotus360 is offline Newbie 514 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    15
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When I was there 2012-2016, our January class started with 800 students. Another 800 came in during the fall. Both classes were set to graduate and match at the same time. Only 800 matched last year. Not including how many were reapplying to match from the previous years. Do the match yourself. "Graduating" doesn't mean pooh pooh without a residency spot. When I was leading the island, the classes coming in were 1,000 students each for a total of 2,000 for the year. I'll be shocked if they can match half that.

    Quote Originally Posted by medfly99 View Post
    St George's has a higher stringency for acceptance, therefore fewer people
    didn't make the final cut, traditionally. I think it was supposed to be about 15% that
    didn't make it through, compared to 50% or whatever it was at Ross or Saba. They recently imposed a 75% requirement and taking classes over is not quite so simple as it used to be. (My understanding is they used to be considerably more lenient about that type of thing....)

    They've become more stringent because there's no lecture hall big enough on the island to fit the amount of students they've been accepting each year. They have the luxury to "reject" people now. They'll still accept you into their premed program and I hear they've even got a pre-premed program online to make even more money.
    Last edited by lotus360; 01-06-2017 at 07:44 PM.

  5. #5
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12686 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,047
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus360 View Post
    "Graduating" doesn't mean pooh pooh without a residency spot.
    Oh my goodness, yes. THIS.

    (However, unless we are referring to AA Milne's cartoon bear in a red t-shirt, I think the euphemism should be "poo poo" and not "pooh pooh." That is an auto-correct in the VMD system that has made me giggle for years now.)

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Urology Resident; Clinical Research Fellow



  6. #6
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 7200 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Honestly, if you are going to SGU now in 2017 with all the information available with difficulty matching, and primary care being encroached by mid-levels. You are tripping. As for MD with no residency being useless. It's pretty much true.

  7. #7
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12686 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,047
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleave View Post
    As for MD with no residency being useless. It's pretty much true.
    Plenty of foreign-trained MDs driving cabs or working scut jobs to make ends meet. Sad, but true.

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Urology Resident; Clinical Research Fellow



  8. #8
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 7200 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by devildoc8404 View Post
    Plenty of foreign-trained MDs driving cabs or working scut jobs to make ends meet. Sad, but true.
    Which is so weird, because freaking the insurance industry is filled with people with no medical background. People that decide prior authorizations, step therapy, quantity limit, coverage of treatment, and appeals are the ones with no medical background. A CPhT or a MA is super desirable in those fields. And I'm like... Why won't they hire MD's and JD's that apply to those positions, it's because most likely the MD will leave ASAP something better comes along. I'm like... An appeals analyst pulls in like 70k a year.... I'm pretty sure an unmatch MD will take that job. Pretty sure some burnt out MDs with residency will take that job also for steady 9-5. So I don't even know where this logic comes from. But whatever.

    Man one of these days I gotta write the saga on how I went on random job interviews... It was intense. Jobs ranging from air pollution specialists, environmental scientists, accountant (I don't even have accounting experience), IT, and so on before I landed in insurance. I was cramming like crazy since I know I have a 6 month window before my resume would like trash. Since it'll look like medicine is forcing me to leave, compared to other way around.

    EDIT: I also interview for some weird stuff like...Fungus inspector on trees. Kid you not. They are paying like $17 bucks a hr for people to inspect fungus on trees in my state.
    Last edited by thxleave; 01-11-2017 at 12:18 AM.
    devildoc8404 likes this.

  9. #9
    arcadil is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    43
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleave View Post
    Which is so weird, because freaking the insurance industry is filled with people with no medical background. People that decide prior authorizations, step therapy, quantity limit, coverage of treatment, and appeals are the ones with no medical background. A CPhT or a MA is super desirable in those fields. And I'm like... Why won't they hire MD's and JD's that apply to those positions, it's because most likely the MD will leave ASAP something better comes along. I'm like... An appeals analyst pulls in like 70k a year.... I'm pretty sure an unmatch MD will take that job. Pretty sure some burnt out MDs with residency will take that job also for steady 9-5. So I don't even know where this logic comes from. But whatever.

    Man one of these days I gotta write the saga on how I went on random job interviews... It was intense. Jobs ranging from air pollution specialists, environmental scientists, accountant (I don't even have accounting experience), IT, and so on before I landed in insurance. I was cramming like crazy since I know I have a 6 month window before my resume would like trash. Since it'll look like medicine is forcing me to leave, compared to other way around.

    EDIT: I also interview for some weird stuff like...Fungus inspector on trees. Kid you not. They are paying like $17 bucks a hr for people to inspect fungus on trees in my state.
    Hey, thxleave, would you mind telling more about this whole experience and what was the reasoning behind not applying etc., and especially - the subjective experience throughout the process.

  10. #10
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12686 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,047
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleave View Post
    Man one of these days I gotta write the saga on how I went on random job interviews... It was intense.
    Write it. Publish it. Star in the movie version. I will totally go on opening night!

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Urology Resident; Clinical Research Fellow



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MUA Attrition rate
    By suwanee in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 07:17 AM
  2. attrition rate?
    By maladdy85 in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 03:13 AM
  3. Attrition and USMLE Pass Rate
    By USIMG2008 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 05:56 PM
  4. AUC attrition, pass rate etc. i found the numbers
    By AUCMD2006 in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 09:23 AM
  5. attrition rate at SGU
    By jakim81 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •