Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66
  1. #1
    Mike77 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    272
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    why to not just apply to saba! Good read for future applicants!

    Advertisements
    Our members don't see this ad
    I just had an epipheny! I applied to saba about 6 months ago, with sept 08 as my first choice, but i was very intent on going here and didn't apply to any other schools (no MCAT limited me a lot). I was told that i'd be put on the waitlist for sepetmeber, depending on how the next few interivews went to fill up september. This confused me because since i applied before these people, theoretically I should be higher up on the waitlist. Also, I have a very competitive application, so that wasn't it.

    It just suddenly dawned on me. MOST students apply to a bunch of schools, and if they are accepted at a few, and have to make a decision. By having no other option, I may have gotten shafted to January thus losing my 2012 match! While if a student was only on the waitlist for september at saba, but accepted at say Ross or SGU for september, they would say 'screw saba' and go to a school that graduated them a year earlier.

    Ah well,such is life! Just thought that i'd share this advice for future students applying. If you're accepted at a school of similar quality, you have way more leverage.

    I'm pissed off at the idea of someone applying 4 months after me and taking my september spot just because they spent another 100 bucks and applied to ROSS or something.

    Oh well, lesson learned!


    There is of course a chance that my theory is wrong, and that there may be students that just have a better application that are given a higher priority... but with a >3.8gpa, tons of volunteer experience, LOTS of research experience, and a VERY good interview, I doubt that there is a legion of applicants significantly more competative than mine.

  2. #2
    JoeBoogie is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I agree. I was thinking the same thing. I applied before finishing my prereqs and have been told to take the MCAT. My GPA is high for SABA. 3.5/4.0 Just need O Chem. will be done in august.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    259
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    2012 or 2013 whats the difference.....Youd actually rather go to Ross or SGU and owe an extra 200k to make the 2012 match. In the scheme of things that seems Really myopic to me.
    "Don't get your Golgi in a complex..."

  4. #4
    CANKID is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    68
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Keep in mind that because Saba is an IMS and that many accepted ppl will back out last minute and those that are accepted (and undecided) to other schools might decide to go to those schools instead, which will also open up spots at Saba. Keep your fingers crossed. If you're on the waiting list you still have a great chance of getting in, IMO.

  5. #5
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11602 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11,959
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    This confused me because since i applied before these people, theoretically I should be higher up on the waitlist. Also, I have a very competitive application, so that wasn't it.

    med school acceptances are not 1st come 1st serve. And while you may think your application is competitive, Saba may not (especially since they said they needed to wait to see how the other interviews go....

    while the MCAT isn't required by Saba, i would imagine that having a score would make a candidate more competitive than one that does not...

    also having an acceptance to another school can make you attractive to a school that is still deciding about you...
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Fellow
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  6. #6
    Mike77 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    272
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderunner View Post
    2012 or 2013 whats the difference.....Youd actually rather go to Ross or SGU and owe an extra 200k to make the 2012 match. In the scheme of things that seems Really myopic to me.

    That's not the point... I am optomistic and will spend the extra time studying my *** off to destroy the USMLE, or possibly even do some research to get an extra publication (i know that certain residencies really emphasize research) or two. I'm not saying that i'd GO to these schools by any means just to start on time, i mean i only applied to saba for a reason you know!

    I am writing this so that people should be aware that, besides the other advantages of not putting all of your eggs in one basket, there is the extra leverage you have on getting the semester of your choice.

    Cankid, i'm sure that there's a good chance i'll get in. However, I don't like the fact that I was kinda put on the backburner just for that reason. I dont think its fair that i'm not going to know until like 6 weeks before the term starts, as this is an enourmous factor in what I'm going to be doing in this period. (e.g Ive been looking for some employment, and if i was going in september my choice of jobs would be much different then if I was here for an extra few months. Also, I was planning on doing some traveling, but it's hard to plan with such a big difference in time periods!

  7. #7
    Mike77 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    272
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rokshana View Post
    med school acceptances are not 1st come 1st serve. And while you may think your application is competitive, Saba may not (especially since they said they needed to wait to see how the other interviews go....

    while the MCAT isn't required by Saba, i would imagine that having a score would make a candidate more competitive than one that does not...

    also having an acceptance to another school can make you attractive to a school that is still deciding about you...
    Those are all very valid points, but i was thinking that considering the rolling admission, that if you make their requirements, it IS first come first serve. Now that they're starting to fill up their classes, they might follow more of a traditional route.

    I did say that this was an alternative, but when I read all these people with 3.0 gpas with 7-9 mcat scores getting in, I don't think that it really compares to a 3.82 cumulative GPA (3.91 last 2 years). It's not like my application was weak in any one area as well. I did explain that i didn't write my mcat because i was originally planning on applying for next year, but oh well.

    I'm just saying that it's more likely due to the first reason i explained, then the second. Know what I mean?

  8. #8
    Scott1981's Avatar
    Scott1981 is offline Super Moderator 10494 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,683
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    Those are all very valid points, but i was thinking that considering the rolling admission, that if you make their requirements, it IS first come first serve. Now that they're starting to fill up their classes, they might follow more of a traditional route.

    I did say that this was an alternative, but when I read all these people with 3.0 gpas with 7-9 mcat scores getting in, I don't think that it really compares to a 3.82 cumulative GPA (3.91 last 2 years). It's not like my application was weak in any one area as well. I did explain that i didn't write my mcat because i was originally planning on applying for next year, but oh well.

    I'm just saying that it's more likely due to the first reason i explained, then the second. Know what I mean?
    why dont you at least attempt the mcat.... and if you get a 30.... you should have no problem being at the minimum competitive in a us school.
    Board Certified
    Internal Medicine

    VMD Moderator

  9. #9
    stephew is offline Moderator Guru 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21,867
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    more to the point, why aren't you applying to a us school? if its an mcat issue, id seriously consider trying again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    with a >3.8gpa, tons of volunteer experience, LOTS of research experience, and a VERY good interview, I doubt that there is a legion of applicants significantly more competative than mine.
    Steph
    If you get a warning, put on yer manpants and stop whining about it.

  10. #10
    covarubious's Avatar
    covarubious is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    341
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    the major issue for those of us with high gpas (canadians anyway) is price...

    Quote Originally Posted by stephew View Post
    more to the point, why aren't you applying to a us school? if its an mcat issue, id seriously consider trying again.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2009-10 Emergency Medicine Applicants...please read
    By goodadvice911 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
  2. WHen do most applicants usually apply for August 2007 class?
    By Roxy123 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 02:14 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 02:50 PM
  4. '06 Applicants - Please apply by NOV 18
    By Xavier Admissions in forum Xavier University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 12:07 PM
  5. Future students read this
    By drnick07 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 10:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Site Meter