Digestion involves a complex system of structures and functions that must work together in harmony to properly break down and obtain nutrients from food. Read on to discover natural ways to support the various aspects of digestion.
Scientific studies show that irritability or disordered function of the upper and lower digestive tract may occur together. For example, discomfort or dysfunction in the bowel may represent a lack of harmony throughout the gastrointestinal tract and may affect the entire digestive system.
Upper and lower digestive problems are commonly caused by alterations in the functions of the digestive tract. Minor upper abdominal pain and sour stomach is most often called dyspepsia. There are about 25 million people with functional dyspepsia when upper abdominal pain and digestive upset occurs in the absence of ulcer or disease.
Nearly every bathroom cabinet in the nation contains one or more digestive aids, including antacids and other over-the-counter (OTC) pills that reduce the secretion of stomach acid. These popular digestive medications are often used in a premature or inappropriate manner without attention to positive changes in lifestyle and nutritional support with natural substances and dietary supplements.
Many supplements can effectively help to restore balance to gastrointestinal function. However, it must be said that serious digestive symptoms, such as difficulty swallowing, significant change in bowel habits or bleeding should cause an individual to seek medical advice immediately and avoid self-medication.
A number of dietary supplements can be combined together to support many different structures and functions of the digestive system. There are six major ways of supporting digestive function naturally:
Innovative dietary supplements that provide holistic support for digestive function are becoming more prevalent. Products that contain a combination of probiotics, prebiotics, enzymes, detoxifying substances and natural agents are preferred because of cost effectiveness and synergistic support for all aspects of digestive health.
- BACTERIAL BALANCE: Taking probiotics (healthy bacteria) that can grow and flourish in the lower bowels may produce a variety of benefits for both digestion and overall health. Prebiotics, which feed healthy bacteria, can provide even further benefit.
- FOOD BREAKDOWN: A variety of different enzymes is available to help break down and digest food (including dairy, fats, carbohydrates and more), which may improve digestion and nutrient absorption. These enzymes can be combined with systemic enzymes which have several health benefits.
- DETOXIFICATION: Certain natural herbs or botanicals can support the role of the liver in eliminating toxins from food and the body.
- STRUCTURE SUPPORT: A variety of natural substances (e.g., glutamine) can help support the lining of the digestive tract, which is a very active and crucial component of the digestive system and of the body.
- ANTIOXIDANT NOURISHMENT: Many clinicians have underestimated the value of antioxidants, contained within several botanicals, for the promotion of digestive and general body health.
- REGULARITY: Assistance in evacuating the colon, a form of body cleansing, can be achieved with several herbs, as well as dietary fiber.