Did anyone else get the wonderful e-mail from HMI stating that the convention is canceled and that ---------- oh by the way!!!! --- we may not get the federal loans.... because.... yeah why exactly? Something about adverse effects of not reporting your USMLE scores (what????) Did anyone else get the feeling that even though we are told to wait and see, the tone of the letter is much as if has already happened? So what now?
i just got this email too, and have no idea about whats going on, i had already bought my ticket and reserved the hotel and theres no way i can get a refund for the ticket, its complete **, on top of that i called arun archarya, what he told me to do was write an email to him. i already got a private loan, but what im confused about is are we not going to be getting any of the subsidized and unsubsidized loans or just the direct loans.
what i don't understand is 14 days ago they just got approved and today they find out they might no longer have it anymore how does that make any sense??
msrandhawa - what private loan did you get and for how much? Looks like private loans will be our only option. What did Arun tell you to e-mail him about?
Crane- Surely not a thing to say to someone who just found out they may not be going to medical school......... As for how radical your response is .... exactly what you said: SUBSTANDARD!!! No further comments....
i applied for 20 thousand, but hopefully they can increase the limit, its from sallie mae. i was expecting the fafsa 20,500 loan we should've been getting, allowing me a 40500 limit. this is utter b.s. because i think i might have to apply for a loan yet again just to increase my limit.
i submitted a mpn through fafsa and i received an email today saying Thank you for submitting a Direct Loan Program electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN). We will send an electronic confirmation of your completed MPN to COLLEGIUM NOVUM within 24 hours.
Mold- they sent us an e-mailed letter that states that the convention has been canceled and all activities of the convention have been moved to orientation week. They also said that they are not sure if we will get any of the federal loans because the US dep of edu. sent them some kind of a guideline (whatever that means) regarding the USMLE scores. That in the past they were assessing the scores based on voluntary reports by the students but the students that chose not to report their scores will apparently have "adverse" effects on the distribution of the federal loans. Pretty much I think what they were trying to say is that the government will not give us loans anymore because the passing rate on the USMLE is so low (???) At least I think that's what was said.... At the end of the letter they said sorry for letting everyone know so late but they just received the info themselves. Also "if you want to defer your admission or cancel your application that is understandable" They said they are not sure yet and they will keep us updated on what the department of edu will decide, but from the tone of the letter one could pretty much deduce that it already happened. Than they VERY BRIEFLY mentioned "alternate" options - didn't bother to elaborate though.... So there!
What exactly is the grad loan? I haven't looked at that yet - is it a private loan or gov? If it's private than I guess we don't have to worry - we will still get it... but if it's gov than..... hmmmm .... pack your bags.... I guess.... I don't know --- I'm so furious right now. If it would not be so late I would apply to Poznan, but all the deadlines have passed already!