make your PB while on the medicine rotation yous all.
Wait, what's a PB you say? It's called a peripheral brain. Seriously, ya can't memorize everything; I don't care how photographic ur brain "supposedly" is. So, you make a peripheral brain.
How to make the peripheral brain.
1. get a binder. the thicker, the bigger the better.
2. use the resources of the hospital; most hospitals (well good ones) will have access to online journals.
3. take the common topics and find journal articles for them ie
ie stroke management, diabetes, chf, COPD, PE, abscess, cellulitis, and so one and print them out.
4. THIS WAY you can quote journal articles while on rounds and if you have to do admission the binder you keep in ur locker or bag will u let you sneak a peak before u go do the admission.
5. have an all purpose book like boards and wards handy, too.
WHEN you GET home, read up on your patient's. you see it, you read it. you hear about it, you read it. I don't frocking care if you read for 20mins only, just read it.
DOING a little bit everyday will def help for the shelf. the best kept secret for the shelf btw, EXAM MASTER. do it, make it your friend, it's free.
for step 2. I don't know man since I just started my rotations so i defer to the senior medics.