Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Anatomy on MCAT

  1. #1
    BlueEyedDevil65 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Anatomy on MCAT

    Advertisements



    I am currently studding for the MCAT with Kaplan. They dedicate entire chapters to skeletal and muscle systems, Digestion, Respiration, Circulation, and Homeostasis. I have never taken an anatomy class and now I have all this new information to memorize. Is Kaplan just presenting this information to get you use to possible concepts passages may contain or is this information you have to know like the back of your hand for the MCAT. Thanks ^_^

  2. #2
    student-2's Avatar
    student-2 is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    552
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You will learn alot more! It's just the begining

  3. #3
    jameslynton's Avatar
    jameslynton is offline Super Moderator 48 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    outer limits reef
    Posts
    5,358
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Would not waste my time

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil65
    I am currently studding for the MCAT with Kaplan. They dedicate entire chapters to skeletal and muscle systems, Digestion, Respiration, Circulation, and Homeostasis. I have never taken an anatomy class and now I have all this new information to memorize. Is Kaplan just presenting this information to get you use to possible concepts passages may contain or is this information you have to know like the back of your hand for the MCAT. Thanks ^_^
    Ha - I hate the Kaplan stuff - most of their review is a big waste of time and effort. I took the MCAT last August and none of the above was on the MCAT. What is on the bio science is basic principles of biology and organic. The poor Kaplan smucks were sitting there reviewing organic molecule flash cards before the Bio. I did not see a molecule on the test. Some people said they had advanced physics on the tests - not true all the problems could be solved by knowing maybe 10 basic phyics principles and basic intro chemistry. Where the MCAT messes with your mind is the write up - they make the problem look harder than it is so you have to filter out the junk. In one problem they had 20 paragraphs - the problems was stated in the next to last paragraph - that answered all the questions. So practice reading quickly is my advise. Speed is the issue on the test. You have to find the info fast to solve the problems.
    I personally have a big issue with the Kaplan MCAT and USMLE review stuff. I prefered the Barron's review book for the MCAT and the Appleton and Lange or Lange review books for the USMLE. Don't be afraid to chuck a book becuase it does not work for you. I purchased all the Kaplan MCAT books after messing with them chucked them. I used the Barron's review because I had a very limited amount of time to study for the test. It was a great review and I did well after not having any of this stuff in 25 years...
    Hope this helps...you can take with a grain or two of salt what I say.

    PS - do timed practice tests to increase your speed - like I say time is not your friend in the MCAT - they use the long descriptions to hid the info to solve the problems and solutions. Know the principles!!! I do now have the Kaplan paper q-bank book. I will look at the Kaplan Step review texts. However, I will use the books that work for me.
    Last edited by jameslynton; 06-07-2006 at 09:22 PM.
    PreMed Forum Moderator

    I call it like I see it. I am not paid by ValueMD or any school. Nor do I recruit for any school.

  4. #4
    patentpending's Avatar
    patentpending is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There was a question about giving a drug and wanting to get it at a certain place that required a knowledge of the cardiopulmonary circulation. That was the only "anatomy" question though.
    I'm just going to walk around farting.

  5. #5
    dr606 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    47
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    -------------
    Last edited by dr606; 04-25-2010 at 02:01 PM.

  6. #6
    PhillyBoyInTN is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jameslynton
    Ha - I hate the Kaplan stuff - most of their review is a big waste of time and effort. I took the MCAT last August and none of the above was on the MCAT. What is on the bio science is basic principles of biology and organic. The poor Kaplan smucks were sitting there reviewing organic molecule flash cards before the Bio. I did not see a molecule on the test. Some people said they had advanced physics on the tests - not true all the problems could be solved by knowing maybe 10 basic phyics principles and basic intro chemistry. Where the MCAT messes with your mind is the write up - they make the problem look harder than it is so you have to filter out the junk. In one problem they had 20 paragraphs - the problems was stated in the next to last paragraph - that answered all the questions. So practice reading quickly is my advise. Speed is the issue on the test. You have to find the info fast to solve the problems.
    I personally have a big issue with the Kaplan MCAT and USMLE review stuff. I prefered the Barron's review book for the MCAT and the Appleton and Lange or Lange review books for the USMLE. Don't be afraid to chuck a book becuase it does not work for you. I purchased all the Kaplan MCAT books after messing with them chucked them. I used the Barron's review because I had a very limited amount of time to study for the test. It was a great review and I did well after not having any of this stuff in 25 years...
    Hope this helps...you can take with a grain or two of salt what I say.

    PS - do timed practice tests to increase your speed - like I say time is not your friend in the MCAT - they use the long descriptions to hid the info to solve the problems and solutions. Know the principles!!! I do now have the Kaplan paper q-bank book. I will look at the Kaplan Step review texts. However, I will use the books that work for me.
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you score on the MCAT?(overall and individually)

  7. #7
    jameslynton's Avatar
    jameslynton is offline Super Moderator 48 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    outer limits reef
    Posts
    5,358
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyBoyInTN
    If you don't mind me asking, what did you score on the MCAT?(overall and individually)
    You Got Me - So here it goes

    I work as a consultant in the computer wolrld - I install and config very large data warehouses. I work 45 to 55 hours per week and also travel to job sites 10+ hours a week. I am paid $110-$140 per hour. So baby I don't have much time per week to study much. I and also 55 years old. So I took the MCAT many years ago when I got 790 - 99 percentile general knowledge - highest in Emory undergrad University history - Non one has beat me ever 1972 score in general knowledge - till it ended - I got 660 my first time in science and 750 my second time and 720 in math and yes 580 in verbal. Hey, I am dyslexic. No one is perfect - I know I am not perfect - I am actually a realy bad person - I make Dr House MD look like a saint trust me here. Scroll forward from 1973-4 to 2005 - 9 Bio and 8 vocab and 6 Phy - taking the sucker cold - cold means I studyed less than 20 hours for the mother. No time and too busy. Before I walked in and took it 27 years since I had the stuff - 9 in Bio 8 in VR. Cold as could be - I applyed to three schools and go in two. The school I did not get into was one that does not take old fat farts like me. They wanted pretty young Canadian meat. Right now I am doiing better than most FMG's on the Step 1 q-banks - cold I am doing in the 40%-50%'s on good days. Have not had basic Medical science like say FMG's. You figure - Maybe I guess better, really wait till I get educated. I am sure by the time I have finished MS2 yea - I will pass the test. I have no connections they have all died. So I am out there alone.
    What's your story - you got the guts to write it? Yea baby - bare yor sul on VMD. If you dare.
    PreMed Forum Moderator

    I call it like I see it. I am not paid by ValueMD or any school. Nor do I recruit for any school.

  8. #8
    BlueEyedDevil65 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well at this point I'm kinda confused on how to go. I've decided that Kaplan just isn't cutting it for me. It's to fact based and not enough critical thinking practise. Does anyone have any suggestions as a possible route or path of study that they had tried and felt it worked well? Thanks ^_^

  9. #9
    avocado's Avatar
    avocado is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    171
    Downloads
    33
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil65
    Well at this point I'm kinda confused on how to go. I've decided that Kaplan just isn't cutting it for me. It's to fact based and not enough critical thinking practise. Does anyone have any suggestions as a possible route or path of study that they had tried and felt it worked well? Thanks ^_^
    I highly recommend you pick up the ExamKrackers study package. It focuses only on high-yield knowledge and test-taking tips. This, along with multiple practise tests, is the most efficient way to get yourself a good score (IMHO).

    Of course YMMV, but this really worked for me (11B, 8P, 12 V, and I am a physics MORON, so the 8 was a miracle). I was working and taking classes at the same time so I didn't have time to waste. BTW, there was exactly one question that required I recognise a molecule (damn you, lactone!) but I was OK with losing that one point in exchange for saving countless hours spent memorizing molecules

Similar Threads

  1. Does AUA require Mcat for US citizens and does anatomy and physiology count as Bio
    By coca747 in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM
  2. Selling: Rohen Color Atlas of Anatomy and Netter's Anatomy flash cards
    By jsong11 in forum AUC Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
  3. When will they mail out MCAT scores for the April 2003 MCAT?
    By Mariah Scary in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Site Meter