Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Post Match - Any one received any letters from programs asking why u didn't rank them

  1. #1
    kriswan is offline Junior Member 517 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    35
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Post Match - Any one received any letters from programs asking why u didn't rank them

    Advertisements



    Wow, I just got back from an awesome trip. Came back with 5 emails and 2 letters from programs that I didn't match. This is what they asked of me:

    1. What influenced your last decision on ranking us last?
    2. Was it the location, our people, facility, our program?
    3. How can we improve ourselves so we can get more qualified candidates like you for next year's season?
    4. What don't you like about our program?

    *** Should I respond back or just ignore it? So does that mean that I would have matched at those 7 places? LOL


    ** THE BEST ADVICE FOR INTERVIEW****

    TELL EVERY PROGRAM YOU WILL RANK THEM NUMBER #1 LOL HAHAH. IT WORKED FOR ME!!! AT THE END, ITS YOU THAT HAVE THE UPPER HAND.


    GOOD LUCK!

  2. #2
    jcu's Avatar
    jcu
    jcu is offline Senior Member 7164 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,371
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are these automated post match surveys or are these exclusively addressed to you? Program directors aren't allowed to see where you ranked them, just where you ended up. I'll be honest with you - if I was a PD and you told me you were ranking my program #1 and you didn't I'd be pretty pissed. You may have already burned these bridges, so not responding may not hurt. I personally wouldn't recommend telling any program they were your #1 on the ROL unless they truly were because it may come back to bite you in the behind. The medical community is a lot smaller than you think.
    rokshana and kananaskis_girl like this.
    Peds PGY-1

  3. #3
    kriswan is offline Junior Member 517 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    35
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    jcu,

    Personally, I think its okay to bluff them. Because they'll do the same back to you. They tell u they like you and that you're their top candidate.. BAMM! at the end they don't even rank u. haha. Its part of the game. I'm not sure if its automated post match survey or not but it was addressed to me.

  4. #4
    jcu's Avatar
    jcu
    jcu is offline Senior Member 7164 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,371
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, but you're forgetting one key point. A PD has the power to destroy your career before it begins if s/he chooses. An applicant on the other hand can't do a single thing if he was showered with promises of being ranked. You might not think it happens, but it does - especially in more competitive fields. Just be careful what you say and who you say it you.
    Peds PGY-1

  5. #5
    Anastomosis is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    391
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kriswan View Post

    TELL EVERY PROGRAM YOU WILL RANK THEM NUMBER #1 LOL HAHAH. IT WORKED FOR ME!!! AT THE END, ITS YOU THAT HAVE THE UPPER HAND.


    GOOD LUCK!
    I TOTALLY agree with that statement, especially now that prematches are gone. To all the future students going through the match, lie like you never lied before, and learn how to fake interest, because in the end, it is the applicant that will suffer most, and not the program. Before, I was leary of saying every program was #1, because there were a lot that prematch. Now there are none. This cycle, I spent $500 on a second look, on a program which I ranked #9. It definately worked because they emailed me right before saying that they really liked me, and that my second look really helped, and wished to see me next year. Thats' exactly what I wanted, a backup program. Trust me.... you do not want to go unmatched.

  6. #6
    Anastomosis is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    391
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcu View Post
    Program directors aren't allowed to see where you ranked them, just where you ended up.
    No.. but if they went lower than you on their rank list, and didn't get you, it means you didn't rank them high enough, and the program knows.

  7. #7
    soniaa's Avatar
    soniaa is offline Senior Member 689 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    840
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kriswan View Post
    Wow, I just got back from an awesome trip. Came back with 5 emails and 2 letters from programs that I didn't match. This is what they asked of me:

    1. What influenced your last decision on ranking us last?
    2. Was it the location, our people, facility, our program?
    3. How can we improve ourselves so we can get more qualified candidates like you for next year's season?
    4. What don't you like about our program?

    *** Should I respond back or just ignore it? So does that mean that I would have matched at those 7 places? LOL


    ** THE BEST ADVICE FOR INTERVIEW****

    TELL EVERY PROGRAM YOU WILL RANK THEM NUMBER #1 LOL HAHAH. IT WORKED FOR ME!!! AT THE END, ITS YOU THAT HAVE THE UPPER HAND.


    GOOD LUCK!
    Hay kris, nice to hear from you, did you get it in NY or IL. also FM or IM, what you matched ??
    Step 1 : 3rd Attempt 75/189-----Step 2 : 1st Attempt 255 --- CS- Passed -----Step 3: 79

    PGY-1
    Internal Medicine

  8. #8
    jcu's Avatar
    jcu
    jcu is offline Senior Member 7164 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,371
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastomosis View Post
    No.. but if they went lower than you on their rank list, and didn't get you, it means you didn't rank them high enough, and the program knows.
    Thanks, but you're stating the obvious. Any program that isn't your no. 1 could theoretically be your no. 2 or your no. 12 and the program wouldn't know the difference - that's my point. And are you seriously recommending that prospective applicants spend hundreds of dollars on second looks just to convince programs they're being ranked first?
    Peds PGY-1

  9. #9
    Anastomosis is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    391
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcu View Post
    And are you seriously recommending that prospective applicants spend hundreds of dollars on second looks just to convince programs they're being ranked first?
    Yes I do if you can do it. I had 13 interviews, but there was only one program that was truly genuine about their second looks, and that I knew a second look from there would mean something. Not all places, a second look will help, but there are those that you know will help. Once again... you do not want to go unmatched. You spent so much time and effort, don't go cheap now.
    But then again, if you feel you are a good candidate, and have no worries, then don't worry about it. Every year, there are stories of people having 10+ interviews, and still not matching. I know its rare... but just do what you can to make sure its not you.

  10. #10
    soniaa's Avatar
    soniaa is offline Senior Member 689 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    840
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastomosis View Post
    Yes I do if you can do it. I had 13 interviews, but there was only one program that was truly genuine about their second looks, and that I knew a second look from there would mean something. Not all places, a second look will help, but there are those that you know will help. Once again... you do not want to go unmatched. You spent so much time and effort, don't go cheap now.
    But then again, if you feel you are a good candidate, and have no worries, then don't worry about it. Every year, there are stories of people having 10+ interviews, and still not matching. I know its rare... but just do what you can to make sure its not you.
    I know this one dude from my class, 8 IM and 8 Surgery. He went unmatched, did not match in SOAP also.

    He was told to come for a second look at two programs went, they offered him a prematch which he did not accept.

    I dont know. Hes clinically depressed as of now.

    I am for real when I say clinically depressed.

    He only wants IM or Surgery.
    Step 1 : 3rd Attempt 75/189-----Step 2 : 1st Attempt 255 --- CS- Passed -----Step 3: 79

    PGY-1
    Internal Medicine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please, rank these programs? Pediatrics
    By oscaro_10 in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 02:35 PM
  2. rank this programs
    By vai in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM
  3. Can somebody rank these Paediatrics programs
    By mmg in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 06:08 PM
  4. can any body please rank these programs.........?
    By chaithanya in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 03:07 PM
  5. Please rank these programs
    By fabio in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Site Meter