Sponsored Links
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 331
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dismissed from the SGU for failing a class by 1 point

  1. #1
    MD-to-be is offline Junior Member 518 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    83
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Dismissed from SGU for failing a class by 1 point

    .................................................. .....................

    accepted back. and now doing the things i should have been doing prior.
    Last edited by MD-to-be; 01-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    SurgGMC likes this.

  2. #281
    TheSamrat is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    189
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    Listen guys, I've done my research over the past few months. What's bugging me is not the hard-work that I need to invest, but the RESULTS I will have after putting in so much work. SGU is the type of school where one can work so hard in life, and still end up a making babiesin beggar (or worse jailed for lack of payment on $200000+ loans).

    I've spoken to a number of students at SGU, conducted statistical analysis of the probability that SGU students will land residencies in the next 4-5 years (which incorporates the published 84% pass rate). Need I remind you that it is quite easy to pass the USMLE, but SGU does NOT mention what their school MEDIAN is on the USMLE, nor are these results available. THIS IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT to land a residency.

    I know of two students who are really close to me. Here is what the told me:

    1) A group of students attempted to file a lawsuit against St. George because one of their exams was seriously UNFAIR and tested material NOT covered in the course (Micro).

    2) A big chunk of students (closer to 45%) of students in her term deceled, failed courses or withdrew due to various reasons (dengue fever disease, course load, professor tactics, etc).

    3) A significant portion of SGU Canadians have returned to Canada to pursue masters degrees because they were unable to secure a residency in the US or Canada.

    4) A large portion of students succumbed to Dengue Fever that jeopardized their chances to doing well in the program. The friend i spoke with had a lover who lived with her and helped her through her sickness at Grenada (lasted for 1 week).

    Based on my scientific analysis, it appears that in order to succeed at SGU, one MUST have the following:

    1) Masters degree in a thorough scientific discipline with heavy course load.

    or

    2) An undergraduate degree with VERY DIFFICULT course loads and a high GPA (3.7+)

    3) Girlfriend/Boyfriend/lover or preferrably a spouse to release tension during the program (trust me, I've done research on this lol) and assist with apartment chores or during sickness.

    If you don't believe me, type in xxxx in facebook and check out the crazy beach party/bar photos she's involved with at Grenada. It's insane what SGU students do after exams to "unwind." Currently, xxx is doing clinical rotations so clearly she passed through.

    4) Rich, unselfish parents who have stable careers and earn in excess of $80000/yr in pre-tax income. You will need a pooh pooh load of money to finance this beast for 4+ years. (THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE A LINE OF CREDIT- YOU NEED SOMEONE TO PAY INTEREST ON LINES OF CREDIT- SOMEONE STABLE!!!)

    5) A well-built body (applies to both girls and boys). If your BMI is less than 20, forget about doing well. The mosquitos alone will kill you, not to mention the stress that will burn your fat to the bone as you sleep.

    My BMI recently slipped to 18.5 because of all the friggin stress I had in deciding whether to go to SGU or not. God, the last few months have been hell frozen over.

    6). Experience living abroad or in third-world countries alone and with strangers.

    7) And last, but not least, faith. Without the one true Almighty God, you will surely fail this program, and this applies to both religious and atheists alike. Determination will only take you so far.

    Even Bill Gates needed God to become Rich: if you don't believe me, read the book "Outliers."

    And now, my friends, I salute you farewell. I wish all of you the best in your endeavors, and whereever SGU or whatever you're doing takes you, know this: God will always guide those whom he wills on the straight path to salvation and success. Never inflict unnecessary hardship (i.e. SGU) upon yourself for material or worldly gain: there will always be a door open for you to succeed in ways that you never thought imaginable.

    God Bless and may we all succeed in the truest sense of the word.
    hilarious! you've done statistical analysis? what?

    This post shows how ill-informed you've been. You do not need to come from the hardest undergrad program or a masters or any other ..... that you mentioned. All you need is the motivation to work hard/smart in medicine.

    If the OP's situation or something similar startles someone...they dont' deserve to be in med school (or for that matter, any graduate programs). SGU prepares students more than adequately enough to do well on USMLE or whatever comes ahead. If the students slack off...or fail to understand the "rules", its their problem. If you believe in the garbage your SGU "friends" told you, thats your problem.

  3. #282
    kananaskis_girl's Avatar
    kananaskis_girl is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    at the hospital.....
    Posts
    12,811
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    Listen guys, I've done my research over the past few months. What's bugging me is not the hard-work that I need to invest, but the RESULTS I will have after putting in so much work. SGU is the type of school where one can work so hard in life, and still end up a making babiesin beggar (or worse jailed for lack of payment on $200000+ loans).

    I've spoken to a number of students at SGU, conducted statistical analysis of the probability that SGU students will land residencies in the next 4-5 years (which incorporates the published 84% pass rate). Need I remind you that it is quite easy to pass the USMLE, but SGU does NOT mention what their school MEDIAN is on the USMLE, nor are these results available. THIS IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT to land a residency.
    Let's see it....I want to see where you've received your info and know which tests you've performed that will give you an accurate analysis of where the majority of SGU students wind up. And this is coming from someone who has advanced stats here, so it better be good.

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    I know of two students who are really close to me. Here is what the told me:

    1) A group of students attempted to file a lawsuit against St. George because one of their exams was seriously UNFAIR and tested material NOT covered in the course (Micro).
    been already beaten to death....you received a skewed interpretation of what happened, probably from a student that failed becuase they weren't prepared for the exam.

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    2) A big chunk of students (closer to 45%) of students in her term deceled, failed courses or withdrew due to various reasons (dengue fever disease, course load, professor tactics, etc).
    laughable....give me the numbers. How do you know it's 45%? What was the size of the entering class at the beginning of the term and then I want a breakdown (no names) of the numbers of people who decelled, got sick, failed, etc....

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    3) A significant portion of SGU Canadians have returned to Canada to pursue masters degrees because they were unable to secure a residency in the US or Canada.
    "significant portion"?? what numbers are you using here? How many Canadians are in each graduating class? How many of them applied for residency? And then how many of them do not secure residency positions after the application procedure? I can tell you in my class it was ONE out of just over 50, and yes, I know every single Canadian in my class.

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    4) A large portion of students succumbed to Dengue Fever that jeopardized their chances to doing well in the program. The friend i spoke with had a lover who lived with her and helped her through her sickness at Grenada (lasted for 1 week).
    uh, missing one week of class is NOT a reason to do poorly in school....

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    Based on my scientific analysis, it appears that in order to succeed at SGU, one MUST have the following:.
    Once again, here's this non-present "scientific analysis"....lets call it what it really is...your OPINION because you certainly don't have any numbers whatsoever to back it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    1) Masters degree in a thorough scientific discipline with heavy course load.

    or

    2) An undergraduate degree with VERY DIFFICULT course loads and a high GPA (3.7+)
    The majority of people in my graduating class had neither of these...hence, why they were at SGU.

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    3) Girlfriend/Boyfriend/lover or preferrably a spouse to release tension during the program (trust me, I've done research on this lol) and assist with apartment chores or during sickness. .
    don't need a gf/bf to release tension, just pick up a one-nighter at Banana's if you want. Apartment chores? How messy do you plan on being? And really, how many times do you plan on getting sick down there? Realistically, I got sick down there the same amount of times I would get sick in Alberta during undergrad.

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    If you don't believe me, type in xxxx in facebook and check out the crazy beach party/bar photos she's involved with at Grenada. It's insane what SGU students do after exams to "unwind." Currently, xxx is doing clinical rotations so clearly she passed through..
    uh, I know said student personally, so what if she unwound how she wanted to after exams were done? she studied hard during the rest of the time and did well....

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    4) Rich, unselfish parents who have stable careers and earn in excess of $80000/yr in pre-tax income. You will need a pooh pooh load of money to finance this beast for 4+ years. (THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE A LINE OF CREDIT- YOU NEED SOMEONE TO PAY INTEREST ON LINES OF CREDIT- SOMEONE STABLE!!!)
    oh boo, no money bags? how do you think everyone else is doing it?

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    5) A well-built body (applies to both girls and boys). If your BMI is less than 20, forget about doing well. The mosquitos alone will kill you, not to mention the stress that will burn your fat to the bone as you sleep.

    My BMI recently slipped to 18.5 because of all the friggin stress I had in deciding whether to go to SGU or not. God, the last few months have been hell frozen over.
    sounds like if you stress out this much over whether to go or not, you made the right decision. Last thing we need is another doctor who freaks out over the tiniest of details while a patient is dying. Perhaps a less stressful profession then? Maybe massage therapy? Or do the low lights and aromatic oils take too much of a toll on your BMI as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    6). Experience living abroad or in third-world countries alone and with strangers.
    Didn't have either....only child, lived alone during UG and never lived in a third world country (btw, GND isn't third world)

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    7) And last, but not least, faith. Without the one true Almighty God, you will surely fail this program, and this applies to both religious and atheists alike. Determination will only take you so far.
    agnostic...and very determined thank you very much.

    Quote Originally Posted by believer128 View Post
    Never inflict unnecessary hardship (i.e. SGU) upon yourself for material or worldly gain: there will always be a door open for you to succeed in ways that you never thought imaginable.
    uh, the majority of us did NOT come to SGU for material or worldly gain....maybe this is your one biggest mistake. If you truly wanted to become a doctor, you would be down in Grenada as we speak. I sure didn't go into medicine for prestige or money...
    SGU Forum Momma Hidden Content

    That's Doctor Evil to you....

  4. #283
    kananaskis_girl's Avatar
    kananaskis_girl is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    at the hospital.....
    Posts
    12,811
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prash P View Post
    The Goddess has been pleased, no need to offer a sacrifice then.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimchick View Post
    You should still offer a sacrifice if you want to remain on kgirl's good side
    Quote Originally Posted by Prash P View Post
    Kinky indeed
    LOL!!! you have no idea....well, maybe swim has an idea
    SGU Forum Momma Hidden Content

    That's Doctor Evil to you....

  5. #284
    Prash P's Avatar
    Prash P is offline Senior Member 541 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South London (Surrey), UK
    Posts
    1,093
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kananaskis_girl View Post
    LOL!!! you have no idea....well, maybe swim has an idea

  6. #285
    AUCMD2013 is offline Senior Member 527 points
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    597
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I didn't mean to attack you. Just saying that the guy has no idea what he wants to do with his life and all you do is praise SGU how magical it is. It's not going to work wonders. The guy is scared of starting and with that attitude, anywhere he goes, chances are he will NOT succeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prash P View Post
    Ok what did I say to deserve all that? SGU is my university so obviously whatever I say is extremely biased what did you expect me to say?


    Plus I'm on home turf. It's not like I went onto the Ross forum and bragged there.
    American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine - PGY-1 Categorical Internal Medicine

    Basic Sciences [X] Step 1 [X] Step 2 CS [X] Step 2 CK [X] Cores [X] Electives [X] Match [X] M.D. Diploma [X] Step 3 [Hidden Content ] IM Residency [Hidden Content ] Attending []

  7. #286
    MD-to-be is offline Junior Member 518 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    83
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    THANK YOU SGU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR ACCEPTING OUR APPEALS!!!!!!!

    SGU IS WORTH ALL THE STRUGGLE

    am so happy i'll be attending Neuroscience classes again!!!!! YAY!!!!!

    and to work with my advisor, Tutoring sessions, DES, Discussion groups, EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

  8. #287
    parthenon89 is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    56
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    dude that is awesome!!!!

    haha that prolly feels even better than when you were accepted!

    in any case, good luck man, and make sure you kick *** next this time around.

  9. #288
    Maeby is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've read all 29 pages and what jumped out at me (besides the BMI/significant other/dengue/rich parents requirements one poster listed so hilariously) was the OP's promise to the Dean that, if given the chance to retake neuro, he/she would get a B. THAT floored me. And I think that highlights why the OP is in this situation. If I can offer one piece of advice, it is for the OP to switch gears in terms of his/her thinking. If you are placed on academic probation at the end of term 1 and then fail a class in term 2, you have to shoot for an A in the class you failed. Not just to impress the dean, but because that's just how you should be thinking. You fail neuro? Then when you retake it, you have to learn it so well you can teach it by the final. Your brain shouldn't go, "Well, I'm only taking the one class and I only need a B in it, so I should use this time to explore the island..." or something like that. You cannot hold yourself to such a low standard. You have to expect more from yourself. This isn't undergrad where you can pick and choose your classes to suit your interests and skills. If a subject doesn't come easy to you, then you have to work harder/study smarter. If a subject does come easy to you, make sure you do well in it. Pathology is coming up, and while I loved that class probably more than any I have taken at SGU, I also worked harder at it than any other. And you actually do end up needing information from your first year to apply to path (and, later, pathophys), so you don't start year two with a clean slate.

    I really do wish you the best, and a hearty congratulations for your appeal being accepted. Now, go wipe the floor with neuroscience!

  10. #289
    MD-to-be is offline Junior Member 518 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    83
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thank you SGU, for giving us another chance

    SGU accepted our appeals!!!!!!! am so happy!

    SGU is worth ALL the struggle

    Classes are tough, but thats in every med school, otherwise it wouldn't be called med school.

    1. Am working with my advisor on a weekly basis

    2. DES, 2 or more in a week
    3. Discussion groups (oh you have no idea!)

    aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh............. so happy to be going back to SGU!!!!!!!

  11. #290
    ZnS3104ever is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    576
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctYMES View Post
    SGU accepted our appeals!!!!!!! am so happy!

    SGU is worth ALL the struggle

    Classes are tough, but thats in every med school, otherwise it wouldn't be called med school.

    1. Am working with my advisor on a weekly basis

    2. DES, 2 or more in a week
    3. Discussion groups (oh you have no idea!)

    aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh............. so happy to be going back to SGU!!!!!!!
    Congrats. Nice to hear. Wish you best of luck with the rest of the terms and your future. Work hard!
    SGU Students.

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. information please on failing a class
    By whatsnext in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
  2. Question about failing a class
    By Anastomosis in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
  3. Ross's policy on failing a class
    By Anastomosis in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 09:27 PM
  4. Wondering about the fall class size at this point
    By angermngment in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 05:02 PM
  5. failing one class means re-doing the whole semester?
    By Emdiz in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 01:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Site Meter