Last night we went over the list of things everyone is bringing to thanksgiving dinner. I was amused at how insistent people can be about certain foods being required for an official thanksgiving dinner. Here are my top 5 foods necessary for turkey day dinner to be official.
1. Turkey... obviously. However, I prefer mine deep fried in peanut oil. I know, not the healthiest, but then again, who is really aiming for healthy on thanksgiving.
2. Stand-alone mashed potatoes - they are called that because they need nothing else to be delicious. Gravy is optional, since these potatoes are prepared with generous amounts of cream, butter, and seasoning. The surgeon general should probably put a warning label on this.
3. Spiral-cut ham - With or without the honey glaze, spiral-cut ham is one of my favorites.
4. Sweet potato souffle - candied yams topped with a graham crust and sprinkled with nuts. No calories... honest.
5. Stuffing - nothing beats traditional stuffing... except traditional stuffing reheated 5 hours later with turkey and gravy.
Although not a food item, thanksgiving would not be complete without hours of football, both on TV and at the local park.