Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Baville is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    27
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Exclamation Anyone here managed to be exempted from some subjects?

    Advertisements
    Our members don't see this ad
    I am trying to be exempted from several subjects including Anatomy, but it seems they require at least a 3.5 grade from each completed subject of the previous institution. More hours and higher ECTS grade from the previous institution doesn't seem to matter, which I think is very unfair and strange.

    Is there anyone who had an exemption before, and did you have a minimum grade of 3.5?

  2. #2
    Elssha's Avatar
    Elssha is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    282
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    I know people who have been exempted, and I'm waiting on getting out of genetics atm.
    What they say and what you can get exempted out of aren't always exactly the same... so it's always worth a try. However, I will note that you should probably stick with the core classes (like anatomy, physio, etc) since you DO need to have those down pat. Usually people exempt from the add-on time wasting classes (biostats, biophys, sociology and public health are a few I'd suggest trying to opt out of in 1/4 if at all possible... total ** that eats time).

  3. #3
    Moldovanits is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    425
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Baville View Post
    I am trying to be exempted from several subjects including Anatomy, but it seems they require at least a 3.5 grade from each completed subject of the previous institution. More hours and higher ECTS grade from the previous institution doesn't seem to matter, which I think is very unfair and strange.

    Is there anyone who had an exemption before, and did you have a minimum grade of 3.5?

    If you can get out of anatomy and spare yourself the troubles and burden do anything you can to get out of it trust me you will thank me later, i mean its not that hard but it would be awesome. You went to another polish dental school right? So if you already took these courses you shouldn't have to again.

  4. #4
    Baville is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    27
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Moldovanits View Post
    If you can get out of anatomy and spare yourself the troubles and burden do anything you can to get out of it trust me you will thank me later, i mean its not that hard but it would be awesome. You went to another polish dental school right? So if you already took these courses you shouldn't have to again.
    Yes, I studied in Gdansk. I just got back from the Dean's office today with some bad news.

    Apparently, according to the Rules and Regulations, you will need at least 3.5 in grades from Anatomy and I only have 3.0, which means I have to repeat the subject again. But this is definitely not a fair decision when:

    1... the grade 3.0 is PASS.

    2... you already have completed the subject in the same country, thus having experienced a similar syllabus and learning system.

    3... the ECTS standard is higher in Gdansk (Gdansk's 17.0 to Lublin's 12,5). This should mean that a 3.0 grade is somewhat equal to 3.5 or more, since the standard is much lower here in Lublin.

    4... the amount of hours of lectures, seminars and exercises are more than 110% more in Gdansk.

    I will do my best to be exempted. Apparently, the Dean already made confirmation that this is their final decision, but I cannot give up so easily. I know I have the right to be exempted from this very-very difficult subject even if the Rules say I can't. Is there anyone who knows who to talk to besides the Dean? Maybe the Head of the Anatomy Department?

  5. #5
    Elssha's Avatar
    Elssha is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    282
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Just a thought... did you speak to the dean's office or did you speak with Trebacz? If the former I'd suggest asking to speak with her directly (she's the one that actually signs off on this, as far as I know).
    If you still can't get this done you may also want to go to the anatomy department and speak to Torres. Maybe offer to take an oral to prove you know it well enough and hopefully get out of actually doing the labs and stuff. If the dean's office doesn't sign you off getting a full exemption is off the table.

  6. #6
    Baville is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    27
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elssha View Post
    Just a thought... did you speak to the dean's office or did you speak with Trebacz? If the former I'd suggest asking to speak with her directly (she's the one that actually signs off on this, as far as I know).
    If you still can't get this done you may also want to go to the anatomy department and speak to Torres. Maybe offer to take an oral to prove you know it well enough and hopefully get out of actually doing the labs and stuff. If the dean's office doesn't sign you off getting a full exemption is off the table.
    I spoke to both Trebacz and the Dean's office, even in the same room.
    I know how stubborn the deans can be and she wasn't exactly an exception, so as soon as I tried to bring up my argument, she just wanted to end the discussion. Basically they didn't listen. I wasn't surprised really.
    Today I spoke to prof. Maciejewski who is apparently, not only the Head of Anatomy Dept., but also the vice-rector. Strangely, he said he couldn't do anything and that it is was up to the Deans.

    It says in the Rules and Regulations, but that's why I'm actually so pissed off. Because it's just a dumb and unfair rule.

    I tried to contact Torres, I don't know if that would help though.

  7. #7
    Elssha's Avatar
    Elssha is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    282
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    if Maciejewski said no, I doubt Torres will help you (that'd going down the ladder, not up), though it doesn't cost you to ask if you can do an exam to opt out of it since you have the hours... they might make it impossible though, just to prove you need to study more. On the up side you already know most of this stuff, so you'll probably get exempted out of the final if you work half as hard as the others are just to scrape by.

  8. #8
    Baville is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    27
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elssha View Post
    if Maciejewski said no, I doubt Torres will help you (that'd going down the ladder, not up), though it doesn't cost you to ask if you can do an exam to opt out of it since you have the hours... they might make it impossible though, just to prove you need to study more. On the up side you already know most of this stuff, so you'll probably get exempted out of the final if you work half as hard as the others are just to scrape by.
    Yeah, but that's not really the point. Why should I pay for the courses again if I already passed them?

  9. #9
    Elssha's Avatar
    Elssha is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    282
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    erm... you're not paying per course.
    And if they won't count it, there's little else you CAN do, short of trying to see if they'd count it at a diff med school -__-;

  10. #10
    Baville is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    27
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elssha View Post
    erm... you're not paying per course.
    And if they won't count it, there's little else you CAN do, short of trying to see if they'd count it at a diff med school -__-;
    If most of the 1st year courses become exempted, then I don't have to pay for them. Obviously, they won't exempt me from anatomy because I wouldn't have to pay if they were. Especially for the courses I now did get exemptions from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pre-Med subjects
    By Futuredoc64 in forum Windsor University School of Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 03:54 PM
  2. anyone exempted from taking the entrance exam at Semelweise?
    By harry011 in forum Hungarian Medical Schools
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
  3. How do I get exempted form the first couple of micro labs
    By Prash P in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
  4. HY all subjects
    By ilovetahira in forum USMLE Step 1 Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 01:09 PM
  5. HY subjects
    By Desidoc in forum USMLE Step 1 Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Site Meter