First of all let me just say that I am a former student who had an SGA (Student Government Association) postion and now am in a US Medical School. So ... I have no bitter feelings towards them at all. In fact I hope they fix any issues they have at the school atou present.
Now the there are several truths about Ross University that EVERYONE SHOULD BE AWARE OF ...
1) They have HAD a good reputation in the past, but their last class to take STEP 1 had about 46% pass rate. It used to be in the high 80's. Oh and of course they are not releasing this info yet - they have to spin it. How do I know? You have to know people in administration.
2) They recently as in the past semester failed the following numbers
1ST SEMESTER = 93 Fails 20 Withdrawls (Original class of 318)
2ND SEMESTER = 54 Fails (this usually is around 5)
3RD SEMESTER = 76 Fails (typical)
4RTH SEMESTER = 68 Fails (usually 10)
By the way the students were given their reports with just their final grades ... they were not given their scores on their shelf exams or their final just the course grade. And yes you fail 1 class you repeat ALL. BUT IF YOU FAIL 2 you subject for dismissal. You have to appear before a committee of 10 or so professors and state your case. THIS IS TRUE FOR ANY SEMESTER!
3) At ROSS they have this great that if your GPA by 4rth semester is below 2.9 you take a comprehensive shelf exam (which is rigged) CBT just like the STEP I. If you pass you go on to the 5th Semester in Miami otherwise back at ROSS for BMSI (Princeton Review) This past semester
5TH SEMESTER SHELF PASS = 6 (OUT OF 66)
4) WHY YOU ASK? Its obvious ROSS is trying to raise their standards. However. If thats the case why has MEDPREP (for those that don't know ... if you apply to ROSS for the 1st semester and don't get in they ask you to take med prep -- waste of time pre med classes -- which used to take a semester and was on the island giving students time to adjust to the island) moved to Miami and will be a year long course soon. Oh and by the way the rooms used to house med prep students (which used to number under 70 and is longer a guarantee that you will get into first semester and the class size is soon to be enlarged) is being used for a video feed for THE CURRENT 1ST SEMESTER because the 1ST SEMESTER CLASS ROOM WHICH SEATS OVER 340 STUDENTS IS FULL. -- THIS IS NOT RAISING STANDARDS PEOPLE. Its called economics.
5) In my previous 5 semesters at ROSS ... power outages and all the other crazy island rumors -- YEAH they were true -- not rumors.
6) The rumor about the girl getting sexually assaulted by a ROSS security guard --> yeah thats true too. A straigh A student during their final missed a bubble and tried to correct the exam but ran out of time and was told tough luck. AND PROBABLY THE WORST -- display during this past semesters GROSS ANATOMY LAB EXAMS students take the exam in sections of 7 and if pins were moved or removed they were told, "The problem is with you all not us. We did nothing wrong." (and then 50 people failed 2nd semester mainly in anatomy).
7) The only place near campus to buy american products ($4.00 for a ball point pen, $15.00 for a binder -- US) yeah its true.
8) DO THEY HAVE GOOD teachers? YES! Some of the best ... do they teach? Thats more of what you make of it.
9) Is ROSS developing? YES. Is it modernizing? Yes. But with a student population of over 1000 they have less than 100 PC's for student use on campus. You NEED A LAPTOP. They have wireless.
10) The bathrooms? DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED. Yet THE ADMIN bathrooms are nice. hmmmm.
11) BOTTOM IS ROSS A GOOD SCHOOL? Yes, if you can avoid all of these problems and make it out unscathed ... and people do. there over 100 people moving on the clinicals good for them ... the students are nice and helpful. BUT BEWARE! Hey this is the truth.
12) IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME GO TO THE ISLAND ... don't just ask someone ... if you don't believe what I said about future events ... just wait and see
13) I guess I can afford to say these things I used ROSS to start my medical career and transferred to a US school ("Go Catz"). But I still keep my ear to the ground and will let you all know if I find anything.