My rant can lead to an ugly debate..but I am in a sticky mess so I must ask..
I m currently in my final semester completing a Hon Bsc at UofT. Science GPA will be 3.6. Current years gpa is 4.0.If I actually study very well in the summer and take the mcat..I know I can get 33+ easily..based on practice tests.
I have been accepted to ROSS AND SABA for fall 2010,but Iam not even considering Ross because SABA is better for canadians, so Iíve heard.
Yes I was ecstatic that I got into Saba for sept 2010...but after learning how hard this years match was and how it will only deteriorate till 2014..I started having second thoughts...Even people with good scores/stats/LORs had to struggle to match and some did not even match and had to scramble..even with good stats...stats that would have worked a few years ago... even from a caribbean school. and icing on the cake is that we know matching back in Canada is even more harder.
Yes I know there were some exceptions..such as plastic surgery at UofTetc..but these are rare...simply knowing that there was no plastic surgery EVER before this should be sufficient to understand how rare.
My ultimate goal is to match into family medicine/Internal medicine at the University of Toronto..no where else. Yes its specific I know, but I want to come straight home (toronto,ON) after 4 years of med school.
So even after acceptance to these 2 med schools, my initial happiness seemed to die down .I was so close to even finalizing a loan for saba!.
Any thought anyone...should I still be feeling proud/happy that I got into saba...or should I go through the applications again (redo mcat and go to US) and apply to low tier MD and DO schools in the states (and wait another year).
I also got in york and UofT for MPH/MHsc...so I could use the year with that while waiting for the md/do applications to open up.
ANY INPUT from current/past Caribbean students is appreciated. Hell ,thoughts even from on-shore med students who know something on the issue is appreciated.
In any case...my co-signer for loans is leaving in a few weeks....so I have only so much time to decide and secure a loan if I decide to go to SABA.