So, I'm one of the unlucky students who has been literally moved from state to state to finish my clinical rotations. By the end of this year, I'll have been to 4 different hospitals in Maryland, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut! And it turns out that I'll have to go to 2 new ones next year, just to finish my cores! And that's not even the least of my problems. It turns out that there is no-ACGME approved surgery rotation that is available for me in 2011 until May, and even that isn't confirmed. And the last rotation that the school has confirmed for me ends the first week of February. So far I already have had 9 weeks of bridge time between my rotations. As you can imagine, I'm not too pleased with this unplanned break, especially since I've been asking about availability since September of this year!
So, these are my questions:
(1) There is one AOA-approved surgery spot available during the first week of March. Should I go for this spot? Is it advisable considering I'm a Canadian, and plan to practice in Canada? I know I should go straight for the source, but I don't know who the source should be in this case.
(2) If I decide to wait it out until May, I know I can complete some electives during that time. Should I also try and write the Step 2 CK without having completed surgery? Is this completely unadvisable? I know the Step 2 CS can be done. Not sure about the Step 2 CK. Or should I save the CK for August, and have the score come in after the first date for ERAS?
Thanks so much for all your help.