Here is some information for students considering attending MUA. From an MUA STUDENT! First off, as an mua student my opinion may be a little bias (of course we would all like to say we go to the best school), however i will try to simply state facts.
1) As far as going to any island to study medicine, i believe Nevis is by far the best for many reasons. -first there are not too many distractions as nevis is more of a quiete get away island. i mean imagine going to school in st martin (a crazy tourist island), which by the way is my favorite island becuase its so much fun, however its not a place where I (me personally) can study. if your the type of person who gets distracted easily (like me) then nevis is where you should go.
-second reason. i know you here all this stuff about nevis being the safest island from mua officials, i can not speak for other islands as i do not know, however i have been in nevis for over a year and never felt unsafe. of course there have been people who have got there house broken into or whatever, but i have only heard of like 3 robberies since i have been here. everywhere you go will have crime, but i do think nevis is very safe.
-three- most local people here are nice, and have strong religous beliefs, which is good to know. however there are a lot who really hate the students and are obviously racist, which is very unfortunate. but you dont interact much with locals, becuase your constantly busy with school.
-four- nice beaches with noone there, so you can actually study on the beach if you like.
2)Faculity: I can honestly tell you that i was EXTREMELY surprised with the faculity here. they are the best teachers i have ever had, and thats no bull, they are very laid back down to earth people who love to teach, and are very good at it. they will do anything to make you learn this stuff. i went to one of the top undergrad universities, and i can honestly say some of these professors here are by far better than any professor i had.
3) Dean T: by far the most caring person i have met. loves to teach, and truly loves medicine.
-he is the SMARTEST person i have ever met. he really motivates you to want to learn and get at his level.
-he really cares about his students ( i mean the guy gives his personal cell phone number to the students, and tells you to call him anytime day or night if you have ANY problem) which if very comforting.
4) new building: i have walked in the new building and it is a very nice building, really nice classrooms with really comfortable seats (however they are kind of close to each other).
-building is overlooking the water and has 2 huge balconies facing the water.
- there is a GYM!! in the new building. personally im sick of working out at these crap gyms. i need some real equipment.
5) school has 2 buses, so you could live here without a car. which is good esp if your on a tight budget
1) Rotations: i can imagine this is one of the biggest factor for most people considering a school. MUA currently only has 9 rotation sites. so if your hoping to do a rotation in your state, chances are mua does not have affiliations. you will here all this garbage about mua getting new sites, dont believe it, until they actually get the site. there is a rumor about mua getting a whole bunch of new sites, but when i emailed Dr. ******* the head of clinical dpt. she said this is all rumors. i personally dont mind where i do my rotations, but many people might.
2) mua does not have a site in the US for 5th term, as does Ross and AUC and even Windsor (lol). it is not exactly cheap to fly out here, esp. for canadian students.
3)library is small, and poorly deigned. for example anytime someone walks in and out you see them. but there is a back section which is more secluded. however the dean (being the caring person he is) allows us to study in classrooms as well, becuase the library gets too crowded.
4) loans: no federal loans
all in all i think mua is very good, and profesional. if your considering attending here, prepare yourself for a tough curriculum.
if any students have questions about mua you can msg me.