Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    lsu09 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    AMA accredidation

    Advertisements



    This might be a stupid question, but is AUC accredited by the AMA? I ask this because I plan on going into the Navy Medical Corps and you must have graduated from an institution accredited by the AMA or the AOA.

  2. #2
    teratos's Avatar
    teratos is offline Jedi Moderator 657 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Bridge of the Executor
    Posts
    11,315
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lsu09 View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but is AUC accredited by the AMA? I ask this because I plan on going into the Navy Medical Corps and you must have graduated from an institution accredited by the AMA or the AOA.
    I don't believe the AMA accredits anything. The LCME accredits North American schools, but not caribbean schools. I know people in the Army and Air Force who went to AUC, for what it's worth. G
    AUC Class of '99
    Bored certified
    I may be a jerk, but I'm a Jedi jerk like my father.

    Some say I look like Buzz Lightyear....
    (They're right)

    DISCLAIMER: I have no financial stake in ValueMD, or any medical school.

  3. #3
    lsu09 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teratos View Post
    I don't believe the AMA accredits anything. The LCME accredits North American schools, but not caribbean schools. I know people in the Army and Air Force who went to AUC, for what it's worth. G

    yea that's what I thought, but on the navy's website it says that a graduate's school must be accredited by the AMA or the AOA

  4. #4
    RfisherMD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,063
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The LCME accredits the Medical Schools in the US.

    From the LCME FAQ page: "The LCME is jointly sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association (AMA). The AAMC and the AMA each appoint an LCME Secretary and maintain accreditation offices in Washington, D.C. and Chicago, respectively." So, I guess in a way the AMA has a say in accredidation.

  5. #5
    Tipton's Avatar
    Tipton is offline School Official 6126 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    St. George's Univ of London
    Posts
    5,088
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The meat of this issue is that you are not able to gain a military scholarship while attending an off-shore (not LCME accredited) medical school. Military loan-repaymetn programs exist once an MD gains Residency and makes a comittment to a particular Service.

  6. #6
    rnagy54's Avatar
    rnagy54 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    325
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lsu09 View Post
    yea that's what I thought, but on the navy's website it says that a graduate's school must be accredited by the AMA or the AOA
    I called the Navy before I got in to see if they would be willing to pay for school. After 2-3 weeks of run around and them trying to get me to sign before a definite answer, it was "no". The school has to be in a US territory (they would accept Puerto Rico). Sorry. This might have changed in 5 years, but I doubt it.

    After you graduate, they will take you. I have gotten all that approved, however, my wife won't let me. Says "you have been all over the place and I don't want you to be blown up and leave me with >$200k in debt". So, it is possible and they give GREAT stipends and loan repayment.

    Ryan
    Last edited by rnagy54; 01-10-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: duh
    Combined Med-Peds residency at Michigan State University/KCMS on inpatient peds right now and loving it!

    ...Winners don't even realize they are in a race... they just like to run.

  7. #7
    lsu09 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnagy54 View Post
    I called the Navy before I got in to see if they would be willing to pay for school. After 2-3 weeks of run around and them trying to get me to sign before a definite answer, it was "no". The school has to be in a US territory (they would accept Puerto Rico). Sorry. This might have changed in 5 years, but I doubt it.

    After you graduate, they will take you. I have gotten all that approved, however, my wife won't let me. Says "you have been all over the place and I don't want you to be blown up and leave me with >$200k in debt". So, it is possible and they give GREAT stipends and loan repayment.

    Ryan
    haha that's why I plan to stay single for a loooonng time...but seriously thanks for the info, I guess I'll just take a loan out and then have them repay it for me six of one, half a dozen of another, right

Similar Threads

  1. accredidation
    By bucoexplor300 in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 01:34 PM
  2. Accredidation Confusion...
    By Ibrahim110 in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 05:02 PM
  3. Accredidation for Jackson Park Hospital
    By _dipine in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 10:18 PM
  4. Accredidation of school
    By fisa813 in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 11:47 AM
  5. why doesn't Ross pursue accredidation in the U.S.??
    By lostone in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Site Meter