I study in Lodz medical university in Poland, and for all the ppl. want to study medicine in Poland, Lodz medical university s u c k s, I wonít respond to any reply to this thread, and I am not here to convince anyone anything, u may find out whether what I say is true by yourself, but got to be aware that students study here in Lodz med may boast about their university because they need a good reputation of their university to earn jobs back in States. But let me tell you, I donít see any up side of this 4 yr English program, instead, lots of inhumane down sides:
1. first of all, several tutors/professors canít speak comprehensible English in class or in hospital. Best examples are those from Gross Anatomy department, of the 1st yr studying, they also give lectures/Labs to 6 year English program, for 2 whole semesters, all students learn from classes are the images of mumbling teachers, we will have to learn Anatomy(the heart of Medicine) by self-grind-reading, if u canít believe me, just simply go asking some med-students-specific Anatomy questions to those graduate from here.
2. lectures are given in Power Point, but tons of them are copy-paste sentences from Internet and lack of context, more than half of doctors(2+half yr up when doing rotation in hospital) canít answer your questions directly with scientific aspect or mechanisms, because they had left med schools for long, they donít remember those basic knowledge, itís ok, we understand, but can we have some formal tutors (we donít need a very powerful doctor without med-student knowledge to teach us knowledge) who can really clarify studentsí doubts? Especially before we step in hospital facing patients? No, thatís all English-speaking men school got.
3. school promise their curriculum will be USMLE-oriented, just like what Poznan does, but itís not true, students have to on-duty/night duty in hospital as early as the beginning of 3rd yr studying, students got no time to study, no matter for school exams or USMLE, well, starting from the last 1/3 of 2nd yr studying, students are already staying in hospital all day (generally AM8-PM5) walking around with doctors who are responsible for u, sometimes those doctors are English-incomprehensible, and so as patients are! So how to spend time when we face these Lost-in-Translation situations? Staring at ceiling? Read your pocket med book in front of patients? Or read them while walking? Choose one. Basically school make u lack of time gaining med-student knowledge, those are important in USMLE. So do we gain more doctor-patient experiences than those students from other medical universities? Sorry, we donít speak Polish. Whatís the point to stay in hospitals for so many hours? We are so exhausted, for lost-in-translation, standing, walking, without learning.
3. so did school listen to our suggestions? Both yes and no. School office and Dean always get news from those immature students complaining about the other students.
ďdear dean, somebody in my year has final exam questions from last year, itís not fair for me, pls consult whoever in charge to revise exam questions.Ē --- so the exam changed its date, his classmates all have to modify the date of their plane tickets back home.
ďdear dean, we want to learn more, pls round out our hospital schedule, and give us more lectures.Ē --- so we have such an intense schedule in hospital as he personally prefer, but do we have more lectures? Noooooo!!!
ďdear dean, some students from my class keep skipping classes, without getting any penalty, pls sentence him.Ē ---so nowadays students will have to pay 1040 polish zloty (367 Dollars) for ONE day absence, to make up the day (to cruise in hospital), before student can sit in final exam. What about if I got cold on that day? Sorry, got to go hospital, to spread virus to those immunocompromised patients. And, I doubt where the penalty money go?? Cuz according to tutors who do the make up class for us, they didnít get so much money. ----ŗSchool office!!!
ďdear dean, my classmate had a gun. and he hates meĒ --- ***!!
And blablabla so on so on.
soÖ..what happened to these future doctors?????
And what happened to dean and school office? You donít make changes in response to every single studentís singular event, at the same time neglecting majorityís opinions.
4.School office secretaries of 4 year program are just so mean, very very mean. When they (3 of them) are busy, (I donít see reasons for them to get busy, they donít care about students, they exploit students, several examples will be revealed some other time) they are so emotionally labile, they need Anger Management. From time to time we heard students were threaten by them. They generally create problems than solving them.
5. lecture halls, hospitals are located far apart, sometimes you have to take bus across the entire city to get to the next lecture spot. This is really really troublesome, esp. during winter. I hate it!
6. most importantly, Lodz med university diploma is now not recongnized in several states in USA, like California, and 5 other states, can't remember now, remember to check it out before u apply Lodz, otherwise u get an useless diploma after 4 years.