National is typically considered one of the best chiropractic programs for their science-based curriculum. However, how well do their graduates perform in the field? According to National's website:
The Council on Chiropractic Education and the Student Right-To-Know and Campus Security Act require the disclosure of graduation rates. Based on full-time degree seeking students who began their DC program in Fall 2004, the graduation rate for this cohort was 81.0% after meeting a 150% time-to-completion requirement. Students of National University occasionally fail to graduate for a variety of reasons including but not limited to: death, illness, transfer, family, academic, etc.
The most recent Federal Stafford loan default rate, as reported by the Department of Education, was in October 2010, which calculated a default rate of 1.2% for National University borrowers. The Department of Education maintains a listing of the cohort default rate for all postsecondary schools here. We are proud of our consistently low default rates that show that our graduates are able to make their repayment obligations.
Placement Rates and Professional Success
National University has been surveying graduates every five years for the last 20 years. In that time, the figures on graduates still practicing as chiropractic physicians after 5, 10, 15, and 20 years have remained very stable. Generally, 95% are practicing as DCs. Of the remaining 5%, some are teaching, doing research, have moved to a different state/province, or are having health/disability issues, etc. National is working on gathering information from graduates of the ND, MSAc and MSOM programs as the first graduates of those programs began practicing in 2009 and 2010.
To my National chiropractic students/alumni: based on your personal experience, are these statements accurate? I am interested because I will be attending National starting January 2013.